July 19, 2018, 05:38:06 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Information.  (Read 68537 times)

Ellen Schmidtee

• EOS 6D Mark II
Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Information.
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2012, 12:48:37 AM »
Some of you people really need to look at this lens as a whole and stop focusing on the fact that it's "only f/2.8." Sure, the 50 1.8 II is a whole 1 1/3 stop faster. Awesome. But how practical is it really to be shooting with such a shallow DoF all the time?

Wide aperture isn't all about shallow DoF, it's also about low light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2012, 12:48:37 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2012, 01:28:36 AM »
Some of you people really need to look at this lens as a whole and stop focusing on the fact that it's "only f/2.8." Sure, the 50 1.8 II is a whole 1 1/3 stop faster. Awesome. But how practical is it really to be shooting with such a shallow DoF all the time?

I understood the comment to mean

'shooting in low light, wide open means that you have the downside of a shallow DOF'

kdsand

• EOS 80D
  • Newt II a human stampede
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »
Supply & demand :'(
Supply & demand :'(

Your going to be charged as much as your market will bear yes at times a ridiculously high amount.

Me thinks some people would be utterly shocked and perhaps some would even pass out ieeyaa (thunk) opon learning how much the materials in lenses even L cost. :o
The Cost of a metal mount - shezz we may not be talking nickels - perhaps a quarter but no more than that.

I'm thinking this lens is possibly a good value at this price for me here and now.  ;D

What I'm wondering about is why the 24 and 28 don't seem to have STM?
                or will they there's no actual production units yet..........  ???
7DII, 60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and etcetera etcetera

briansquibb

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »

Interest comment - might also explain the f/2.8 as well.

Ellen Schmidtee

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2012, 04:55:12 AM »

'shooting in low light, wide open means that you have the downside of a shallow DOF'

Well, shallow DOF isn't necessarily a downside, and if one stands sufficiently far, hyperfocal distance can give a very big depth of field.

I was in a band show the day before yesterday, and there was a raised platform at the back of the hall about 3-4m high. Standing there with a 24mm f/1.4 L at f/2 (hyperfocal distance 9.62m), I could get a wide shot of the band & audience dancing all in focus. Maybe I could even get the shot standing on one of the chairs next to the bar at the back.

Not making money from my photography equipment, and not being rich enough to buy all L, I buy primes elsewhere. So far I bought 4 primes by Sigma & Samyang, the one relevant to this discussion being the 35mm f/1.4. If the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 was as good, it would be my next lens.

kdsand

• EOS 80D
  • Newt II a human stampede
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2012, 05:19:16 AM »

Well, shallow DOF isn't necessarily a downside, and if one stands sufficiently far, hyperfocal distance can give a very big depth of field.

I was in a band show the day before yesterday, and there was a raised platform at the back of the hall about 3-4m high. Standing there with a 24mm f/1.4 L at f/2 (hyperfocal distance 9.62m), I could get a wide shot of the band & audience dancing all in focus. Maybe I could even get the shot standing on one of the chairs next to the bar at the back.

Not making money from my photography equipment, and not being rich enough to buy all L, I buy primes elsewhere. So far I bought 4 primes by Sigma & Samyang, the one relevant to this discussion being the 35mm f/1.4. If the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 was as good, it would be my next lens.

I'm in the same boat cash wise. There seems to be some deep pockets around here though! :o
I've just bought sigma 17-50 .
Part of my problem is there's alot more toys photography equipment I need want so i can't tie up all my cash in just one lens.

What are the odds of the 40 shorty hood ES-52 being included? come on Canon!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:16:23 AM by kdsand »
7DII, 60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and etcetera etcetera

sandymandy

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
Only L Lenses come with hoods.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2012, 09:11:33 AM »

I don't know if Canon is doing themselves a favor by skipping tripod mounts on $1400 tele lenses (70-300L) and hoods on all non-L lenses, inc. $800 parts. They could include the luxury gold-plated hoods with the L lenses, but a standard hood costs a few cents in production - they're just building up a "customer rip-off" image with this.

ScottyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »

I don't know if Canon is doing themselves a favor by skipping tripod mounts on $1400 tele lenses (70-300L) and hoods on all non-L lenses, inc. $800 parts. They could include the luxury gold-plated hoods with the L lenses, but a standard hood costs a few cents in production - they're just building up a "customer rip-off" image with this.

SHHHHHH!  You mustn't anger Canon!  If you make them mad they might shut down the "free lens cap" gravy train...
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

DB

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »

First and foremost the new 40mm pancake lens is a Video Lens, so given the maximum recommended aperture for shooting HD video is f2.8, there is no need to produce a faster video prime. This new pancake is intended for continuous AF in video mode thanks to the addition of STM.

briansquibb

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »

First and foremost the new 40mm pancake lens is a Video Lens, so given the maximum recommended aperture for shooting HD video is f2.8, there is no need to produce a faster video prime. This new pancake is intended for continuous AF in video mode thanks to the addition of STM.

I appreciate that the 40mm has attributes that video users will appreciate - and as pointed out so do the new 24 and 28mm. Perhaps before the 24 and 28 hit the streets they will get the STM motor?

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »
Looking forward to it. On any DSLR body, such as my non gripped 5DMKII, it should make for a super light package.

It's interesting to see how many full-fledged dslr users suddenly speak out their desire to have a more compact, lighter camera system for some occasions. Imho this points towards the future - once mirrorless, more compact systems get a premium image, competitive af & lens selection, the old-school dlsr line will be less attractive.

briansquibb

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »
Looking forward to it. On any DSLR body, such as my non gripped 5DMKII, it should make for a super light package.

It's interesting to see how many full-fledged dslr users suddenly speak out their desire to have a more compact, lighter camera system for some occasions. Imho this points towards the future - once mirrorless, more compact systems get a premium image, competitive af & lens selection, the old-school dlsr line will be less attractive.

I have a G12 and a A550 - dont try to manipulate non facts into an earth shattering revelation - you have absolutely no idea what kit people have. You will have spotted no doubt that I am looking to move from a P&S to an entry level DSLR - so that it your theory blown out of the water.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2012, 07:06:40 PM »
I have a G12 and a A550 - dont try to manipulate non facts into an earth shattering revelation - you have absolutely no idea what kit people have.

Of course I have no idea what kits people have, so it is rather strange you're using this fact as an argument and with the added edgy tone. And with your gear collection, you seem to be very last person to qualify as a standard example.

But I can read posts, no manipulation there, and these turned from "who would want a pancake lens?" to "I want one for my dslr, too!". This is certainly not earth-shattering as you suspect, but simply interesting - and to me it shows there will be a large market for technologically competitive mirrorless systems instead of people getting many camera bodies at once.

briansquibb

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »
I have a G12 and a A550 - dont try to manipulate non facts into an earth shattering revelation - you have absolutely no idea what kit people have.

But I can read posts, no manipulation there, and these turned from "who would want a pancake lens?" to "I want one for my dslr, too!".

.... and then you came to the conclusion that

It's interesting to see how many full-fledged dslr users suddenly speak out their desire to have a more compact, lighter camera system for some occasions. Imho this points towards the future - once mirrorless, more compact systems get a premium image, competitive af & lens selection, the old-school dlsr line will be less attractive

without knowing what kit they have. So you cannot possibly state that they have a desire to have a more compact lighter camera system - because you dont know what they are migrating from .

I am happy to debate issues with people but not from the basis that views are being stated as facts

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »