September 30, 2014, 04:48:52 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D MkIII difficult assignment. REALLY low light show coverage issues.  (Read 9833 times)

VanWeddings

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • VanWeddings: Vancouver Wedding Photographer, Vancouver Wedding Videos
This is when 24-70 f2.8 mrkII with "IS" can be very usefull

indeed. the tamron 24-70 2.8 vc would also be ideal for this job

canon rumors FORUM

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
what i don't get is how the tripod is somehow to big...set cam to tripod, then just fold legs when done and carry...I kind of don't agree with the idea of more flash power, unless you were taking it off cam, but then you've really got a lot to carry.  A tripods really not much to take around with you though, unless you have some giant beast of a tripod meant to hold 50+ lbs for astrophotography or something...

also, if no tripod, from what i have seen of the mkiii, crank that ISO - high iso performance is one of that bodies best attributes!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Very nice pics, thanks for sharing!  :)

Did you get a chance to hear the YG acoustics?

Yes, they had several rooms featuring various YG acoustics speakers, and as they are built from CNC-aluminum cabinet, they always sound very clean, clear, and smooth.  Only problem is the price.

Ahh...still putting out good old McIntosh amps....man, I love those things..their old tube amps.

Stereos that 'glow'.....are cool, and sound soooo good!!!

Lot's of high dollar gear at this show!

C

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Nice.  Your 5D3 was the LEAST expensive thing in the room!
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
what i don't get is how the tripod is somehow to big...set cam to tripod, then just fold legs when done and carry...I kind of don't agree with the idea of more flash power, unless you were taking it off cam, but then you've really got a lot to carry.  A tripods really not much to take around with you though, unless you have some giant beast of a tripod meant to hold 50+ lbs for astrophotography or something...

also, if no tripod, from what i have seen of the mkiii, crank that ISO - high iso performance is one of that bodies best attributes!

No arguments however certain venues will not let you bring it in... Some venues even frown on monopods...  Some venues dont like pro cameras regardless...  This is where a photographer needs to do homework before hand to find out what is, what isn't, what gray areas a certain venue may have BEFORE going. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
A couple of things:

First, please chill with the photos.  I thought you were just trying to show us some examples, not your entire portfolio of the event.

I enjoyed looking at each and everyone  :)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com

I'm not saying that they were terrible pictures or anything.  Just imagine if everyone posted 50 pictures every time they posted.  All I'm saying is that there are certain "accepted" practices, and posting 40,000 pictures isn't one of them. 
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

canon rumors FORUM

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile

I'm not saying that they were terrible pictures or anything.  Just imagine if everyone posted 50 pictures every time they posted.  All I'm saying is that there are certain "accepted" practices, and posting 40,000 pictures isn't one of them.

Easy on the hyperbole.

Quackator

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
The main problem seems to be that you didn't match ambient and flash in color.
Tripod and HDR would have been another solution.

I don't see this assignment as so difficult.

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com

about matching colors - thats something that is really simple to do.  just buy a set of rosco gels for like 10 bucks.  it comes with 100 or so in varying colors.  then, match the flash with the color temp of the lights in the building.  make sure you shoot in raw, because you will probably have to seriously adjust the white balance afterwards unless you set a good custom white balance.  that way the light from the flash doesn't stand out as a white light against yellow, blue, or green (depending on the light source).  if there are fluorescent, tungsten, halogen, and sun while you're using your flash then good luck.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
Easy on the hyperbole.

rough day. i went a little overboard - i apologize.  thank goodness we still don't have the smite button...
---

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile

about matching colors - thats something that is really simple to do.  just buy a set of rosco gels for like 10 bucks.  it comes with 100 or so in varying colors.  then, match the flash with the color temp of the lights in the building.  make sure you shoot in raw, because you will probably have to seriously adjust the white balance afterwards unless you set a good custom white balance.  that way the light from the flash doesn't stand out as a white light against yellow, blue, or green (depending on the light source).  if there are fluorescent, tungsten, halogen, and sun while you're using your flash then good luck.

Sorry for the extreme noob questions...but how does one go in 'matching' the color of the room lights with a gel? Is there a meter you use to find the room light color temperature...and use a chart to match it to a gel?

Thanks in advance,

C

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
Different lights give off different colors.  Most tungsten lights (normal house lamps) give off an orange color, so I use some sort of CTO orange gel on my flash, fluorescent gives off green, so there are gels for that, and halogen and the sun tend to be bluer, so there are gels for that.

There are ways of testing, but the best way I found is to simply take a shot with the flash and the other lights in the room.  Then, if you see two different colors put a matching gel on your flash to even them out.  This makes indoor flash shots look a lot better, and I'm not just being nitpicky. If you are taking pics of the interior of a house and you have huge exposure extremes with the windows open and lights on you pretty much have to use a flash or two, then you will definitely notice a massive diffence with the gels on and off in terms of a nice even color all the way around.
---

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Why not post a link to your flickr page, or limit your post to 4 images?  It is really annoying to have my computer hang while it is downloaing dozens of images.  Not everyone has gigabit internet.

By the time my computer came back to life, I was too disgusted to enjoy the ton of images.

...and you spend all that time on the internet commenting? This was not helpful.

I'd like to be helpful, but I do not want to spend all my time on the internet waiting for them to download. 

I thought that was a helpful hint for the poster to give him some feedback.

What helpful comment did ypou post??

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
I enjoyed all the photos too.

I LOVE hi-fi, me!

It was my money-drain before photography.

I noticed the pair of Spendor speakers; I used to have SP1 speakers before I got burgled and some **** stole them.

Those ones look kinda like the size of SP1s, but with only 2 drivers like SP2s.

Now I use Dynaudio Audience 52SE, which are smaller and have less bass, but awesome mid and treble.

I'd use electrostatics if I had a bigger room.

Once I've finished buying photo gear (heh, yeah... ), I wanna go back and put more dosh into the hi-fi and get a nice valve amp. Used to have QUAD IIs when I was 18-21 but sold them as I was a poor student. TDP has reworked the QUAD II into a new version, or I might just think about getting one of his own EAR amps.

But I still have at least 3 lenses to buy! Extender 2x, 85Lf/1.2, 24-70LII.

Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM