September 18, 2014, 12:04:16 AM

Author Topic: Canon Canada to dealers: EOS-1D X delayed until July  (Read 3960 times)

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
Canon Canada to dealers: EOS-1D X delayed until July
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
Thursday, June 7, 2012 | by Rob Galbraith

Canon Canada this week has begun informing pro photo retailers that initial shipments of the EOS-1D X digital SLR are not slated to arrive until July and that only "a small number of units" are expected at that time. While the Canon email being sent out to Canadian dealers is specific to the Canadian market, it almost certainly signals a worldwide slip in the release of the new camera.

The EOS-1D X had originally been announced to ship at the end of March. The new July time frame, if it applies to most countries and regions and not just Canada, represents the third shipping delay for Canon's latest 1-series model, which had most recently been due out this month.

The email notification, dated June 6, 2012, asks dealers to identify "orders [that] are pre-sold to CPS members and which of those will be heading to the Olympics," suggesting that Canon Canada is trying to put the first EOS-1D X bodies they receive into the hands of photographers heading to the London 2012 Olympics. That event kicks off July 27.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11678-12675
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Canada to dealers: EOS-1D X delayed until July
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »

nikkito

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
Re: Canon Canada to dealers: EOS-1D X delayed until July
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
i'm so pissed off!!

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »
I don't get the anger and disappointment about the 1D X delays.  It comes out when it comes out.  In the meantime keep shootng with your current gear and have fun.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

nikkito

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:35 PM »
I don't get the anger and disappointment about the 1D X delays.  It comes out when it comes out.  In the meantime keep shootng with your current gear and have fun.

ok, i'll let you know what my problem is.
I had two cameras, one i sold it in march because it was a unique opportunity and the 1D X was supposed to be out. This means i have no back up camera and no second camera for reportages.

Second, i'm working mostly on photojournalism and i have reached that point where i totally feel the limitations of my current camera. Can i get the Job done, almost always. Would it be MUCH easier with a 1D series? YES.

and last but no least, i have payed for it and i want to have it. I love photography, i love cameras and i'm also excited to have a 1d Series, and i'm also hoping i can reach another level. And i'm no noob that thinks a new camera makes better pictures. But try shooting action, concerts and lots of low lights situations with a 5d Mk II. The autofocus SUCKS.

anyway, you don't have to understand the anger & dissapointment.

in this world there is place for every opinion. you have yours, i have mine.
Cheers!

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »

Problem can be is you don't have the right "current gear".  Example, I was in the market late last year for a 1Dmk4.  I wanted to improve my sports shooting platform and gain a weather sealed body for the situations I'd find myself in at times.

Bang---1Dx is announced.  So I put in a pre-order.  Then we get hit with delays.  Meantime, you can't get a 1D4 as an option, none to be found...even if you wanted it (which I don't now).

So I'm shooting with my 7D, in a plastic freezer bag when it's raining.  Not what I wanted to be doing.  Since I got my 5D3, and considering the strangeness of the delays, I've decided to wait until this thing has baked a bit longer and killed my pre-order.  Whatever is the issue, I don't want one of the first ones (or second ones) delivered.  If I'm spending $7k, I want it basically bug free.  Besides, looking at the news info, I doubt any regular person will get one before the late fall.

SuperCrazySamurai

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »
And another delay...no shock there :). Oh well.....such is life....

nikkito

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
i look at your avatar when i read your posts. cooooool  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »

SuperCrazySamurai

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
i look at your avatar when i read your posts. cooooool  8)

Look on the bright side, if your CPS (and going to the olympics), it looks like you might get it sooner than many others who are not. :)

Cheers!

nikkito

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »
hehe thanks ;) actually i'm CPS but going to the olympics is something i can only dream about. I won't be one of the first ones, but who cares, this camera doesn't exist :P

cheers mate!

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »
And so it begins again.  Have to admit I am becoming numb to the delay announcements. This one is nice and vague too, giving themselves a four week window "in July," to deliver, though I imagine it will need to be early to mid-July, if they actually hope to have the cameras in the hands of Olympic photographers in time.  Not sure how that goal jibes with earlier posts saying that Olympic photographers already have "pre-production" models in their hands...

Anyway, if anyone sees confirmation of this delay to U.S. dealers, please post. 

jmac1

• Power Shot G16
  • I would rather have an old car and Fast Lenses!
    • View Profile
    • MacLean Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 09:52:14 PM »
My first fear when reading this is that the camera has problems.  Then I hope they are taking the time to work the bugs out. I would rather wait now than deal with an after sale nightmare, like others have done in the past.

I have a new to me 400mm 2.8 IS that is not exactly paired best with the 5DII or 40D.  I find that I don't even shoot my 40D at weddings anymore I change lenses on my 5DII, and wedding season will almost be done by the time I get my hands on the 1DX, even being a CPS member.
1DX(pre-order) | 5DII | 40D |14L II | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100L IS | 400 2.8L IS |17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 1.4x | 2.0x |

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »
Well they seem to have missed Euro 2012 despite the fact that they are the official camera, and all the togs will be wearing Canon sponsored bibs (not related I know).

July is very vague. Most attending the Olympics will already be comfortable with their kit and probably would not want to "trial" a new camera at such an important event.

I will be at quite a few events in the coming weeks and will keep my eyes peeled for any 1DX or other mysterious cameras that may be floating around the press centre!!
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:21 PM »
I've learned long ago to have a plan if that new body I've ordered does not arrive.  It could arrive defective, get lost or stolen, so a delay is frustrating, but not the end of the world.

Canon will be at the Olympics making sure that CPS Olympic photographers are at least able to borrow a D1 X along with some of the new lenses.  Nikon will be there with the D4 as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:21 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
i'm so pissed off!!

Me too. I am going for a one month safari to Africa and this camera would have made a difference.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 12:06:10 AM »
I don't get the anger and disappointment about the 1D X delays.  It comes out when it comes out.  In the meantime keep shooting with your current gear and have fun.

+1. Absolutely! If there are issues that need to be dealt with, I'd prefer it was delayed until Christmas if they need the time to get things right. A premature release can disappoint...

PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 12:06:10 AM »