September 23, 2014, 10:57:09 PM

Author Topic: The Flash Bracket? Do they really matter anymore?  (Read 21300 times)

briansquibb

Re: The Flash Bracket? Do they really matter anymore?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »
The trouble with the E-TTL cord is that you end up needing a third hand to hold the flash.

Do you?

that kind of reminds me of briansquibb.... :P

I have a real man's beard not a 5 oclock shadow ........

I use a Custom Bracket, with mini/flex, no cords

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »

pbarr86

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »
I don't really know anything about bracket or flash photography for that matter. I'm just getting started and my new flash is expect to arrive friday!  :D

I came across these brackets by ProMediaGear.

ProMediaGear Boomerang Flash Bracket for DSLR cameras Made In USA

They look kind of trick and seem simple to operate. In all honesty my knowledge is zero though. Lol

I own and love the Boomerang flash bracket from ProMediaGear, I have been using their universal plate but just ordered the custom plate to fit on my 5D MIII battery grip

markphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »
The Wedding Pro Flash Bracket looks promising from Really Right Stuff.

Anyone have this and can provide some feedback?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=WPF-QR&type=4&eq=&desc=WPF-QR%3a-Flash-Bracket-with-fixed-mount
5d3 | 24 - 70L II | 24 -105L | 8-15L | 14L | 100L | 70-200L II | MP-E 65 | 40 Pancake

RayValdez360

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
I have a Custom Brackets Pro M. It was like $379. i have used it for almost a year straight at clubs. It is still sturdy and works fine. I did have to use super glue to seal my Off flash cord because the weight and pressure on the flash will   rip the shoe apart over time.  My first cord broke in 2 or 3 months and my glued card has been great for over 6 months.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 11:00:05 PM »
The trouble with the E-TTL cord is that you end up needing a third hand to hold the flash.

Do you?

That looks like a 5D3 with a st-e3-rt and two 600rt flash units.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

AdamJ

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 08:39:29 AM »
This might work.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
I finally bought this bracket. It's small and compact but does the job.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=464814&is=REG

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »

Do you?

That looks like a 5D3 with a st-e3-rt and two 600rt flash units.

Or you could be like this guy.

5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

paul13walnut5

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 06:43:26 AM »
How can anybody laugh at a man with the guts to wear (only!) gold y fronts?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »
How can anybody laugh at a man with the guts to wear (only!) gold y fronts?

Who said I'm laughing? It's Burning Man, that's just considered average. However, hauling around that whole getup? And have you seen some of the photos he has produced with that? Wow!
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 08:17:52 AM »
The Wedding Pro Flash Bracket looks promising from Really Right Stuff.

Anyone have this and can provide some feedback?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=WPF-QR&type=4&eq=&desc=WPF-QR%3a-Flash-Bracket-with-fixed-mount

This is the bracket I use. It is very versatile and gets the flash higher in relationship to the lens. I will always try to bounce first. If I can't then I pullout the bracket and shoot direct. I also will also crank up the ISO.  A very solid product.

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 08:19:36 AM »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=464814&is=REG

Can I ask why you chose this style? Why lower the flash to the lens rather than raise it?   

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »

Can I ask why you chose this style? Why lower the flash to the lens rather than raise it?   

The CB Mini brackets are intended primarily for shooting in portrait orientation, IMO, so the flash is above the lens axis. If one will be switching back and forth from landscape to portrait orientation, an adjustable blacket is a much better choice, IMO.  I use one of the RRS ring brackets, personally.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »

Dave_NYC

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »
This is good stuff. I Might look into one, What bracket is lightweight and can easily switch orientation? I usually carry two cameras on me at all times at a wedding so a lightweight bracket would be appreciated.

Zooming will be a non-issue but I will need a bracket that allows easy lens changes.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-233B-Camera-Bracket--Black/dp/B00009R6AV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357827415&sr=8-1&keywords=manfrotto+flash+bracket. It is height adjustable, and the arm can swivel away from the camera so you can actually change your setup (using both hands - one to hold the arm and change angle/rotation, the other to turn the locking knobs). If you put a quick release plate on the bottom of it, you can also drop the whole thing into a tripod.

I like it for the adjustability and it's decent build quality.

Only thing with it - if you're say in horizontal orientation... the more you lean the arm away from the body, the harder it becomes to hold (on the same sort of principle that it's easier to hold something close in to your body than to hold it out in front of you with your arms stretched out - well, that and it's over-using supporting muscles in a lopsided way).

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »

Because I don't want to carry a giant hulking contraption for vertical direct flash. Small, light and fast are key to my shooting style and a huge flash bracket just won't work for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »