September 30, 2014, 08:03:49 AM

Poll

I'm not buying a 5D Mark III because...

Too expensive
Sensor is the same as the 5D Mark II .. WTF? (Banding, noise, DR ...)
It's not really a 5D Mark III, it is a 5D Mark IIn
All of the above
I already bought one (or more) and I'm using it, what's your problem?
Upgrading from APS-C is more expensive than just a body upgrade
I don't own any Canon equipment yet so...
Still doesn't have a assignable/dedicated MLU button
Too big and heavy, the way forward is smaller and more compact... (EVIL/MILC)
I've ordered it, just waiting, any day now...
I'm simply not interested in the 5D Mark III or full frame cameras, give me crop!
I bought one and sent it back already, don't want another.!
I'm getting a 1DX instead.
Then I'll need newer, non-Canon, raw software that I can't run
When XXXX come out with a full frame camera for < $2000, bye bye Canon..!
Nikon's D800 has made a convert of me
I don't suffer from upgraditis

Author Topic: The other 5D Mark III polls sucked... here's a better one...  (Read 10828 times)

crasher8

Re: The other 5D Mark III polls sucked... here's a better one...
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »
Oh let's not water down the results with off topic votes, since Canon is waiting with baited breath for the Ultimate CR why I didn't buy a 5D3 poll.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »
The confusion is the statement, "I'm not buying a 5D Mark III because...," followed by an answer of, "I already bought one (or more) and I'm using it, what's your problem?"

Well that was there so that all of the folks that have one could tick a box rather than post :)

But in all seriousness, that line adds a lot of value to the poll, don't you think?

Too many options on the poll.

Why is that a problem for you?

Because it waters down the effect that is trying to be created here. Now there are lots of "scattered" votes thus detracting from seeing results more clearly.

I beg to differ. When the options are "too expensive" or "some other reason", then there's not really enough information to understand what people are thinking.

Perhaps the most important question that will forever be unanswered is what proportion of 5D3 owners responded vs that of non-owners?

Our decision making processes are complicated and this poll tries to shed some light on what people are thinking when deciding that the 5D3 isn't a camera for them.

crasher8

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
Nah, this poll sucked that's the only thing gathered here.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »
Hmpf!

Cgdillan

• Canon 70D
  • HDSLR Cinematographer/Photograper
    • View Profile
    • Stockham Media
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
Nah, this poll sucked that's the only thing gathered here.
+1
2x 5D mkiii, 7D, 60D, T2i, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Bower 14mm f/2.8, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, 24mm L f/1.4 ii, Sigma 35mm ART f/1.4, 24-105mm L f/4.0 IS, 50mm f/1.8 ii, 85mm L f/1.2 ii, 100mm L Macro f/2.8 IS, 135mm L f2.0 75-300mm f/4-5.6, 70-200mm L f/2.8, Sigma 70-200mm OS f/2.8. StockhamMedia.com

crasher8

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »
The title was the lame thing…putting your glorious poll on a pedestal what a crock of crap.

markd61

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 01:49:17 AM »
OK, I did not have the patience to read the responses to this decidedly inflammatory post but that wont stop me from leaping in with my .02 :o

I too, thought that the price was high for what seemed a subtle makeover of the mk2. However, I found myself in the position of getting a large number of jobs that required snappy low light AF and preferably a silent camera. The mk3 became increasingly interesting to me because the AF is such a large improvement over the mk2.

I am a full time pro so it was just business. I ordered one and it came in a few days ago. After using it  bit I realized it is dramatically different and better than my mk2s.
The AF is snappy, the locking mode dial is perfect, the customization options are huge and the general build, fit and handling are significantly better.
I then read a review by Ellis Vener who noted that it should really be thought of as replacement for the 1DsMk3. I agree completely.
It is as if Canon listened to all the whiners who said " I love the mk2 but I want weather sealing, dual card slots, better AF, more customization, built-in HDR, better video, and I want it for half the price."
Voila, the mk3. I am delighted that it reminds me of my 1Dmk2 in responsiveness yet weighs a lot less. Frame rates are not a huge deal to me but this camera still can do sports if you have the skills of the old time pros that actually anticipated the action.

At bottom the haters miss the point. Canon gave them the 1DSmk4 without the weight and at half the price.

Rejoice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 01:49:17 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 02:09:14 AM »
At bottom the haters miss the point. Canon gave them the 1DSmk4 without the weight and at half the price.

As the 1DS3 is used mostly in portrait in studio then the gripped 5D3 is actually heavier

The 1DS3 still has less noise in the 50-200 iso range than the 5D3

The 5D3 has the latest advances in technology and  I have little doubt that is a great update to the 5D2- but the focus still has to be - does it produce a better image than the 1DS3?

Used 1DS3s are cheaper now than a new 5D3 so the decision is harder. The real test will come IMO in comparing the 1DX with the 1DS3 - the 'official' replacement. Will the low iso noise be improved, will the low iso DR be increased, will the 18mps 1DX stand up against the 21mps of the 1DS3

An even more interesting comparison for the people who demand the lastest technology will be comparing the 1DX to the 5D3

The 5D3 and the 1DS3 cover different market segments and both are fine cameras but the 5D3 as a replacement 1DS3? Close but no cigar

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
IMHO, I feel polls get off track and too many are used for flaming.  Polls need to be a little more constructive.  Just my 2 cents.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

markd61

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »

As the 1DS3 is used mostly in portrait in studio then the gripped 5D3 is actually heavier

The 5D3 and the 1DS3 cover different market segments and both are fine cameras but the 5D3 as a replacement 1DS3? Close but no cigar

I wonder why a battery grip is needed in the studio? I got rid of my 1D precisely because the weight of the body was a drag when in the field. A spare battery is far lighter and with two batteries you will run out of cards before  you run out of power.
As to the image quality, I would warrant that it is better though the differences these days are scant.

Two different markets? Absolutely.
1Ds and 5Dmk3- studio and landscape and (for the mk3) quality video and excellent AF.

1Dx- high speed, high quality images with a very slight cost in file size, excellent AF.

As we have all been whining about file quality being more important than maximum file size I think we can agree that 18MP is enough.

As far as I can see, I am giving up $3500 in cost to get a camera that actually exceeds the 1Dsmk3 at everything except the weight and the ability to pound nails into concrete.

briansquibb

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
I wonder why a battery grip is needed in the studio?

To get the controls  for shooting in portrait mode (such as AF point etc)

The 1DS3 does well over 1k on a battery (though weight can be saved with the mains adapter)

Tammy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2012, 05:54:38 PM »
OK, I did not have the patience to read the responses to this decidedly inflammatory post but that wont stop me from leaping in with my .02 :o

I too, thought that the price was high for what seemed a subtle makeover of the mk2. However, I found myself in the position of getting a large number of jobs that required snappy low light AF and preferably a silent camera. The mk3 became increasingly interesting to me because the AF is such a large improvement over the mk2.

I am a full time pro so it was just business. I ordered one and it came in a few days ago. After using it  bit I realized it is dramatically different and better than my mk2s.
The AF is snappy, the locking mode dial is perfect, the customization options are huge and the general build, fit and handling are significantly better.
I then read a review by Ellis Vener who noted that it should really be thought of as replacement for the 1DsMk3. I agree completely.
It is as if Canon listened to all the whiners who said " I love the mk2 but I want weather sealing, dual card slots, better AF, more customization, built-in HDR, better video, and I want it for half the price."
Voila, the mk3. I am delighted that it reminds me of my 1Dmk2 in responsiveness yet weighs a lot less. Frame rates are not a huge deal to me but this camera still can do sports if you have the skills of the old time pros that actually anticipated the action.

Rejoice.

This is exactly what I like to see. Once you've gotten your hands on one and used this camera it is truly a joy. It is so much more than 1 more MP or a bit better high ISO. I have thought of it comparably as a mini full frame 1D IV or a mini 1Ds III replacement as well.
5D Mk III - 24-70L Mk II - 24L Mk II - 100L - 135L - 50mm F/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2012, 05:54:38 PM »