October 22, 2014, 09:02:25 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Firmware Version 2 Coming Soon  (Read 53697 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Firmware Version 2 Coming Soon
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
"IMPROVED RAW MAXIMUM BURST In the EOS 7D the maximum burst of RAW file frames was 15 – with the firmware update this will be significantly increased so that the camera’s buffer will handle up to 26 RAW frames in a continuous burst."

That's quite an improvement, how are they managing to improve this without increasing the amount of RAM in the buffer? Is it more efficient data transfer protocols, or have they found a way to utilise the improved transfer speeds of the latest generation of CF cards?

Yeah quite surprising. I guess either:
1. they share buffer chips between many models and it's all marketing that decides how much of the buffer RAM can be used and the limit is set in the software buffer allocation and now they are allowing the hardware it had all along to be fully utilized (in which case so much for all the talk about how buffer ram is so expensive and of course only a pro camera can have a lot)

2. the hardware was fast all along but I believe it came out when UDMA 6 was the best and maybe all it takes is some code to let it talk to UDMA 7 now and maybe the hardware interface between 6 and 7 are the same and all you need is software to properly handshake so long as the hardware is fast enough to handle it? I suppose it certainly could be this option. Although I know nothing about UDAM 6 and 7 and for all I know this suggestion is ridiculous

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:26:41 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »
I just hope it means a 5D3 new firmware that has been rumored is coming too.

They so incredibly badly need to:
1. remove the silly 1/250th limit in AutoISO Av and bump it to a good 1/2000th or allow for EC in AutoISO M or both
2. they have GOT to add focus peaking to the video mode!!!!
3. they really should add zebra stripes for blown exposure to the video mode
4. they really need to add a 1920x1080 2x2 sampled 1.6x cropped video mode and it wouldn't hurt to also add an even more extreme mode (although this latter one would need to have some line skipping compromises of course, the 1.6x would not) although the non-line skipped 1.6x needs to be there regardless
5. let the user have the option for a really high bitrate for video for the IPB mode

after the lukewarm reception it got from the video world they need to make it a solid effort

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
Doesn't sound too exciting, some stuff that magic lantern can do on non-7d bodies - but the good thing is that Canon is updating firmware, even just too to sell their gps units. There doesn't seem to be support for the new radio flashes though.

AUTO ISO MAXIMUM SETTING Within the EOS 7D’s shooting menu photographers will have the ability to set a maximum ISO speed for ISO Auto, within the ISO range of 400-6400, so that you can minimise the amount of noise in your images.
It's as if my prayers have been answered...  :D
Yes, this is the very one feature my 60D has that I was missing on my 7D - yeah.

The 7d didn't have this - ugh! How did you 7d guys use auto iso in the first place until now?

IMPROVED RAW MAXIMUM BURST

They can enable this with a firmware update??? This is embarrassing, please enable afma on my 60d too if you're fixing things that were crippled to make more expensive bodies more attractive!

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
finally sound control.....

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »
I just hope it means a 5D3 new firmware that has been rumored is coming too.

They so incredibly badly need to:
1. remove the silly 1/250th limit in AutoISO Av and bump it to a good 1/2000th or allow for EC in AutoISO M or both
4. they really need to add a 1920x1080 2x2 sampled 1.6x cropped video mode and it wouldn't hurt to also add an even more extreme mode (although this latter one would need to have some line skipping compromises of course, the 1.6x would not) although the non-line skipped 1.6x needs to be there regardless
5. let the user have the option for a really high bitrate for video for the IPB mode

after the lukewarm reception it got from the video world they need to make it a solid effort

And hopefully the Firmware also comes with a 5D3E conversion kit, containing 2500 grit sandpaper to remove the AA filter   
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »

Magic lantern does these on digic4 bodies except the 7d, and probably will do it on the 5d3, too.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2012, 04:41:54 PM »

Magic lantern does these on digic4 bodies except the 7d, and probably will do it on the 5d3, too.

The issue with the 7D was the dual Digic processors, with the 5D3 having a single processor, I have high hopes  :)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2012, 04:41:54 PM »

darth mollusk

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • naturalist²
    • View Profile
    • nature and wildlife photography
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »

Amen.   5 and 7 AEB is one of the most useable day-to-day improvements I have enjoyed with the 5D Mark III.  With the 7D, I need to take 3, then go into menu, shift it all, and take 3 more.  With the 5D Mark III, I can lay a -1 to +1 range on thirds.  Should not require any technology changes - just firmware.

This was certainly one of the upgrades I was hoping for as well (why wouldn't canon do this - it must be a fairly straight forward change?).  There is a relatively effective go around though: pre-set C2 and C3 to the desired brackets, then it's just one click from C2 after your first three shots, to C3 - not perfect, but better than diving back into the menu.
Canon 7Dii • Canon 100L 2.8 • Tokina 11-16 2.8 • Sigma 120-300 2.8 • Canon 17-55 2.8

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »
The issue with the 7D was the dual Digic processors, with the 5D3 having a single processor, I have high hopes  :)

Then think about sponsoring Alex' ml development if you can afford a 5d3...

This was certainly one of the upgrades I was hoping for as well (why wouldn't canon do this - it must be a fairly straight forward change?).

Even if sounding a bit repetitive :-p ... magic lantern does this, too, it even calculates how many brackets you need on the fly - so shoot 10 or more pictures with 0,5 ev steps for exposure fusion, no problem there.

It is sad that manufacturers have to resort to these firmware annoyances to sell their stuff, but for once Nikon isn't any better - e.g. the d7000 only does max. 2ev 3x bracketing which too little in many situations, too.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »

Probably, but it may be a while still and it won't do the cropped video modes I don't think.
Better to just have the camera do it out of the box and not in like 8 months from now.

I should maybe even look to joining in on the work myself, although I really need to get a couple other programs done first, bu tmaybe I can find a little time for some firmware work.

Jason Beiko

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
Its nice to see Canon updating firmware, but for me none of the changes are relevant.  I would have liked them to change the AEB from three to 5. Without this I see no compelling reason to upgrade.

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2012, 05:22:51 PM »
This was certainly one of the upgrades I was hoping for as well (why wouldn't canon do this - it must be a fairly straight forward change?).

-----

Even if sounding a bit repetitive :-p ... magic lantern does this, too, it even calculates how many brackets you need on the fly - so shoot 10 or more pictures with 0,5 ev steps for exposure fusion, no problem there.

Yep, but no Magic Lantern for the 7D as noted above.  The Dual Digics are the complicating factor. 

I suppose that means no Magic Lantern for the 1DX as well - with 2 Digic 5+'s and a Digic 4.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:12:42 PM by Arkarch »
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »
I don't understand how a jump from 15 to 26 can be done with a firmware update either. Good question.

A friend and I brainstormed a few possibilities:
  • They had previously used the available RAM as a simple linear buffer, but changed their algorithm to use it as a circular buffer, allowing more images to be taken after the first was written to the card.
  • There was already a circular buffer, but the write order was optimized.
  • A redundant write verification step may have been disabled.
  • A delay that only became evident when the camera was used with higher-speed cards than were available at launch may have been discovered and eliminated.  (If you need a very fast card to get 26; otherwise, it's not this one.)
  • Someone did something really boneheaded in the original coding and it slowed everything down.

I'd vote for none of the above.

If you read the review at dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/13
"The frame rate is impressive on itself and even more so considering that with a very fast card, such as the Sandisk Extreme Pro, in JPEG format the 7D can maintain this speed indefinitely (well, we gave up after approximately 60 sec or 320 frames) and for 24 frames when shooting RAW."

It might simply be better programming of the IO between the camera and cards.

But if the 7D can already do 24 frames with the right card now, after this new firmware is delivered, will it be higher again if you use the right kind of card?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
Yep, but no Magic Lantern for the 7D as noted above.  The Dual Digics are the complicating factor. 
I suppose that means no Magic Lantern for the 1DX as well - with 2 Digic 5+'s and a Digic 4.

I'm writing this because not everybody reading this thread has to be a current 7d user. As for ml on other bodies, the blocking problem is not that it's impossible, but that no one is actively developing it - ml is basically made by a single person, and he has a sponsored 60d (I contributed, too), a 5d2, maybe now a 5d3. If you want ml on the 7d or 1dx, you simply will have to sponsor (i.e. pay) for it because porting requires more effort than unified ml on digic4 550d->60d->600d->5d2

AlicoatePhotography

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »
Great!?! ...  I just went out and bought a Zoom for audio recording, because the 7D couldn't set the levels.  Looks like I didn't need to do that now.  I was really hoping for them to unlock the native 1080P  where it is effectively zoomed in.  One of the other bodies has that, and I think it would be very cool to gain a lot of focal length(not really focal length)  for free.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »