November 28, 2014, 03:41:23 PM

Author Topic: The Flash Bracket? Do they really matter anymore?  (Read 22485 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: The Flash Bracket? Do they really matter anymore?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 11:30:08 AM »
Fyi: I recently bought the Demb flash bracket and can recomend it, esp. for the price - it's small and sturdy at the same time, it's nice for changing from landscape to portrait and I can even move the flash a bit forward for better macro flash with the 100L. Sure other brackets are more sturdy, but much more bulky and esp. much more expensive.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/bracket/instructions/

A quick alternative to the bracket is the Demb flip it, if mounted sideways it can also be turned from landscape to portrait, but since it's a bounce card flash the auto-zoom of the flash is not working.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/instructions/

And no: I didn't get a free flip it to write this :-p, in fact I took the pain to order this stuff from the US of A because there's no German or European distributor (yet).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 11:30:08 AM »

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
Actually even though I said I would never purchase a on flash diffuser again I did pick up the Demb big flip it about a month ago. Only reason is weight. 11.4 ounces is not much but as the day gets longer you start to feel it and I'm not getting any younger. I have not tried it live yet and for shorter time periods I will still use my bracket depending on the situation. Still more efficient use of light.

bratkinson

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 04:35:47 AM »
As a NOOB to flash photography, I first tried an ALZO flash bracket with my gripped 60D and 580 EX II.  First (and only time) I used it, I thought it was a bit 'clutzy' to switch from landscape to portrait, but it worked satisfactorily.  It was also heavier than I liked, and mounting it with the 'post' to my right when shooting, it required the optional shutter release button.  My problem was when I wanted to shoot without the bracket.  Difficult to remove mounting clamp from camera as well as to re-install it and mount to the bracket for additional shooting.

So, I found an older, used RRS 'wedding bracket' on ebay.  The ALZO hasn't been touched since.  The RRS is one-button, 1 second, to switch from landscape to portrait or back.  And although I haven't found a use for it, it can also raise the flash perhaps 8" higher than the 'normal' above the lens position. 

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 06:52:17 AM »
If you notice the benefit of the flash bracket YES employ it.
it IS a burden but it does position the flash over the camera in vertical position.
whats great about using a flash bracket is you dont always have to use it in its "CORRECT"
position...
in opposed position to its intended camera orientation it will give you side light and half way deployed it will give you a higher position (on some tilting brackets) that will give you a diff angle on light.

some suggested the off camera cable and yes thats great and fun use of flash... very flexible and creative. add screw in strap to bottom of TTL cable on flash end... secures you from dropping flash during drunken dance floor shots... ooops..

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
in opposed position to its intended camera orientation it will give you side light and half way deployed it will give you a higher position (on some tilting brackets) that will give you a diff angle on light.

+1 - I just did a test series with the sto-fen & demb diffusers with and without bracket and have to say using the bracket at 45 degree angle or even forward for macro is the best feature. For simply using the flash in portrait position the demb flip-it is sufficient most of the time since it's mounted sideways on the flash.

markphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 03:48:20 PM »
Let us know what you think when you get it.

The Wedding Pro Flash Bracket worked out great.  Glad I purchased it.  One very nice feature is that it folds up flat and is easily stored in your camera bag.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=WPF-QR&type=4&eq=&desc=WPF-QR%3a-Flash-Bracket-with-fixed-mount
5d3 | 24 - 70L II | 24 -105L | 8-15L | 14L | 100L | 70-200L II | MP-E 65 | 40 Pancake

RayValdez360

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 07:35:14 AM »
I got some 380 custom brackets thing. I think it is the best bracket ever for anything.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 07:35:14 AM »