July 30, 2014, 06:57:53 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Full Specifications  (Read 33646 times)

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Full Specifications
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »
it really looks like the same 3 years old sensor from the 7d..

basically what does the digic5 do which digic4 could not?

from wiki

"DIGIC 5 is now featured on Canon compact cameras like PowerShot SX40 HS to achieve a capture rate of 10.3 frames per second at full resolution in High-Speed Burst HQ, Full HD 1080p Videos and Intelligent Image Stabilization. The new DIGIC 5 processor is 6 times faster and creates 75 percent less noise than the DIGIC 4 processor.[7]Designed to achieve new and advanced levels of image quality, DIGIC 5 analyses four times more image information to create each pixel, recording more detail and colour from a scene than ever before. Processing speed is also six times faster compared to the previous processor, efficiently managing the increase in scene information and simultaneously reducing the appearance of image noise by up to 75%.

DIGIC 5 Is used in the Canon EOS 650D/Rebel T4i/Kiss X6 (announced June 8, 2012 and available later that month)
."

If I read that correctly it is saying that it used the Digic 5 for NR?

If true then surely that NR could be achieved in pp??

yea I'd say the weight of evidence points to Digic5 being used for in-camera jpg

Its hard to parse through the marketing language to divine the technical capabilities of the sensor itself. 
On the optimistic side, the sensor is "new" in the sense that the MP count is different (lower) and brings phase detection AF capability not present in the 7D sensor. 

On the other hand, the "new" sensor could be heavily leveraged, "essentially" the same as the 7D sensor in terms of inherent noise, or even the same exact sensor technology only modified for phase detection capability.  until we get some real-world test analysis of the RAW files, we won't know for sure, but it appears (to me anyway) that the weight of evidence favors this (latter) explanation.  I note that if Canon had made some incremental improvement in sensor noise performance, for example, the marketing language would have been different. 

It would be quite a stretch, imho, for Canon to have developed a low-noise sensor technology here and just not expose it or tell us about it, to avoid stealing thunder from the 7D2, for example.  More likely, imho, Canon is advancing their phase detection AF capability here in the APS-C world, not noise/ISO/IQ capability. perhaps we will see a higher IQ APS-C sensor with phase detection combined in the 7D2. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »
It's not a new idea, that the most expensive DSLRs have the best image quality...

A lot of rebel users wanting 1D sensor performance...

briansquibb

« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »
It's not a new idea, that the most expensive DSLRs have the best image quality...

A lot of rebel users wanting 1D sensor performance...

... 1D mk1 it is then ....  ;D ;D ;D

paul13walnut5

« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »

My sides.  I was talking in terms of series, as well you know.

So a 1DX or a 650D, they've both got 18MP?....

briansquibb

« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »

My sides.  I was talking in terms of series, as well you know.

So a 1DX or a 650D, they've both got 18MP?....

8) 8) 8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »