April 20, 2014, 05:10:37 PM

Author Topic: Canon Rebel T4i/650D EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM & EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Officially Announced  (Read 17477 times)

scruffysaint

So the 650D gets continuous autofocus in video mode but not in the 5Dmk3 I purchased a few months ago? Hmm.

canon rumors FORUM

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
So the 650D gets continuous autofocus in video mode but not in the 5Dmk3 I purchased a few months ago? Hmm.

On thinking, despite my previous comment would a 5D3 owner want it.
Last time I used camcorder with this function the AF was never really consistent, not like follow focus.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

kapanak

Can somebody clarify if the new "Hybrid CMOS" AF is in fact a combination of PDAF and CDAF like the Nikon 1 sensor or something different?

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
So in short, new sensor, the sensor includes some pixels that are used for AF and not IQ.

Indeed - why would Canon upgrade the iq of the sensor if you can have "Multi Shot Noise Reduction" to expand dr in jpeg, just like the hdr mode on the 5d3 :-( ?

The good thing are the af pixels, if this really works we might see it on all upcoming bodies.

scruffysaint

On thinking, despite my previous comment would a 5D3 owner want it.
Last time I used camcorder with this function the AF was never really consistent, not like follow focus.

I capture documentary footage in the field and don't always have the time to follow focus so it would be really helpful for me. I don't even mind the hunting you get with cheap camcorders, it's a nice effect.

pete vella

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
ok...so the press release isn't clear...

Can you use Auto Focus for video ONLY if you use an STM lens?

Does that mean my $1200 24-105 L lens is no good for video?
Yes it will work with all ef and efs lens only the stm will be smooth and quiet.
Has any one confirmed if 3x crop mode is an included in specs.

pete vella

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Can somebody clarify if the new "Hybrid CMOS" AF is in fact a combination of PDAF and CDAF like the Nikon 1 sensor or something different?
Yes pdaf for broad traking in a center cross pattern and cdaf for fine tuning.

canon rumors FORUM

briansquibb

The 1DX has been delayed so this video feature can be added ;)

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
I'm going to hold out for the 40mm pancake f/2.8 L.

I might hold out for a 40mm pancake f/2.0 or faster, because between the 24-70, 35L and 50 II there really isn't a place in my bag for a slow prime in that range. Wait, there's always be space for this lens ;-)

kapanak

The 1DX has been delayed so this video feature can be added ;)

Thank you.

Now a better question is how those pixels would show up in the RAW files ... or rather, how they won't show up.

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Now a better question is how those pixels would show up in the RAW files ... or rather, how they won't show up.

While it seems that Canon is finally going video and distinguishing their cameras from Nikon not by senror iq, but good af I cannot imagine the pixels will affect raw files in any way. They'll do the same thing - whatever that is - they're doing in their built-in jpeg converter in updated software raw converters, much like the htp feature.

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
35% more expensive than the Nikon D3200 ($950 vs $700)

Does anybody know how they compare?
(of course the D3200 will win IQ-wise, I'm mostly asking about AF, OVF, etc)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Hmm... On chip phase detect AF, new STM motors -could make a future Canon mirrorless camera very interesting...

canon rumors FORUM

ozzy666

Bottom line: IQ and ISO in RAW will be the same as T2i\T3i.

canon rumors FORUM