July 26, 2014, 11:43:25 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Touchscreen Example Videos  (Read 5952 times)

Halocastle

Re: Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Touchscreen Example Videos
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
Why the hell did a Rebel get this technology first and not a flagship camera like 1DX or 5D Mk III? As a 5DM3 owner, I would seriously like to know.

Because it's gimmicky and not useful?

You haven't seen everything the touchscreen can do yet, have you?

I don't care.

Not caring does NOT equal not useful, right?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »
On the 2nd video (playback), not sure I'd like how when you switch between photos it's slightly zoomed out with borders, and then after a second it snaps up to full size on the screen. I'm all for making things look pretty and smooth when you can, but that would just bug the S___ out of me.

Only thing I can see this useful for on my 5d3 would be to pan around a heavily zoomed in image. Otherwise, not so much. Overall, at least at this time, I'd take a pass so I'm glad they didn't put this on the 5d3/1dx.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

rockychocbill

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
Being able to quickly select your focus point using the touchscreen as opposed to having to scroll around is helpful imo.

Same goes for accessing anything on the menu screens. The fewer button presses the better imo.

Although the magnify button might be just as fast and more accurate than performing a gesture zoom in.

It's just nice to have the touchscreen capability there for some things imo. Each person will find their own benefits.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
Being able to quickly select your focus point using the touchscreen as opposed to having to scroll around is helpful imo.

Same goes for accessing anything on the menu screens. The fewer button presses the better imo.

Although the magnify button might be just as fast and more accurate than performing a gesture zoom in.

It's just nice to have the touchscreen capability there for some things imo. Each person will find their own benefits.
Yeah, for most uses you'll actually find the buttons and wheel easier for changing exposure settings than a touch-screen, especially since that touch screen requires you to take your eye off what you are photographing. But, when you're already using the screen, it'll be pretty nice.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »
Count me among those who like this feature. I never use live view and have no particular interest in a swivel screen, but this I like.

It would be so much easier to just touch the setting you want to change and have the menu come up, instead of cycling through all the settings with the wheel and buttons. This will save time and prevent accidentally selecting the wrong function. I'm less excited about the image review functions, but they seem okay.

Most definitely not a gimmick in my book.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

c3hammer

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »
I think the main reason for the touch screen was to work with the video autofocus and autofocus tracking.  Those functions are so much more easily implemented through a touch screen. 

If it actually works like on the video camera's when using big L glass at f/2.8, this cam could become a monster for stabilizer work.  Currently there is no way to rack focus when on a stabilzer effectively with higher end glass and a large sensor.  The only way to use medium to shallow depth of field stabilzer footage is to keep the camera at a very specific distance from the subject.  This has always seriously limited the usefulness of certain stabilzer shots.

Looking forward to see how this "gimmick" works out.  It could prove to be incredible for the moving picture world if it actually works.

Cheers,
Pete

nazdar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »
Why the hell did a Rebel get this technology first and not a flagship camera like 1DX or 5D Mk III? As a 5DM3 owner, I would seriously like to know.

Because it's gimmicky and not useful?

You haven't seen everything the touchscreen can do yet, have you?

I don't care.

Not caring does NOT equal not useful, right?

Why are this gimmicky LCD touchscreens used by Epic pro cinema cameras from Red?  ;)

I found this function very useful. But it depends of implementation by Canon, it can be easily pain in the ass if its working arkwardly just like some stupid software or web GUIs.  :)
400D, old Nikkor-S Ai 50/1.4, Nikkor Ai 35/2,  Nikkor Ai 85/2, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 ... Ixus 120

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »

nazdar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »
btw I can't see videos! Broken links?
400D, old Nikkor-S Ai 50/1.4, Nikkor Ai 35/2,  Nikkor Ai 85/2, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 ... Ixus 120

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »