September 30, 2014, 07:54:07 AM

Author Topic: New Full Frame Camera in Testing [CR1]  (Read 14874 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: New Full Frame Camera in Testing [CR1]
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
keep going guys im nearly there...

http://bullshitbingo.net/cards/bullshit/

:D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »

lola

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2012, 01:49:04 AM »
"Our Flagship model 1DX".

If its Canons "Flagship", then why is Canon adding more megapixels?

Shouldn't a "Flagship" cover all aspects if possible??

I thought the 1 series covered all aspects of photography as much as possible with the technology at hand?

They havent even delivered on their 1DX promise and already, there seems to be something better for landscape photographers?  >:(

I totally agree with you, the whole line-up messed up...
20D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 1DX, D800 EF 17-40mm. f/4.0 L USM, EF 70-200mm. f/2.8 L USM, EF 24-105mm. f/4 L IS USM, EF 100mm. f/2.8 L IS USM Macro, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm. f/2.8 G ED VR II, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

briansquibb

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2012, 01:53:49 AM »

I thought the 1 series covered all aspects of photography as much as possible with the technology at hand?

They havent even delivered on their 1DX promise and already, there seems to be something better for landscape photographers?  >:(

The D3S/D4/1D4 were flagships too - but there were higher mp bodies as well. Perhaps history is repeating itself?

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2012, 02:58:01 AM »

lola

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2012, 03:09:33 AM »
20D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 1DX, D800 EF 17-40mm. f/4.0 L USM, EF 70-200mm. f/2.8 L USM, EF 24-105mm. f/4 L IS USM, EF 100mm. f/2.8 L IS USM Macro, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm. f/2.8 G ED VR II, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

briansquibb

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2012, 04:17:48 AM »
I liked that Digital Rev video where they burnt a body out of the box. After submitting it to a high burn rate the milestone was to see if they could still reuse it. This brain storm was in the name of system integration rather than get the recscue services called to action

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2012, 05:11:31 AM »
if they were smart they would make the same guts available in the 1Dx shell and the 5D3 shell
shouldnt cost any more in reality and would make it appeal to a broader spectrum of users

Unless the DR is alot better that would mean two cameras with pretty similar specs though, much bigger difference between 18 and 30 MP.

To me the best option looks like it might be to release a sensor like this on a lower end body. Right now Canons problem to me seems to be that the D600 is going to sail quite close to the 5D3 in terms of specs so if they put out a similar model at a similar price they risk hurting 5D3 sales.

If Canon go with 30 MP on a body with specs somewhere between the 5D3 and the 5D2 then that would leave them more room to compete with Nikon without offering specs in other areas that are very close to the 5D3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2012, 05:11:31 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »
To me the best option looks like it might be to release a sensor like this on a lower end body.

Best option for Canon or for mid-range Canon users? If Canon gets away with releasing the 30mp+ sensor in a premium body first, maybe even making people buy a 1dx/5d3 and a 3d at the same time that sounds like good business. With the money they're making from this and selling premium lenses, they can delay trickling down this new tech for a couple of years...

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2012, 06:10:34 AM »
I think that Canon can easily make a high mega pixel 1D series camera. The name of a 1D5 would work fine. I don't think that Canon can charge any more for it over a 1D-X....they both have a full frame sensor and essentially, they are the same camera. Both have the same size piece of silicon wafer and the only difference is the etching and design. The biggest difference is just that the Data through put cake is cut differently. High MP vs high frame rate. We know the dual Digic 5 is good for 225mb/s, so if we know the fps...then we can work out the remaining sensor density. My guess is 6fps / 36mp.
I think Canon made a slight naming error with the 5DIII, it would have been better to have named it the 5D-X. Then the 1D-X and 5D-X would have been fps centric cameras, leaving the 5DIII and 1D-5 names free for high pixel density centric cameras. All full frame, naturally.

magnum

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Wetzig Photographics on Flickr
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2012, 07:04:04 AM »
Canon EOS 7D, 600D (T3i) both with EF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS. Canon EF-S 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 USM

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2012, 08:10:46 AM »
2D, 3D, 4D what? I think Canon should finish and ship the 1DX before it even thinks of "releasing" a new camera.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Neeneko

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »

Generally no, 'flagship' shouldn't cover all aspects.  If you are only going to have one flagship product you make it excel at what your company is known for, even if other features suffer since their marquee value is lower.

If your company is more general purpose then you do what Canon does, have multiple 'flagship' offerings, each optimized for one feature set.  Thus both the 1Ds and 1D lines are considered 'flagship' since each is designed to be the best Canon can produce at the specific role it preforms.   Trying to make a single offering that is 'best' across the spectrum generally results in a device that doesn't do nearly as well in any specific domain. Design, while not strictly zero-sum, is always involves compromises.

Also, if you think back to the historical usage of 'flagship'.. flagships were rarely jack of all trade vessels (technically the designation went to whichever ship had a particular person on it, but commanders tended to use specific types of ships if they had the option).. usually they were the biggest baddest ships out in the field, but navel warfare has always had a bit of a rock-paper-scissors element to it.  If you went out in nothing but ships of the line, chances are you were going to be coming back with far fewer ships (if any).  This is esp true in modern fleets.  An aircraft carrier (a common flagship type today) is a sitting duck if not protected by multiple tiers of screen.

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 11:31:27 AM »
Assuming this rumor is true, I'd think Canon would still wait a couple of years before releasing it.  Everyone that would buy a camera like this just bought a D800/e or Canon 5D III; and if you're a professional you purchased two or three of them.  It will be at least three years before I consider purchasing another camera.

Everyone?? I see a lot of 5D II owners like myself that are not pushed to go to a 5DIII at all. And put off by the pain of starting a Nikon lenses collection. 5K for a camera along these lines would cost the same as a D800 and a 14-24mm lens and I'd be back to using my Canon 14mm L, 17mm TSE L, 24mm TSE L, and 24mm 1.4 L for architecture and landscape. Sign me up!

There are a few possible approaches to take.

1) Recognise that actually owning camera equipment is not very worthwhile unless it is making you money and/or you're using it regularly and then when you need it, rent/hire whatever happens to be the latest/best.

1a) Start up a Nikon lens collection, whilst keeping your Canon lens collection and just rent whatever body happens to be the latest/best/to your liking.

2) Build up an array of Nikon lenses, along with a D800 whilst keeping the Canon gear. Treat the bodies as something that can be sold/traded/whatever. Then you simply sell your older body and buy the new one whenever one manufacturer makes a big leap over the other.

----- I have actually built up a few Nikons for: a) to adapt and use on my 5d2
and/or b) To begin a collection in case Canon refuses to release high IQ ultra-wide lenses. Also, the average DR does disappoint on Canon's side; why are they so lagging behind Nikon's 5 year old D3 sensor? I don't understand.

Oh well, at least the f 4.0 affordable zoom market is dominated by Canon.....for now. I used to be able to say the same about normal range (24,35,50,85) prime lenses---but again, Nikon has jumped ahead for the moment.
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 11:31:27 AM »

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »
Assuming this rumor is true, I'd think Canon would still wait a couple of years before releasing it.  Everyone that would buy a camera like this just bought a D800/e or Canon 5D III; and if you're a professional you purchased two or three of them.  It will be at least three years before I consider purchasing another camera.

Everyone?? I see a lot of 5D II owners like myself that are not pushed to go to a 5DIII at all. And put off by the pain of starting a Nikon lenses collection. 5K for a camera along these lines would cost the same as a D800 and a 14-24mm lens and I'd be back to using my Canon 14mm L, 17mm TSE L, 24mm TSE L, and 24mm 1.4 L for architecture and landscape. Sign me up!

There are a few possible approaches to take.

1) Recognise that actually owning camera equipment is not very worthwhile unless it is making you money and/or you're using it regularly and then when you need it, rent/hire whatever happens to be the latest/best.

1a) Start up a Nikon lens collection, whilst keeping your Canon lens collection and just rent whatever body happens to be the latest/best/to your liking.

2) Build up an array of Nikon lenses, along with a D800 whilst keeping the Canon gear. Treat the bodies as something that can be sold/traded/whatever. Then you simply sell your older body and buy the new one whenever one manufacturer makes a big leap over the other.

----- I have actually built up a few Nikons for: a) to adapt and use on my 5d2
and/or b) To begin a collection in case Canon refuses to release high IQ ultra-wide lenses. Also, the average DR does disappoint on Canon's side; why are they so lagging behind Nikon's 5 year old D3 sensor? I don't understand.

Oh well, at least the f 4.0 affordable zoom market is dominated by Canon.....for now. I used to be able to say the same about normal range (24,35,50,85) prime lenses---but again, Nikon has jumped ahead for the moment.
I have just stopped buying new Canon gears and see what Canon is going to do.  Three of my colleagues who own 5D2 have decided not upgrading to 5D3.  We just don't feel it worth to upgrade our cameras to 5D3 at this moment.  Will we switch to Nikon?  It's still too early to say.  However, I now; thanks Canon; knows some Nikon gears.  It's really nice to know something from Canon's competitors.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

Mr. Clicker

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »
Here's how I use my Canons:

5D3 - high ISO event coverage, office shots using Speedlights, mixed lighting, studio portraits, fashion work, product etc

1dsMK2 - Long in the tooth, but such a robust camera - inclement weather out-door shooting, wet and or dirty locations (factories, wood shops etc) or anywhere else where the camera's weather sealing comes into play. It can really take the abuse.

And here's where the 3D would come in really handy - studio product, architectural, and in particular, studio dance or other action photography, allowing to shoot wide to accommodate for subject movement, cropping in and preserving the resolution. Assuming the Canon lenses can handle it..

So as a pro shooter, I could really benefit from a much higher resolution camera and welcome its arrival. The right tool for the job.

cheers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »