July 30, 2014, 05:16:19 AM

Author Topic: Looking for travel zoom  (Read 8683 times)

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for travel zoom
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 10:26:35 PM »
Yeah I am either getting the 70-200L f4is or nothing as far as zoom. I also am going to look into that toploader bag for the zoo. Sounds like the bag I was looking for.

One suggestion -- assuming that what you really want is a small kit.

Just bring a long slowish zoom (70-300L or 70-200 f/4) and maybe a not too big normal lens (either the 24-105 OR the 50 f/1.4). Forget the flashes. And don't bring more than one lens with you on any given outing, that way you are just hauling a camera around, not a camera plus a load of gear.

The small fixed length cameras like the G1X don't really solve your problem because they don't have enough reach. You'd need to go at least micro 4/3 to do this (e.g. the Panasonic 100-300 gives you 600mm equivalent, not bad for a 1lb lens) .

But in your case I think you could do quite well with a full frame if you choose your kit carefully instead of trying to pack everything.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 10:26:35 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 11:23:01 PM »
I really like the Flipside series for two reasons. First, the main compartment opens against your back, making casual unzip-and-grab theft more difficult. Second, I find it makes lens changes easier - you slip it off the shoulders and pull it to the front, and the bag becomes a platform for the lens change. Alternatively, if you do want to remove it like a traditional backpack, at least when you set it down, the side that rests on the ground isn't the side that goes against your clothes.

One more suggestion, along the lines of one lens per outing. I'm not sure that works - at the zoo or Sea World, you'll likely need the 200/300mm end (animals in enclosures, kids on rides) and the wide angle for closer family shots.  The 'one lens' can work if you pick one or the other type of shot (or in my case, where that one lens is the 28-300L).  One thing that might work, though, is to take just the long lens, and use the S100 for close/wide shots.

What I've found on many trips (not considering the superzoom) is that two lenses works well, e.g. standard zoom + telezoom for daytime outing, switch to standard zoom + fast prime for evening-to-night outing, etc.  The issue then is how to carry the spare lens.  Personally, I've used several solutions.  My camera is always carried on a BlackRapid strap.  I sometimes also carry the Toploader with a Lens Case attached, over the other shoulder, straps crossing on my chest - that holds the spare lens, but is a bit bulky with excess empty space. Alternatively, I use a Lowepro Deluxe Technical Belt - a bit Batman-esque, granted, but functional. BR strap with camera hanging on the right side, left side has a Lowepro Lens Case sized for the larger of the pair (meaning it will hold the smaller one, too), a water bottle holder, cell phone holder, etc.  I've also done two lens cases, and it's comfortable.

Back to the 70-200/4 IS vs. 70-300L issue, having just been to an amusement park with the kids, 300mm on FF was very nice, and 200mm would have not been as effective. Likewise, as a former SD resident and Zoo member, the longer the better.  There's a 10 oz. difference in weight. I know that adds up, but selecting a bag with two shoulder straps and ideally a hip belt will more than make up for 10 oz. in better weight distribution.  Having a good pack makes weight less of a concern. What is a concern, to me at least, is size - I'd find the 1" shorter (retracted) length of the 70-300L to be an advantage that outweighs the weight gain - shorter length means it fits 'upright' (vertical) in a bag, taking up much less space than a lens that needs to lay on its side, possibly meaning you get a smaller bag.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
I use a 70-200 f4 L IS all the time.  Its exceptionally sharp.  Much lighter then the f2.8 and works extremely well with a 1.4x TC if you need a little extra reach.  One of my favorite lenses actually... and one of my sharpest.

IIIHobbs

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
In Disney World this year, I only had the 16-35 on my 40D (24-55 equiv) and found it perfect for photos of the family in the Park. The venues are close and a long lens really isn't necessary. We also had a Powershot (with a 28 - 112 equiv) to capture video and more candid moments.
Unless you are really wanting close ups the feature animals at Sea World, I think the kit lens is going to be all you need. I even question the need for the 50 other than for speed indoors; the 5DIII really shines in low light.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:58:36 AM by IIIHobbs »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 11:38:17 PM »
In Disney World this year, I only had the 16-35 on my 40D (24-55 equiv) and found it perfect for photos of the family in the Park. The venues are close and a long lens really isn't necessary. We also had a Powershot (with a 28 - 112 equiv) to capture video and more candid moments.
Unless you are really wanting close ups the feature animals at Sea World, I think the kit lens is going to be all you need. I even question the need for the 50 other than for speed indoors; the 5DIII really shines in low light.

I am pretty sure my kit lens will be fine. My concern is san Diego zoo, sea world , etc. I may bring the cheap 70-300 just for a travel zoom and dump it later when I decide where to go after the trip. Was really hoping for mirror less solution in time.
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 12:46:27 AM »
Shooting with a crop body so its apples and oranges.  For what its worth here is what I took last week on a similar trip:

Yeah but my concern is the weight with two 5 year olds and going to the zoo, sea world, disneyland.
Unless you don't plan to go on rides and such at Disneyland, I would  suggest a nice P&S instead of lots of gear.  Last week at Disneyland was the first time I traveled light with only my S100.  I really loved the freedom and enjoyed the park more (not worrying about getting wet, etc).  Enjoy your kids, when the get big they're a pain in the you know what.  For the Zoo and SW, definitely take your real stuff and a long lens--way better and more photo opportunities there.

Disneyland
S100
Ziploc bag for wet rides
Extra battery, SD card
Lowepro Dublin 20 Slim Profile Pouch

San Diego walk-around setup
7D
16-35
24-105
Extra batteries, CF card, blower, brush
Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW with attached Lowepro Lens Case - 9 x 13cm

San Diego Zoo setup (actually never made it there, a whole another story >:()
7D
70-200 F4 IS
16-35
24-105
Lens hoods (all 3)
Lowepro Flipside 300

... I first need to find a sling bag to hold all that and need to cover the telephoto area without adding a 2.5-3lb lens....

Get the best bag for the job even if it means multiples bags  (my wife recently discovered all my bags and said "I don't want to hear another word about my purses.")   ???

IIIHobbs

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
I first need to find a sling bag to hold all that

Take a look at the Think Tank "Speed" bags (three sizes available).

I need to cover the telephoto area without adding a 2.5-3lb lens. I need to pack relatively light. Again I just don't want to go with a p&S like the s100.

Take the 5D, the 24-105 kit lens and then add the 70-300L (leave the 50 behind). This will give you the added reach and still allow you to back off for some candid expressions. I agree with others that the non-L will not give you the results you want.

Also, take what you need each day (or half day). There is no reason to carry your whole arsenal to the zoo or the park.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:58:09 AM by IIIHobbs »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 11:48:18 PM »
Shooting with a crop body so its apples and oranges.  For what its worth here is what I took last week on a similar trip:

Yeah but my concern is the weight with two 5 year olds and going to the zoo, sea world, disneyland.
Unless you don't plan to go on rides and such at Disneyland, I would  suggest a nice P&S instead of lots of gear.  Last week at Disneyland was the first time I traveled light with only my S100.  I really loved the freedom and enjoyed the park more (not worrying about getting wet, etc).  Enjoy your kids, when the get big they're a pain in the you know what.  For the Zoo and SW, definitely take your real stuff and a long lens--way better and more photo opportunities there.

Disneyland
S100
Ziploc bag for wet rides
Extra battery, SD card
Lowepro Dublin 20 Slim Profile Pouch

San Diego walk-around setup
7D
16-35
24-105
Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW with attached Lowepro Lens Case - 9 x 13cm

San Diego Zoo setup (actually never made it there, a whole another story >:()
7D
70-200 F4 IS
16-35
24-105
Lens hoods (all 3)
Lowepro Flipside 300

... I first need to find a sling bag to hold all that and need to cover the telephoto area without adding a 2.5-3lb lens....

Get the best bag for the job even if it means multiples bags  (my wife recently discovered all my bags and said "I don't want to hear another word about my purses.")   ???

I am down to my body and kit lens. I will bring just the 270 ex ii and probably snag the new 40mm pancake for lower light. I just picked up an S100 so can't wait to see what kind of quality pics I can take with it and how far it will take me without having to break out the dslr every photo op. I am still unsure on the zoom. I am likely to rent the 70-300l and get the flipside 300 or tamrac evo 6. Still not sure.

On another note I have been heavily considering the new t4i with it's kit 18-135mm and the 40mm pancake and just the lowepro 102aw for the trip. That would cover most of my needs and be as lightweight as possible. Just not sure I want to invest that much in a backup body when I could use more lenses first covering more range. Also that was why I wanted the new camera for the trip and here I sit wanting less. I guess I am trying to think of fun with the family and not be a wanna be pro walking around with all this gear. Yeah it will yield nice shots but at what cost like everyone here has said. You would think this would be an easy decision but I am not sure how many years it will be before I will be back again so the photog in me wants the best. It does not guarantee the shots will be perfect and I will be able to focus on the shot vs my kids pulling me in every direction.
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 10:37:08 AM »
I just picked up an S100 so can't wait to see what kind of quality pics I can take with it and how far it will take me without having to break out the dslr every photo op. I am still unsure on the zoom. I am likely to rent the 70-300l and get the flipside 300 or tamrac evo 6. Still not sure.

On another note I have been heavily considering the new t4i with it's kit 18-135mm and the 40mm pancake and just the lowepro 102aw for the trip.

The S100 is a great little camera, IMO an ideal complement to the dSLR.  I took it on rides with the kids - manual control allows lots of creativity (slow shutter shots on the carousel, for example.

Glad to see you leaning to the 70-300L.  ;)  Personally, I'd recommend against the Rebel - it's not nearly as responsive as your 5DIII, and I think when you got home, you'd look over your pictures compared to ones from the 5DIII, and say, "What the @&!$%#* was I thinking?"

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »
If I needed range beyond 135mm, I would go with a 70-200mm f/4, paired with either a 17-40mm f/4 or a 35mm f/1.4.

If I didn't need anything beyond 135mm, I would go with a 24-105mm f/4 and a 135mm f/2.

I also feel that the 24-105mm f/4 is the single most versatile lens in the Canon lineup, unless you need distance, in which case the 70-200mm lenses are more versatile.

For on-the-go shooting, I swear by my Lowepro SlingShot.

krjc

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 12:24:26 AM »
Sounds to me like the best combo would be the 28-300L with the 5DIII.  One lens does it all and with the great low light capability of the camera all angles are covered. What am I missing with this combo. I was planning on getting this lens for my trip to the Philippines next January.
Now-> Cameras: 7D, 5D3, T4i, G12 Lens: 24-105, 10-22 EFS, 17-55EFS, 50 1.4, 100 2.8 macro IS, 70-200 2.8IS II, 100-400, TC 2 III, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x, 16-35 F4 L

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 12:29:35 AM »
I just picked up an S100 so can't wait to see what kind of quality pics I can take with it and how far it will take me without having to break out the dslr every photo op. I am still unsure on the zoom. I am likely to rent the 70-300l and get the flipside 300 or tamrac evo 6. Still not sure.

On another note I have been heavily considering the new t4i with it's kit 18-135mm and the 40mm pancake and just the lowepro 102aw for the trip.

The S100 is a great little camera, IMO an ideal complement to the dSLR.  I took it on rides with the kids - manual control allows lots of creativity (slow shutter shots on the carousel, for example.

Glad to see you leaning to the 70-300L.  ;)  Personally, I'd recommend against the Rebel - it's not nearly as responsive as your 5DIII, and I think when you got home, you'd look over your pictures compared to ones from the 5DIII, and say, "What the @&!$%#* was I thinking?"

Your right at this point I am bringing the 70-? L or nothing else. I think the rebel will be a step backwards. Just not sure if I want to spring the money Or rent.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »
Sounds to me like the best combo would be the 28-300L with the 5DIII.  One lens does it all and with the great low light capability of the camera all angles are covered. What am I missing with this combo. I was planning on getting this lens for my trip to the Philippines next January.

You're missing something to cover low light indoors and outdoor ambient night shooting.  In addition to the 28-300L, I often bring a 35L and/or a Speedlite.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 11:28:27 PM »
Definetly not bringing a 3.7 lb lens on a vacation with kids. I have had a little chance to play with my new s100 but it definitely could not be my only camera on vacation. I think a zoom is in order. Really tempted to think about a t4i with tamron 17-50 2.8 and 70-300mm for the trip and call it a day. I could fit all that in a lowepro 102aw. Also costs quite a bit for a vacation.

Mike Miami

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 07:13:49 AM »
Was in the same boat. Ended up getting a Canon SX 260 HS. Was at Disney last week and it worked great. The IS really helped with roller coaster vid's. Its got a terrific zoom. Fits in pocket pocket for wet rides. Battery is weak but bought (4) knock offs for $13.00 total that worked fine, enough power for the day/night.
I didnt have my 5D3 and L's with me so I wasnt tempted to stray away from the wife and kids to take more detailed shots and wasnt holding them up while I searched for the perfect angle.
Very satisfied with my decision, wife and kids even happier!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 07:13:49 AM »