July 25, 2014, 04:54:09 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Firmware Version 2 Coming Soon  (Read 50840 times)

KitsVancouver

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Firmware Version 2 Coming Soon
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 12:34:23 PM »
Thank You Canon! 
It's like getting a new camera (almost) for free!
I am so glad that Canon decided to do this, I feel like Canon really did the right thing here.
They could have just as easily left the 7D alone and introduced a newer version (7D MKII) but they invested in their customers and I for one think that was the right thing to do.
 ;D ;D

Don't fool yourself.  I'm saying this a bit tongue-in-cheek, but Canon doesn't do anything for their customers.  None of us will know for sure, but they probably needed some more separation between their low-end cameras and the mid-range 7D so that they can continue to sell some bodies at a higher ASP (average selling price). 

What this tells me is that Canon does in fact hold back features or cripple bodies.  In other words, their product specs are just as much a product of marketing segmentation as it is a limitation of technology.  If the processing power of the 7D is enough to support that much of an increase in buffer, it's more than just an improvement in firmware. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 12:34:23 PM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
AUTO ISO MAXIMUM SETTING Within the EOS 7D’s shooting menu photographers will have the ability to set a maximum ISO speed for ISO Auto, within the ISO range of 400-6400, so that you can minimise the amount of noise in your images.

It's as if my prayers have been answered...  :D

well, since they were at it, they could have gone the full mile ... and added EC in Manual mode with Auto ISO too. 
They again just added the bare minimum. Compared to Nikon's implementation it is still very lame.

Also I am quite surprised to see that RAW buffer can be extended by that much via a simple FW update. It tends to reinforce my strong suspicion, that hardware capabilities were there from the start but intentionally curbed back for the first three years - in order to not compete too much with the 1D III (and later 1D IV).

Other than that, even I am very pleased that Canon for the first time ever brings out a function-enhancing FW update for the 7D. Even though it comes a bit late in the day ... I will gladly install it on my 7D after using it for over 2 and a half years.   :-)

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »
Obviously means no 7DII coming soon.

SUPER happy with new firmware =D
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »

Or it means that the 7DII is going to be way more expensive ($2500) and they are going to keep the 7D in the product line.

daveheinzel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • daveheinzel.com
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
Very happy about manual audio levels and setting a max when using auto ISO. :D

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »
 :)  I am very happy with this firmware update as well
I welcome the  AUTO ISO MAXIMUM SETTING  and  IMPROVED RAW MAXIMUM BURST 
And, SUPPORT FOR THE GP-E2 GPS UNIT is a great addition as well
Well done Canon! :)
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

bloodstupid

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
If they add better AutoISO in the 7D maybe there is hope they will improve it in the 5D III too...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
"IMPROVED RAW MAXIMUM BURST In the EOS 7D the maximum burst of RAW file frames was 15 – with the firmware update this will be significantly increased so that the camera’s buffer will handle up to 26 RAW frames in a continuous burst."

That's quite an improvement, how are they managing to improve this without increasing the amount of RAM in the buffer? Is it more efficient data transfer protocols, or have they found a way to utilise the improved transfer speeds of the latest generation of CF cards?

Tymo93

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »
I want a grip with a joystick for the 7D!!!

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »
I see this as very good news for the future of a 7DII. I seriously doubt Canon would be upgrading the 7D firmware and referring to it as its "flagship APS-C sensor" camera if they were planning to kill it off in a few months.

It also shows a commitment to their flagship model customers that, frankly, I appreciate. Yes, it makes good business sense for them to do this, but as long as I benefit, I'm not complaining.

On the downside, I do wonder if this means no 7DII by Photokina. But, I wouldn't say that for certain. If they continue the tradition of passing down the flagship sensor to lower level models it seems like they'll have to upgrade the sensor soon. Should be an interesting next few months.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »
"IMPROVED RAW MAXIMUM BURST In the EOS 7D the maximum burst of RAW file frames was 15 – with the firmware update this will be significantly increased so that the camera’s buffer will handle up to 26 RAW frames in a continuous burst."

That's quite an improvement, how are they managing to improve this without increasing the amount of RAM in the buffer? Is it more efficient data transfer protocols, or have they found a way to utilise the improved transfer speeds of the latest generation of CF cards?

+1

I don't understand how a jump from 15 to 26 can be done with a firmware update either. Good question.

cycomachead

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »
Wow! This has been my one major complaint with Canon - that they limit firmware only to when it's shipped -aside from bug fixes.

I'd be really happy to see this because it adds two things I've wanted - Auto ISO limit, and file name changing. However, it also leaves off the other one feature I've really wanted: 5 and 7 shot auto bracketing would be excellent, which the 1D series (and now 5D3) have.

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 01:56:16 PM »

Or it means that the 7DII is going to be way more expensive ($2500) and they are going to keep the 7D in the product line.

I don't think the 7D or the 5DII will disappear from the product line/ get discontinued any time soon.
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 01:56:16 PM »

Britman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
I think the burst increase is, as has been said, a feature that being enabled. As for the firmware, it's one of the best, as in features, I've seen Canon release, it now makes me wonder what the 7D2 can gain. As for people thinking FF, the next 7 doesn't need it. All Canon need do is drop the price of the 5D2 so it's the same as the current 7D.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:02:54 PM by Britman »

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »
AUTO ISO MAXIMUM SETTING Within the EOS 7D’s shooting menu photographers will have the ability to set a maximum ISO speed for ISO Auto, within the ISO range of 400-6400, so that you can minimise the amount of noise in your images.

It's as if my prayers have been answered...  :D

Yes, this is the very one feature my 60D has that I was missing on my 7D - yeah.  This also makes me happy I picked up a used 7D instead of waiting for a 7DII because I'm thinking this is going to happen later rather than sooner.  Now if they gave the 60D a firmware update to give it AFMA, I'd be doubly happy.
Diane

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »