September 02, 2014, 10:43:52 PM

Author Topic: Exposure consistancy across multiple bodies.  (Read 748 times)

Neeneko

Exposure consistancy across multiple bodies.
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
Ok, a little background.

I currently have two camera bodies and will soon have a third.  All three are Canon (300D,350D,550D, so crop bodies) but two of them have had hardware modifications done to them.

I have been playing with the idea of doing some comparison shots to show how the mods effect how much light the sensor gets, but then I realized I was not sure if exposure was consistent across different models.

So that is my basic question to everyone.  If I plug the same manual settings in the with identical lens/lighting into multiple models of crop bodies, if they were stock bodies, could I expect identically exposed results?  Or does the behavior of the sensor render the manual settings meaningless on any body other then the one you are metering them for?

canon rumors FORUM

Exposure consistancy across multiple bodies.
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Exposure consistancy across multiple bodies.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »
Good question and I doubt I have an answer I just took some photos outside with 7d and 40d with same lens on the same tripod with same settings and the 7ds came out a tad brighter. Hard to say if it was slight difference in ambient light from the sun or the camera but I cant imagine it would be too different but  Id say try it and see.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

Neeneko

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:13:31 AM »
Good question and I doubt I have an answer I just took some photos outside with 7d and 40d with same lens on the same tripod with same settings and the 7ds came out a tad brighter. Hard to say if it was slight difference in ambient light from the sun or the camera but I cant imagine it would be too different but  Id say try it and see.

That is a good sign.  I expect some small differences, but if it isn't on the order of 1 stop or greater (which is what I am expecting to see) then it shouldn't effect the comparison much.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
You will see some difference, but it should be less than 1/3 stop.  Canon can adjust and match your bodies if its critical.

Neeneko

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »
You will see some difference, but it should be less than 1/3 stop.  Canon can adjust and match your bodies if its critical.

Excellent, that is a range that should be fine.
Interesting that Canon can adjust to match them, though for this case I doubt it would be worth it.. esp since, as I said, they are modified bodies, so I suspect Canon would not touch them anyway ^_^

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »