April 16, 2014, 03:53:21 AM

Author Topic: Ergonomics... Why you pay more for a 1D...  (Read 14163 times)

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Ergonomics... Why you pay more for a 1D...
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
That's why you have a top series and the ones that fall underneath.  People that need more in a camera usually move up in the scale depending on what their needs are, how much they can afford, etc.  It's funny that people complain about lower tier cameras when they have the top.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
My 1Ds III and 1D MK IV paid my mortgage and kept my kids happy in the fashion stakes so I have no complaints with the gear.  However, after 3 years of abuse - the 1Ds needed updating and naturally the 5D III was the choice to select.  When you have giant sausage fingers like mine - you have to use a grip otherwise you press 3 buttons at once - so my supplier ensured it came with the grip and the OP is right in the initial assessment - the joystick is in a dog awful low position - but also - 5 minutes using it you see why it has to be lower to fit the design of the 5D III and naturally - as in any profession - you adapt and move on to earn some dollars - a week on and it is second nature - the camera and grip feel very comfortable - so much so that my 1D IV now sits in the bag taking a well earned rest.
This is an example of good adaptability!  What do you think of the 5D3 so far, having come from using the 1DS3 and 1D4?
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

MacDogMcCrunchie

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
Personally/Historically - the 1D MK IV is the best Canon camera I have ever used as in last 2 years of day in / day out usage. It felt right in my hands and produced the goods daily.  I tried the 5D3 without grip and it was too small - purely because I am fat fingered - nothing against the camera. However, with the BG-E11grip and a natural bedding in - it is without doubt the best camera / grip combination outside the 1D series. Its very solid / not flimsy and I placed a Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS on it and it felt very firm and handled well - which is a key element of a vertical grip combo with the larger lenses.

The 5D III is a very solid camera and ticks my box. 

westr70

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »
Hmmm....... can't believe this thread is still going but hey what the heck.  There is good information here and while I am enjoying the 5d3 as it is, I'm getting interested in trying the grip.  I have large hands and it would be interesting to have more to latch on to.  I'd like to get another lens for my video work but the grip would be nice for the straight photography aspect.  Decisions, decisions. 
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
Hmmm....... can't believe this thread is still going but hey what the heck.  There is good information here and while I am enjoying the 5d3 as it is, I'm getting interested in trying the grip.  I have large hands and it would be interesting to have more to latch on to.  I'd like to get another lens for my video work but the grip would be nice for the straight photography aspect.  Decisions, decisions.

If you have large hands the perceived ergonomic anomalies of the BG-E11 will be less noticeable than for the digitally challenged ( I'm talking finger/hand size...!). Get the BG-E11 as soon as practical. It's bulkier than previous grips but that shouldn't bother your fortunate physiology.

PW
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:29:26 PM by pwp »

hoghavemercy

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2012, 04:57:50 AM »
Does that mean the OP goes around town and looks for people who own a 5D3 and tells em "Uh you got a bad ergonomics there" hopefully somebody who happens to have a .45 and a shovel is willing to tell him otherwise.. :'(

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2012, 05:25:16 AM »
I think Clisstudio has a valid point of view and he has expressed it VERY well WITHOUT being rude at all.
It this forum not about this?
Sanjay

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2012, 05:25:16 AM »

tomscott

• 7D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2012, 07:39:45 AM »
I think saying the 1DX is worth £3000 more because the ergonomics are better is a bit strong.

You get a lot more with the 1DX in terms of features and the camera is designed for a different situation. You also get used to what you shoot too and in your case stepping from a pro camera to a 5D which is also a pro camera but on the higher scale of pro-sumer rather than pro of corse it will be different. The 1D is also designed specifically with the grip whereas the 5D isnt therfore there is only a finite amount of space on the back with the expectation of huge screens and the grip is an extra which makes things easier, but not fully integrated which makes the ergonomics harder to achieve.

But as it is a pro-sumer camera the size is important the 1D is too heavy and bulky to carry around for the more consumer side of the scale and thats whats nice about the 5D is its smaller size factor.

Its like chalk and cheese. Also depends on what your used to and how big your hands are. Kind of a silly argument really. The 5D is best of both worlds and for 99% of people not worth 50% extra, even for a lot of pros.
Canon 5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
Backup:40D, 17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »
Does that mean the OP goes around town and looks for people who own a 5D3 and tells em "Uh you got a bad ergonomics there" hopefully somebody who happens to have a .45 and a shovel is willing to tell him otherwise.. :'(

Well that's very sweet of you Hog Have Mercy. As well as being an undisguised flame, it almost amounts to a threat. There is absolutely no place for this sort of sentiment on CR or any list.

PW

briansquibb

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2012, 08:30:14 AM »

Well that's very sweet of you Hog Have Mercy. As well as being an undisguised flame, it almost amounts to a threat. There is absolutely no place for this sort of sentiment on CR or any list.

PW

Totally agree

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:36 AM »

PW

Totally agree

yeah everyone knows .45 dont have enough DR...
APS-H Fanboy

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
LOL

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2012, 09:23:28 AM »

PW

Totally agree

yeah everyone knows .45 dont have enough DR...
I'm waiting for it to appear on DXOMark before deciding on that...
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2012, 09:23:28 AM »

HarryWintergreen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
The old story: once you happened to get your hands on a 1D you can't help but seeing the sub-1D-bodies as a bit inferior. So keep your fingers away from it - that's at least what I do.  ::)

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »
I think saying the 1DX is worth £3000 more because the ergonomics are better is a bit strong.

You get a lot more with the 1DX in terms of features and the camera is designed for a different situation. You also get used to what you shoot too and in your case stepping from a pro camera to a 5D which is also a pro camera but on the higher scale of pro-sumer rather than pro of corse it will be different. The 1D is also designed specifically with the grip whereas the 5D isnt therfore there is only a finite amount of space on the back with the expectation of huge screens and the grip is an extra which makes things easier, but not fully integrated which makes the ergonomics harder to achieve.

But as it is a pro-sumer camera the size is important the 1D is too heavy and bulky to carry around for the more consumer side of the scale and thats whats nice about the 5D is its smaller size factor.

Its like chalk and cheese. Also depends on what your used to and how big your hands are. Kind of a silly argument really. The 5D is best of both worlds and for 99% of people not worth 50% extra, even for a lot of pros.

Yes but you have to remember, most of the people who bash the 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III don't own and have never owned them.  Also, the people who praise and glorify the 1D X also don't own it.  Amazing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »