December 25, 2014, 08:33:00 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Information.  (Read 34303 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Information.
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
In case anyone was wondering, the EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake lens is in AF Group D on the 5DIII/1D X, meaning despite the f/2.8 aperture, it activates only the center (1 of 5) high-precision f/2.8 AF points, and also only activates the inner columns (10 of 20) of the f/4-sensitive crosses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2012, 02:43:14 PM »
In case anyone was wondering, the EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake lens is in AF Group D on the 5DIII/1D X, meaning despite the f/2.8 aperture, it activates only the center (1 of 5) high-precision f/2.8 AF points, and also only activates the inner columns (10 of 20) of the f/4-sensitive crosses.
This is interesting news and I'll admit it's curbed my enthusiasm for the shorty forty. I may not pick one up after all.

Phenix205

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »

Yes, I noticed that too. Despite this, I LOVE this lens. It makes my 5D3 much more portable and has produced sharp images. Best bang for the buck from Canon in years!
5D3 | M | 1v
70-200 II | 24-70 II | 16-35 IS | 100 L | 85L II | 40 | 600EX-RT

briansquibb

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »

Yes, I noticed that too. Despite this, I LOVE this lens. It makes my 5D3 much more portable and has produced sharp images. Best bang for the buck from Canon in years!

It wont be an issue with the 1 series or in good light

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »
Eh...I think that was the 2011 sign, the new 2012 London Underground signage (in preparation for the Olympics) has been revised - see below: ;D ;D ;D

I thought they got rid of all the Aussies.   :D

ROFL @ the modified sign

As an Aussie, I find this thread (esp the modified sign) so funny!   ;D

And as someone who used to live in London for several years until about 10 years ago... [yes, I eventually moved to greener pastures... Romania... then back to Australia 5 years ago....] well, I found it funny an underground station could / would state DSLRs are not allowed.  Then the additional post about this being a museum (with the explanation) made sense.

About the Canon 40mm f/2.8 - pretty much all the reviews (both pro/site reviews and user reviews) I have seen and read about this lens indicate very positively.  I had the Canon 50mm f/1.8 mkII but was never happy with the AF, nor the quality of the bokeh in many situations.  But the AF (inaccuracy - esp in low light, sluggish speed and horrible noise)  :(

Probably out of frustration, and partly out of totaly 'being in love' with Canon's USM... I 'vowed' to myself that I would only get a lens that has true USM (or equivalent eg HSM) for a 50mm prime. I've seen too many reviews with problems about the Sigma's AF erratic nature (as much as I see that lens has amazing potential with it's sharpness and wonderful bokeh).  I believe it can be 'hit or miss' in terms of getting a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 lens that 'gets AF right' with one's camera body.  I don't want to take this risk, and I've had issues with Sigma AF before (on an ultra-wide, though I have praise in other ways for the Sigma 10-20mm EX HSM)

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 doesn't quite cut it for me with the 'micro USM'... plus most copies are not sharp enough / contrasty wide open.  The 50mm f/1.2 L is overkill for me, and it also has 'speed' issues and focus-shift phenom.   The STM focus mechanism seems a decent alternative to 'true USM' - and I would probably really like to use the 40mm STM and 18-135mm STM lenses for a day out in the field (variety of conditions) to 'test this new lens AF system out'.

40mm on an APS-C is just a bit too wide for my likes.  50-60mm would probably be my ideal for a 'walk around prime' for subject isolation.  When I need more focal length, I use my 100mm f/2.8 non L macro (where I find the USM focus is really good and fast enough, esp when I use the 'minimal focal distance limiter' - though some ppl complain the 100mm f2.8 (non L) macro slow to AF (but I don't - especially not on my 7D!)  And I can use my 70-300mm L USM IS as a 'candid portrait lens' (it has great bokeh, and awesome image quality!)

f/2.8 is also not fast enough for a prime where I really want the background blurred, the subject needs to be too close (eg distorted faces).  I could see the 40mm f/2.8 being more useful as a 'a lightweight street lens' on a FF. But as I don't plan on moving to FF (at least not any time soon... and I expect I'll always keep / have a APS-C)... and really do love my Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS on my 7D for most 'street shots' that are in decent light, or don't require fast glass.

That means, I can see the 40mm having a lot of potential for some people, but for my style of shooting, I'm still looking at a 50mm - 60mm fast prime (I have ruled out the 60mm macro, because I really do want faster than f/2.8 ).  If a 50mm f/1.8 with better (read "true USM" or STM, or equivalent) lens comes out, that will probably be the last lens I feel that I 'need' to complement my existing lenses, and fit into my lens arsenal.

Ok... a bit 'off track' - but I do actually like what I see Canon doing with their new 40mm pancake.  Applause to them, for quality and price, and thinking 'outside' the usual square!  Hopefully this will herald in more 'new lenses' - and one that is right for me.  ;)

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »