July 25, 2014, 09:57:57 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Information.  (Read 30985 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Information.
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »
It's interesting to see
how many full-fledged dslr users suddenly speak out their desire to have a more compact, lighter camera system for some occasions.
I am happy to debate issues with people but not from the basis that views are being stated as facts

In this case, I'm sorry to say that my grasp of the English language is not sufficient to communicate with you in an appropriate form, maybe it's even for the best. To my understanding, "It's interesting to see" expresses that *I* see it, making the statement my *view*, not a fact. A fact is more like "most dlsr users want a more compact system".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2012, 07:31:17 PM »
It's interesting to see
how many full-fledged dslr users suddenly speak out their desire to have a more compact, lighter camera system for some occasions.
I am happy to debate issues with people but not from the basis that views are being stated as facts

In this case, I'm sorry to say that my grasp of the English language is not sufficient to communicate with you in an appropriate form, maybe it's even for the best. To my understanding, "It's interesting to see" expresses that *I* see it, making the statement my *view*, not a fact. A fact is more like "most dlsr users want a more compact system".

Yes you are correct. Your English is not up to the subtleties and I should have made allowances for it.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2012, 07:48:08 PM »
Yes you are correct. Your English is not up to the subtleties and I should have made allowances for it.

:-) Thanks, it's good to hear that, please keep it in mind in the future before jumping to conclusions or getting edgy - I'm not the only non-native speaker around here, and am certainly not participating in a forum to get into flame posting.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Looking forward to it. On any DSLR body, such as my non gripped 5DMKII, it should make for a super light package.

It's interesting to see how many full-fledged dslr users suddenly speak out their desire to have a more compact, lighter camera system for some occasions. Imho this points towards the future - once mirrorless, more compact systems get a premium image, competitive af & lens selection, the old-school dlsr line will be less attractive.
"Com[act, Light Weight, SYSTEM" that is a contradiction of terms. Most people have at least 3 lenses in their bag as a system. The size and weight of the body becomes secondary.The weight and the size of the bag will not be light or small.  I would put is in a different way."We need a smaller lighter weight single lens combo" As a DSLR user, once awhile I do "travel light" with only a 18-55 IS kid lens on my 40D. I probably will get the 40mm f 2.8 to make it even lighter and smaller. As for mirrorless body, they are too small and a little bit too light for my shooting habit. Even the Rebel is too small in my hand.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:58:20 PM by Rocky »

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
Looking forward to it. On any DSLR body, such as my non gripped 5DMKII, it should make for a super light package.

It's interesting to see how many full-fledged dslr users suddenly speak out their desire to have a more compact, lighter camera system for some occasions. Imho this points towards the future - once mirrorless, more compact systems get a premium image, competitive af & lens selection, the old-school dlsr line will be less attractive.
"Com[act, Light Weight, SYSTEM" that is a contradiction of terms. Most people have at least 3 lenses in their bag as a system. The size and weight of the body becomes secondary.The weight and the size of the bag will not be light or small.  I would put is in a different way."We need a smaller lighter weight single lens combo" As a DSLR user, once awhile I do "travel light" with only a 18-55 IS kid lens on my 40D. I probably will get the 40mm f 2.8 to make it even lighter and smaller. As for mirrorless body, they are too small and a little bit too light for my shooting habit. Even the Rebel is too small in my hand.

No it's not. My present DSLR minimal system weighs a ton and threatens people when I take a shot. People look at my 24-105 on a non-gripped 5DMKII and I often get comments like 'that is a real camera'. Compare to my Fuji X100 with flash, batteries, hood and cards which all goes into a Black Rapid case over the shoulder. I never notice the weight or size, and people never notice when I'm shooting. Two systems, two purposes. But I have twice as much trouble to manage, batteries, cards to upload, dates and time settings to keep in sync, systems to learn ...

I'm now looking at the possibility of a system consisting of a 5DMKII and a couple of pancakes. If I'm feeling ambitious maybe a flash. The whole thing can fit in a small bag at a pound or two. And I've got nearly the IQ of the full system, and all the speed and convenience of one core component.

I don't know why this concept is so difficult.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »

No it's not. My present DSLR minimal system weighs a ton and threatens people when I take a shot. People look at my 24-105 on a non-gripped 5DMKII and I often get comments like 'that is a real camera'. Compare to my Fuji X100 with flash, batteries, hood and cards which all goes into a Black Rapid case over the shoulder. I never notice the weight or size, and people never notice when I'm shooting. Two systems, two purposes. But I have twice as much trouble to manage, batteries, cards to upload, dates and time settings to keep in sync, systems to learn ...

I'm now looking at the possibility of a system consisting of a 5DMKII and a couple of pancakes. If I'm feeling ambitious maybe a flash. The whole thing can fit in a small bag at a pound or two. And I've got nearly the IQ of the full system, and all the speed and convenience of one core component.

I don't know why this concept is so difficult.
You have just echo what I said. You are also going to do what I have done for a long time. You are going to get rid of the big lens and get a pancake lens.  That is what I call a "one lens combo". Also you Fujifilm X100 is also another "one lens combo".The other pancake lens (if it exist), you can put it in your pocket. You do not even need a bag. I personally will not call it  a system. By the way, the weight of the bag with your 5D II,  2 lenses and the flash, batteries, etc will be over 3 lbs easily.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:42:13 PM by Rocky »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »
Actually, what this lens does is turn a 5D into somethng not unlike the Leica X2 or Fujifilm X100. A bit bigger, a real viewfinder, more ergonomic, much better image quality, admittedly a bit more complex to operate, way better specs across the board, and capable of mounting any EF lens ever made.

What's not to love?

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2012, 01:08:53 AM »
Can't wait to read a few more reviews.  If the autofocus speed isn't too bad in non-video mode, I'll definitely add one to the shopping list.  Like most people, I shoot DSLRs because they offer the best combination of image quality and feature set.  I didn't set out thinking "I need a big camera and heavy lenses".  If Canon chooses to produce something different, I think that's great.  Even more so if the lenses are affordable.  And yes, I'm also waiting excitedly for next week's mirrorless announcement!!

BTW, its interesting to hear poms complain about local prices.  Guys, you really need to start looking overseas for good prices.  Its only when your local stores start seeing their sales go elsewhere that they'll drop their prices to be competitive (or pressure their supplier accordingly).  Prices in Australia used to be high, but now we're largely on par with the US.  I suspect that this is largely due to Australian's being big online shoppers.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

briansquibb

« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2012, 03:03:14 AM »

BTW, its interesting to hear poms complain about local prices.  Guys, you really need to start looking overseas for good prices.

Those in the know do go 'grey' for some items. However there is the issue of the warantee....

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2012, 03:27:26 AM »
Only L Lenses come with hoods.

I don't know if Canon is doing themselves a favor by skipping tripod mounts on $1400 tele lenses (70-300L) and hoods on all non-L lenses, inc. $800 parts. They could include the luxury gold-plated hoods with the L lenses, but a standard hood costs a few cents in production - they're just building up a "customer rip-off" image with this.

SHHHHHH!  You mustn't anger Canon!  If you make them mad they might shut down the "free lens cap" gravy train...

"Snickering "  :-\ cling wrap/ plastic wrapped instead of caps - never say never, expect the unexpected. :P

Its just a tiny little thing. I think it was shown as an accessory.
Perhaps I'll do a DIY with a plastic container from my recycling bin.  ::) :D

60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

briansquibb

« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2012, 03:38:38 AM »

:-) Thanks, it's good to hear that, please keep it in mind in the future before jumping to conclusions or getting edgy - I'm not the only non-native speaker around here, and am certainly not participating in a forum to get into flame posting.

Perhaps it is your interpretation which is assuming that I am being 'edgy' - whatever that means. Reading emotion and hidden meaning into emails is a risky business even for native speakers.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2012, 04:03:40 AM »

Can't wait to read a few more reviews.  If the autofocus speed isn't too bad in non-video mode, I'll definitely add one to the shopping list.  Like most people, I shoot DSLRs because they offer the best combination of image quality and feature set.  I didn't set out thinking "I need a big camera and heavy lenses".  If Canon chooses to produce something different, I think that's great.  Even more so if the lenses are affordable.  And yes, I'm also waiting excitedly for next week's mirrorless announcement!!

BTW, its interesting to hear poms complain about local prices.  Guys, you really need to start looking overseas for good prices.  Its only when your local stores start seeing their sales go elsewhere that they'll drop their prices to be competitive (or pressure their supplier accordingly).  Prices in Australia used to be high, but now we're largely on par with the US.  I suspect that this is largely due to Australian's being big onl
ine shoppers.

Ahh the wonders of a global market. Love it or hate it - its here to stay.

I get a bit twitchy when i see prices jumping up directly from the source. Its fine for merchants to make a profit - up to a point and then it becomes abusive. Its nice to meet you but my name is not Ben Over. :o
This site is great because we get a global perspective and as they say knowledge is power.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2012, 04:20:29 AM »

Perhaps it is your interpretation which is assuming that I am being 'edgy' - whatever that means. Reading emotion and hidden meaning into emails is a risky business even for native speakers.

Thus far every one here is darn cool.
Some times its difficult to see the difference  between passionate and aggressive expressions.

I've even had bad days (not here) where I came across wrong. Thus I said sorry I was half asleep and miss read the situation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2012, 04:20:29 AM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »
Some times its difficult to see the difference  between passionate and aggressive expressions.

You're right, I have to keep this in mind, too. And when reading other forums, I have to say the communication style around here is quite civil - elsewhere tech geeks tend to flame each other on every possible occasion :-o

briansquibb

« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2012, 02:33:07 AM »
I've just heard from sources stating that those two STM lenses use electronic manual focus like the 85L. It's a blow to static image users, making it much less appealing to us.

Could you expand on why it is a problem please?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2012, 02:33:07 AM »