October 22, 2014, 12:02:34 PM

Author Topic: Bought a 5D Mark iii Today (YAY)  (Read 6790 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Bought a 5D Mark iii Today (YAY)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »
PW......

Yes.....POTUS was on board, he had just finished a speech at U.N.L.V.

And, his cabin is right below the cockpit, so ironically he could've been looking out that third window......

I did get the kit, and the only lens I had was the 24-105.....it was a stretch, and I cropped the pic of the plane in LR.
_______

Mt Spokane Photography,

I bought the kit, and plan on buying a macro, telephoto, wide angle L series lenses (in that order).....so, I do have some things I need to acquire.....I didn't have time to learn the settings for the camera yesterday.....but will play around with it and read the manual this weekend when things are less hectic.....thanks for your input.

The kit lens is excellent, and you will love it. 

Once you get a FF, focal lengths are suddenly more limited, so you might be looking for longer focal lengths soon. 

Fortunately, there is a good assortment of older Canon telephoto lenses that perform reasonably well on the 5D MK II, so don't be afraid to pay $100 for a old 70-210mm f/4 zoom, its a old push-pull design, but will fill a gap until you can afford a top of the line lens.  I gave mine to my daughter and she loves it.  Another one, a 100-300mm lens can often be found for $100, and its respectable even though not spectacular.  I have had several of both, that came with old film bodies bought on Craigslist.

personally I'd spend the money on the long zooms and save it on the standard, if anything

why?

the current standard FF zooms from canon are hardly sharpness record breakers, the 24-105 is run of the mill at best for an L, the new tamron 24-70 2.8 has 2.8 and is sharper even if it costs just a little bit more and the tamron 28-75 2.8 is sharper and costs a ton less although with slower AF, no IS, a bit less contrast and doesn't go quite as wide

the canon 70-200 f/4 IS and 70-300 IS L are awesome lenses though and simply better than all the third party or non-L stuff

if the long zoom needs to cost less then i'd get 55-250 or tamron 70-300 vc over the ones you mention
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:49:05 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »

b3enthusiast

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
RLPhoto,
 Thanks for your affirmation of my purchase......I've known for awhile now that the Mark 3 was the one, even though I did a ton of research.......

I only have the kit lens, but I plan to purchase several different L series lenses.

_______

Tammy,

Thank you very much.

_______

Dylan777,

I plan to purchase a macro lens next month.

_______

Mt Spokane Photography,

With the economy in the shape it's in there are many deals on Craigslist, and I do turn there when I am looking for a bargain.....I will keep that in mind as I look for things I need......thanks for the reminder.

________

awinphoto,

My daughter was closer to the airport taking photos and Secret Service was everywhere.....and, I am thankful for the job they do.....but, they sure do get in the way of some beautiful pictures sometimes  : )

________

zim,

As late as last week I was the one green with envy.....now it's someone else's turn.   :)

________

KyleSTL,

I think you were speaking to a previous poster, but I took your comments under advisement.   :)

________

rcarca,

I probably won't go as far as the mega-committment it takes for the uber-costly L series super telephoto lenses....but I will get what I need to be functional......we all have our comfort zones......and, the 400mm would probably also suit me as well......

________

Arkarch,

Were you watching AFO take off?......I was afraid I wasn't going to get the camera battery charged enough to take the photos......my daughter was down at Sunset and Eastern and caught the landing from a parking lot with a point and shoot......

________

LetTheRightLensIn,

That is good input......I will be buying the telephoto after my macro......so I have a little time to study and research....thanks.....

________

Thanks to all of you for your input and help......

Sincerely,
B3

TheFarmer

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
Congratulations!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »

Once you get a FF, focal lengths are suddenly more limited, so you might be looking for longer focal lengths soon. 

Fortunately, there is a good assortment of older Canon telephoto lenses that perform reasonably well on the 5D MK II, so don't be afraid to pay $100 for a old 70-210mm f/4 zoom, its a old push-pull design, but will fill a gap until you can afford a top of the line lens.  I gave mine to my daughter and she loves it.  Another one, a 100-300mm lens can often be found for $100, and its respectable even though not spectacular.  I have had several of both, that came with old film bodies bought on Craigslist.
Are you talking about the 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM?  Or the 100-300mm f/5.6 or 5.6L?  I have the former and find the image quality at 300mm to be quite poor.  The focus speed, build quality and IQ at <200mm are quite decent for the price, but I think the IQ of this lens is the worst of all the Canon xxx-300mm zooms they have made.  I have considered selling it to buy the 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-210mm f/4, 100-300mm f/5.6, or any of the 75-300mm lenses.

I also just picked up the Tamron 200-400mm f/5.6 for $100, and while the image quality is much better than the 100-300mm USM, the focus speed is nearly unusable, so I might just list it on eBay and make a little profit from the flip (they normally go for $175-250).

I was replying to the OP, he noted that he was on a budget.  You are welcome to the Canon 75-300mm lens, if you think it is great, go for it, I'm not going to knock someone for their choice of lenses, we all have to make buying decisions that are right for us.  The 100-300 is weak at 300mm, but its strong at 100-200mm, and its cheap.  It and the 70-210mm f/4 which is better, both pickup where his 24-105mm L leaves off.  A 200-400mm lens leaves a gap for him to fill.

Obviously, we would like to recommend top lenses, but if he is looking for a place holder to extend his focal length for now, the 70-210 would be my first recommendation.

Here is a cat photo with my 70-210mm f/4 taken a few years back with my 30D or 40D.  This is a 100% crop at 200mm and wide open aperture.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
Hope you enjoy it.  Is this your first 'serious' camera, or are you upgrading from another DSLR? [I'm not going to criticize anyone's decisions, I'm just curious because of old arguments on the forum before the 5D MkIII was released]
I hear what you're saying, but I've seen this question before, I just wonder where/why it comes up!?!

Why would it possibly matter to anyone why the 5D3 or higher would be anyone 'first' camera?

Everyone out there, has different levels of disposable income. To some people, buying a Porsche is the same thing as someone buying their first Toyota.  Usually, at least to my observance.....people usually jump into anything they buy, at the highest level they can comfortably afford.

I've posted here about my first ever DSLR camera ever...I got the 5D3...and just could not understand people that seemed to actually deride me for not buying something much cheaper or of lessor capability.

If one can afford one, whether easily or has saved (I'm honestly about half way in this one) for a $$$$ camera like this.....why is there any question whatsoever?

I wanted to start with the absolute best I could afford...and learn and enjoy it for years and years to come.

I guess I just don't' understand the mentality of why someone (and again, with your disclaimer, not pointing the finger at you on this) would even think to come up with the question of asking why they started with a high level toy/tool?

Do you walk up to everyone person with a Ferrari, and ask them if they started with a Kia?

Sorry...I love this forum, but this is the ONE thing that has just caught my attention, and made me very curious where this type of mindset comes from...I've honestly not encountered it before on any interest or forum I've ever been on..and I'm not a spring chicken.
:)

C

PS....Congrats on your new camera, and WOW...what a cool first set of pics to take with it!!!  I know you'll enjoy it...I'm just overwhelmed and having a blast learning about the camera...both for video and stills and how to edit both stills and video.
If you're anything like me...this is going to open up many years of pleasure of learning for the future....I love learning new things....that are fun!

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »
Very nice... I shot AF1 in northern nevada at the airport...  Dear god almighty security was tight and I had to sneak a peak of the plane running down the runway through a door cracked open only 6 inches at best... and that's with secret service monitoring my every movement.  Good shots.

You should have distracted them with some Columbian hookers :o Works everytime ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:09:16 AM by V8Beast »

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
Is that the POTUS on board? Third window from the front?

With a D800 you could tell......

I kid, I kid!!!!!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 12:37:26 AM »

Are you talking about the 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM?  Or the 100-300mm f/5.6 or 5.6L?  I have the former and find the image quality at 300mm to be quite poor.  The focus speed, build quality and IQ at <200mm are quite decent for the price, but I think the IQ of this lens is the worst of all the Canon xxx-300mm zooms they have made.  I have considered selling it to buy the 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-210mm f/4, 100-300mm f/5.6, or any of the 75-300mm lenses.

I also just picked up the Tamron 200-400mm f/5.6 for $100, and while the image quality is much better than the 100-300mm USM, the focus speed is nearly unusable, so I might just list it on eBay and make a little profit from the flip (they normally go for $175-250).

I was replying to the OP, he noted that he was on a budget.  You are welcome to the Canon 75-300mm lens, if you think it is great, go for it, I'm not going to knock someone for their choice of lenses, we all have to make buying decisions that are right for us.  The 100-300 is weak at 300mm, but its strong at 100-200mm, and its cheap.  It and the 70-210mm f/4 which is better, both pickup where his 24-105mm L leaves off.  A 200-400mm lens leaves a gap for him to fill.

Obviously, we would like to recommend top lenses, but if he is looking for a place holder to extend his focal length for now, the 70-210 would be my first recommendation.

Here is a cat photo with my 70-210mm f/4 taken a few years back with my 30D or 40D.  This is a 100% crop at 200mm and wide open aperture.

Impressive shot. Have you owned any of the other lenses I mentioned?  If I do decide to sell off my telephoto zooms, I would like to get the best bang/buck replacement (since they are all in the same price range) and I would value your opinion on the choices.

if the long zoom needs to cost less then i'd get 55-250 or tamron 70-300 vc over the ones you mention
Except that the 55-250mm is an EF-S lens that will not even mount on the 5D3.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

Ayelike

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 08:13:03 AM »
Well on the subject of building the glass collection, when I get my 5D3 (just 5 days to go!) I've got two bits of glass I want to get my hands on but not sure which I'll want first.

Firstly, as I'm moving up to full-frame I'm going to be selling off my 10-22mm EF-S. Now this is going to hurt me because I love ultra-wide angle shots and I'm probably going to have to invest in a 16-35mm f2.8. I was half thinking about getting the 17-40mm f4 but I think in the long run I'll be happier with the f2.8 as it'll go nicely with my 24-70mm f2.8 and my 70-200mm f2.8.

My other thought is at the opposite end of the range. My 70-200mm won't have the reach I'm used to on the 5D3 so I'm thinking about either the 100-400mm or the 400mm f5.6. I think I'm leaning towards the 400mm prime for wildlife and motor sport. Mainly motor sport were the IS won't be as missed as the subjects are moving so fast.

I think I need to just pace myself though and get used to the 5D3. It's a new world of stuff to learn and my 24-70mm is going to be a lot wider than I'm used to so I might change my mind on the order of glass I want.

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 12:01:41 PM »
Hope you enjoy it.  Is this your first 'serious' camera, or are you upgrading from another DSLR? [I'm not going to criticize anyone's decisions, I'm just curious because of old arguments on the forum before the 5D MkIII was released]
I hear what you're saying, but I've seen this question before, I just wonder where/why it comes up!?!

Why would it possibly matter to anyone why the 5D3 or higher would be anyone 'first' camera?

Everyone out there, has different levels of disposable income. To some people, buying a Porsche is the same thing as someone buying their first Toyota.  Usually, at least to my observance.....people usually jump into anything they buy, at the highest level they can comfortably afford.

I've posted here about my first ever DSLR camera ever...I got the 5D3...and just could not understand people that seemed to actually deride me for not buying something much cheaper or of lessor capability.

If one can afford one, whether easily or has saved (I'm honestly about half way in this one) for a $$$$ camera like this.....why is there any question whatsoever?

I wanted to start with the absolute best I could afford...and learn and enjoy it for years and years to come.

I guess I just don't' understand the mentality of why someone (and again, with your disclaimer, not pointing the finger at you on this) would even think to come up with the question of asking why they started with a high level toy/tool?

Do you walk up to everyone person with a Ferrari, and ask them if they started with a Kia?

Sorry...I love this forum, but this is the ONE thing that has just caught my attention, and made me very curious where this type of mindset comes from...I've honestly not encountered it before on any interest or forum I've ever been on..and I'm not a spring chicken.
:)

C

PS....Congrats on your new camera, and WOW...what a cool first set of pics to take with it!!!  I know you'll enjoy it...I'm just overwhelmed and having a blast learning about the camera...both for video and stills and how to edit both stills and video.
If you're anything like me...this is going to open up many years of pleasure of learning for the future....I love learning new things....that are fun!

It's true, it shouldn't matter what you want to buy or how much you want to spend.  It's like when I upgrade my PC (takes 4 - 5 years or so), I buy the best I can at the time.  I know that it should last me a few years.  If a person wants to buy a 1 series for their first camera, all the power to them.  They'll have something they can grow with for years to come.  I'm not going to criticize someone for something I don't have or can't buy.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »

Impressive shot. Have you owned any of the other lenses I mentioned?  If I do decide to sell off my telephoto zooms, I would like to get the best bang/buck replacement (since they are all in the same price range) and I would value your opinion on the choices.

Except that the 55-250mm is an EF-S lens that will not even mount on the 5D3.

Just to follow up with what I was saying a couple months back:

I did end up finding a good deal on a 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, and find the sharpness and overall image quality to be better.  The 70-210 does not have the horrible ghosting on the long end that I saw with the 100-300 USM.  The extra 2/3 stop will be nice for less than perfect lighting.  Overall I'm pleased with the purchase, and the 100-300mm is already listed on eBay.  Thanks for the suggestion, Mt Spokane.  Additionally, I sold the Tamron 200-400mm, as I found the AF to be unusably slow.  It sold for much more than I paid, so the short ownership was more than worth it.

Eventually I'll step up to a 70-200mm f/4L or 70-200mm f/4L IS, but this will do for now.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 12:15:46 PM »
Very nice... I shot AF1 in northern nevada at the airport...  Dear god almighty security was tight and I had to sneak a peak of the plane running down the runway through a door cracked open only 6 inches at best... and that's with secret service monitoring my every movement.  Good shots.

You should have distracted them with some Columbian hookers :o Works everytime ;D

Haha just read your comment today, you know I didn't have any with me, lol.  In the shot I did get of AF1 running down the runway, I could see secret service standing on top of the hangers/terminals in the distance... With my 7d at the time and 70-200, i guess it would be easy to assume its a rocket launcher or the like...  Oh well... note to self, next time AF1 comes to town, hire hookers... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 12:15:46 PM »