April 19, 2014, 11:41:09 AM

Author Topic: The Flash Bracket? Do they really matter anymore?  (Read 18267 times)

digital paradise

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
Re: The Flash Bracket? Do they really matter anymore?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »
I finally bought this bracket. It's small and compact but does the job.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=464814&is=REG

Can I ask why you chose this style? Why lower the flash to the lens rather than raise it?   

The CB Mini brackets are intended primarily for shooting in portrait orientation, IMO, so the flash is above the lens axis. If one will be switching back and forth from landscape to portrait orientation, an adjustable blacket is a much better choice, IMO.  I use one of the RRS ring brackets, personally.

Oh I see. Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »

digital paradise

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
I was talking to a fellow photographer who works weddings all the time. We were discussing on-camera flash and he spoke of always using a flash bracket for on camera.

I've seen them before, those large hulking contraptions that some photogs carry around on a wedding. Is it really necessary though anymore? I think one of those would slow me down but if the benefits are really worth the hassle i'd might look into it.

Supposedly, it will remove the horrid side-shadow when shot in portrait orientation but why not just use a TTL cable and hold the flash in proper orientation rather than carry a bulky and heavy bracket? Or just bounce?

Dunno, It was interesting enough to want some opinions on brackets.

Even though I still use one if there is no where to bounce my flash guru has stopped using them. Todays high ISO capable cameras allow the photographer to bring in much more ambient light therefore less flash is required which greatly reduces the side shadow issue. Of course keeping people away from walls is also a huge factor.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/flash-brackets/

I read an article where someone just stopped shooting portrait style at events. Again high ISO capable cameras allow for better cropping so this person just made portrait shots out of landscape orientation.

markphoto

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »
The Wedding Pro Flash Bracket looks promising from Really Right Stuff.

Anyone have this and can provide some feedback?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=WPF-QR&type=4&eq=&desc=WPF-QR%3a-Flash-Bracket-with-fixed-mount

This is the bracket I use. It is very versatile and gets the flash higher in relationship to the lens. I will always try to bounce first. If I can't then I pullout the bracket and shoot direct. I also will also crank up the ISO.  A very solid product.

Thanks for the reply.  I just ordered it and look forward to trying it out.
5d3 | 300L II | 24 - 70L II | 24 -105L | 8-15L | 14L | 100L | 70-200L II | MP-E 65 | 40 Pancake

digital paradise

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »
Let us know what you think when you get it.

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
I have one of the StroboFrame units... been around a while, now the brand is owned by Tiffen. Camera flips under the strobe. I think I will run into clearance trouble putting more stuff in the shoe. Using camera without battery pack helps.

There's a newer more high-tech rotating bracket I have seen... been looking around. I don't like having to step back in a hurry to get room for a vertical in my current lens choice. At some point I'd trample a little old lady and get in trouble. So for now I will take a rotating bracket to events.

jonathan7007

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=stroboframe&itemnum=310-900

Old Shooter

• EOS M2
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 02:25:00 AM »
I remember the metz hammerheads well, they date from a time when AA's couldn't hold as much of a charge and things like nicads were the best we could hope for.   

I liked the stability of them, there wasn't IS in those days either...

I generally OC cable or wireless flash these days, but I still have a flash grip which occassionally gets a run out for video.

Canon did do an A-TTL hammerhead which I believe can be used manually with E-TTL cameras, but the speedlite form is just what folks prefer these days.

I have always loved Metz - great quality - and their brackets are very well engineered! I still use their 45 CL-4 with my XSi - and for fill it is gorgeous... I would love to use it with my 5DIII - but Metz hasn't engineered their module to work with the 1DX or the MkIII yet... Come one, Metz, I'm waiting!  :(
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 03:22:20 AM »
but why not just use a TTL cable and hold the flash in proper orientation rather than carry a bulky and heavy bracket? Or just bounce?

+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 03:22:20 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »
but why not just use a TTL cable and hold the flash in proper orientation rather than carry a bulky and heavy bracket?

Well, I have only two hands. Maybe you have more, in which case that sounds like a good idea.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

digital paradise

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2013, 12:12:20 PM »
Yeah. I tried that. I can't can't properly support my 5D3 & 24-70II unless I eat some spinach. Popeye to the younger members which you may never heard of anyway ;D.

DBCdp

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2013, 12:35:59 PM »
I also use the ring flash from Really Right Stuff, have for years and love em. Very quick to adjust between portrait and landscape and not rediculously heavy. Very well made and strong enough to carry the camera by.

I have 2 of em, 4 years old or so and they pretty much look and work like the day I first got em. Great product.

They're also capable of carry double flash assemblies for macro work. ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »
They're also capable of carry double flash assemblies for macro work. ;)

True...although for macro flash, I actually prefer the extra flexibility of the Wimberley F-2.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
About 6 years I bought a flash bracket ... back then I had gone crazy buying a lot of accessories, thinking they will improve my photography (with very little knowledge about DSLR photography & lighting technique) ... I used that bracket only once in the last 6 years and I gave up ... not because of its capabilities but my unwillingness to carry that heavy metal ... so it has been sitting in my cupboard collecting dust and every time I open the cupboard it stares at me ... I think it thinks I am an idiot  :-[ ... but after having read all of your posts here my desire to use the flash bracket has grown ... I am the unofficial official photographer from our company for the Offshore Middle East Conference from Monday - Wednesday, so I will use the flash bracket at least for a day.
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:40 PM »
About 6 years I bought a flash bracket ... back then I had gone crazy buying a lot of accessories, thinking they will improve my photography (with very little knowledge about DSLR photography & lighting technique) ... I used that bracket only once in the last 6 years and I gave up ... not because of its capabilities but my unwillingness to carry that heavy metal ... so it has been sitting in my cupboard collecting dust and every time I open the cupboard it stares at me ... I think it thinks I am an idiot  :-[ ... but after having read all of your posts here my desire to use the flash bracket has grown ... I am the unofficial official photographer from our company for the Offshore Middle East Conference from Monday - Wednesday, so I will use the flash bracket at least for a day.
OK, so I've pulled out the dusty flash bracket, cleaned it up and took it to the conference/exhibition ... but did not use it "for a day" ... used it for less than 30 minutes ... felt kind of stupid, coz even professional photogrpahers were giving me the "dude, are you serious" look as if I'm from another planet ... so I went back to using my Rogue Flash bender with the 600-EX-RT mounted on the camera :-[ ... and the professional photographers gave me the look of "that's better you crazy punk" ;D
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:40 PM »

digital paradise

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »
First off I don't really care what other pros are doing. I have see pros use a Gary Fong Lightspehere outdoors in the daytime. I guess the are trying to light the surrounding areas and planes flying overhear too.

The bracket gives me one advantage. I can use the auto zoom. Very handy when shooting events when people are moving like fashion shows. I spend far less time playing with the FEC. 

I'm not a big supporter of on camera flash diffusers however bounce card ones like the rogue and demb flip it are good products if you want to use them. Too many out there claiming to have overcome the simple physics of light. I have seen the term super diffuser ;D. Light travels in strait lines. Soft vs hard light is dependent on size and distance of the light source to the subject. There is no other secret or magic bullet out there.

I roll with this. I spent a lot of money and wasted time trying to find the latest and greatest diffuser. The best thing I ever did was take a lighting course.   

http://russellspixelpix.blogspot.ca/2008/11/flash-diffusers-no-need-to-spend-big.html

A question. If those pros were standing beside me at this show with their rogues and I had my bracket would they have produced far more superior images than than me?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:10:06 AM by digital paradise »

digital paradise

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »
Just to summarize it is an each to his won world. Whatever works for you for you or others.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »