October 22, 2014, 08:56:45 AM

Author Topic: Used 60D or new 650D/T4i?  (Read 29645 times)

PictoPete

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Used 60D or new 650D/T4i?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »
Awesome choice. Magic Lantern firmware for 60D has a built-in intervalometer function, making time-lapse more convenient should you need it. :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »

locke42

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 05:01:23 AM »
If you get 60d body thru CLP and the 15-85/vari lens then you end up paying..
$640 for body
$512 for lens

So far $1152 + tax where applicable.
You can snag a 430EXII speedlite for $192 as well. $1254

That lens above is really all you'll need for anything, assuming a general walk-around lens. It gets great marks across the board on all the lens reviews. The flash isn't the highest-end one, but it will DEFINITELY give you lighting options where you were previously limited.

The only gotcha with the CLP discount is that you can only get lens and flash discounts if you order with a body.

Fret not about them being REFURBISHED. Some are returns. Some are overstock. Some are (barely-used) open-stock. The point is, I have no problem trusting CANON the camera-maker of this very hardware to assure that it is up to specification like a new product. So they clean everything and replace anything necessary to get it up to running as a new item would. They offer the 90-day warranty vs 1 year not as a lack of confidence but simply because it's the minimum required by law and also to give incentive to buy their NEW-listed product at the higher price if you demand the full year. The cameras look new in appearance and their packaging is the same save for a generic Canon box.

You will not be disappointed getting a refurb unit from Canon.
How does the CLP work? Do I get the same discount regardless of what existing Canon I have? And does it really matter if my camera is broken or not? (My SX10 is in working order, albeit rather beat up and its lens is a bit scratched.)

I was just going to go back to the camera store tomorrow to pick it and the lens up, but if I save that much money off a refurb, then it's definitely a consideration.

PictoPete

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »
Read the OVERCLOCK.NET thread in detail first, but
To sum it up..
Call Canon up using the provided number then tell them you would like to go for the loyalty program. Describe them your existing camera model and problem. Then, select your choice of body, lens, etc for an SLR. Canon will then provide you the extra discount and charge it to a card and then ship. You will have to send your old camera in using a prepaid mailer sheet they email you. MAKE SURE THEY EMAIL YOU THE MAILER SHEET. There's also an express shipping option if the standard free ship isn't enough.

That's it in a nutshell, but do read the overclock.net thread first post from start to finish.

locke42

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2012, 07:01:29 AM »
If the 15-85mm isn't actually included in the deal, then I "only" save about $150 or so (the discount off the body), which is only a 10% discount off the body and lens that I want. I save even less, if I have to buy a broken camera off eBay to send to them. And the savings disappear almost totally if I buy from Amazon since they don't charge sales tax or shipping. (I won't; there's a camera store here that I'd rather support with my business, but I'm just pointing it out. ;D)

I think I'll just use my SX10 for the CLP if I decide to move up to a full frame.

locke42

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »
Trigger pulled!

I was originally just going to get the 60D with the 15-85mm USM and the 50mm f/1.8, but the sales guy at Samy's gave me a break on the taxes, so I bumped up to the 50mm f/1.4 USM.

Still.... my wallet's hurting!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 03:07:08 AM »
Still.... my wallet's hurting!

Your wallet can only hurt if there's still something left in there - believe me, that'll change :-o ... the first thing I got after my 60d & first lenses was a 430ex2 flash for remote flash & high speed sync.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:05 AM »
Just wait until you buy your first L lens

Just wanted to mention it: There are other excellent lenses out there that create stunning images except for Canon "L", and older Canon L or even the current 17-40 aren't that stellar. I've got Canon lenses that don't have a comparable 3rd party alternative (100L, 70-300L), but others have like the Tokina 11-16, Sigma 50/1.4 and 85/1.4, Tamron 24-70/2.8 ... the only issue with your and my 60d is that it doesn't have af micro adjustment, so you have to get a lens that fits your body right from the shelf.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:05 AM »

SambalOelek

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »
Just wanted to mention it: There are other excellent lenses out there that create stunning images except for Canon "L", and older Canon L or even the current 17-40 aren't that stellar. I've got Canon lenses that don't have a comparable 3rd party alternative (100L, 70-300L) (...)

In all fairness, the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM is comparable to the 100 L, and on par mechanically and IQ-wise. It has a metal body, the 100 L is a bit on the plasticky side in my opinion. The 100 f/2.8 non-L is also at least on par IQ-wise (except the L's bokeh, which is great).
1D X, 1D IV, 5D III, 6D, 7D, M. Assorted lenses.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »
In all fairness, the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM is comparable to the 100 L, and on par mechanically and IQ-wise. It has a metal body, the 100 L is a bit on the plasticky side in my opinion. The 100 f/2.8 non-L is also at least on par IQ-wise (except the L's bokeh, which is great).

Ok, I didn't make myself clear enough: I'd only recommend/get 3rd party lenses if there is a significant price or iq difference to Canon, because you'll run into less difficulties with the latter and it's valid for cps.

I had the 100 non-L macro and only switched it because the L has better sealing and is dual-usable as a portrait lens with IS and sharp f2.8 - I don't have a 70-200/2.8. I am frequently recommending the non-L for macro work, excellent lens.

At the same time, I'm always commenting on the 100L plastic fantastic build, but the iq and IS is stellar. I don't know much about the Sigma, but for currently 75€ more (Canon currently has a 70€ rebate) I'd take the Canon any day.

absolutic

SONY NEX
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »
Okay, now I'm VERY torn. Just as I was all set to get the 60D, too.

I just played around with a Sony NEX-7, and that thing was sweet. And a hell of a lot lighter than the 60D. More expensive, but still around my price range. Image quality seems to be on par, based on DPReview. The NEX-7 has better noise reduction for JPEGs, but the 60D seems to be a tad better in RAWs.

Sony NEX is excellent as a companion to one's main camera.   I have Sony Nex 5n which is better in low light than Sony Nex 7, and half the price, but Sony Nex 7 is a nice choice too, on ergonomics and quality and dynamic range at low ISOs.       I bring my Sony Nex 5n at night/when going out/ when I don't feel like bringing my DSLR with me.   I need not worry about the noise, as it shares 16MP sensor with Nikon D7000 and Pentax K5 and Sony A models from last year, but has a weaker anti-aliasing filter, so has even better quality (check it out on DXO site). Nex 5n also has touch screen with touch screen auto focus, which Nex 7 is missing.   You can spend the $650 you saving on lenses

Re: CLP:  while getting 5DM2 for $1400+tax from CLP is a good deal in comparion which what you get on used market (Fred Miranda/POTN/Craigslist),   getting 7D for almost $1100+tax is not a good deal, as you can get a mint used one for $1000 from all of the above forums, sometimes with extra goodies (like batteries etc).  In my opinion, if you want 7D, go get used.  They are all built like tanks these days and it is hard to find a bad one.ß

BCMAR15

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »
Just my 2 cents, for me, 60D.

I have nothing against the new cam.  Its value adds--no denying they're there--just don't fit my current needs.  I would never use anything but manual focus, not matter how good the A/F is.  My focus point isn't always the cam's.

I'm happy to see it, though, especially if it drives the cost of the T2i down.  I do video more than stills and having B, C, D roll (different angles, audio backup) is great.

As to the 18MP sensor carry-over--GREAT!  I get a LOT of B roll from other parts of the country.  Having the SAME sensor in a bunch of cameras makes my post-processing a breeze.  I just tell them how I what their cam--7D, 60D, 3Ti, 2Ti--set up, and it matches my stuff.

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
Re: SONY NEX
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 01:41:18 PM »
In my opinion, if you want 7D, go get used.  They are all built like tanks these days and it is hard to find a bad one.ß
[/quote]

Buyer beware. My 7d i bought used, has never been a champion, and is on its way back to canon for its third adjustment. I sadly can rely more on a rebel body then a 7d. My thinking is well colored at this point.

speaking of which, I am about to buy a new T2i. Great image quality, for me at the wnd of the day, is king. But admittedly the 7d is a wonderfully functioning body- sensor, not so much.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

DB

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
In my opinion, if you want 7D, go get used.  They are all built like tanks these days and it is hard to find a bad one.ß

Buyer beware. My 7d i bought used, has never been a champion, and is on its way back to canon for its third adjustment. I sadly can rely more on a rebel body then a 7d. My thinking is well colored at this point.

speaking of which, I am about to buy a new T2i. Great image quality, for me at the wnd of the day, is king. But admittedly the 7d is a wonderfully functioning body- sensor, not so much.
[/quote]

7D used is almost same price as 7D new.

With regard to 7D image quality (I had T2i before) it has never let me down, took these pics today:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=7248.0

Perhaps you were unfortunate and didn't get one that was 100%.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
One more hint for the 60D. If you shoot fast moving scenes, with the multicontroller you can select every AF point with the press of just one button. It is more complicated to switch points on the Rebel and that was my main reason for upgrading.

SambalOelek

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 05:56:53 PM »

Ok, I didn't make myself clear enough: I'd only recommend/get 3rd party lenses if there is a significant price or iq difference to Canon, because you'll run into less difficulties with the latter and it's valid for cps.

I had the 100 non-L macro and only switched it because the L has better sealing and is dual-usable as a portrait lens with IS and sharp f2.8 - I don't have a 70-200/2.8. I am frequently recommending the non-L for macro work, excellent lens.

At the same time, I'm always commenting on the 100L plastic fantastic build, but the iq and IS is stellar. I don't know much about the Sigma, but for currently 75€ more (Canon currently has a 70€ rebate) I'd take the Canon any day.

Ok, that makes sense. The 100L is great, no question about it. It just feels a bit...tacky compared to, well, any other L-lens I can think of :)
1D X, 1D IV, 5D III, 6D, 7D, M. Assorted lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 05:56:53 PM »