September 30, 2014, 05:56:54 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Firmware Version 2 Coming Soon  (Read 52908 times)

briansquibb

Re: Canon EOS 7D Firmware Version 2 Coming Soon
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
Quote from: Canon's Marketing Team
"Oh crap, we've got all these old 7D bodies lying around that aren't selling (because of the 5D2 getting cheaper, or the D3200, K5, NEX-7, or whatever), and we need to get rid of them before the 7D mk 2 is announced in a few months".
"I know, let's take the firmware from the new 7D2, it won't cost us anything much to port it to the 7D, demand for the 7D will pick back up again and help us clear stocks before we drop the 7D2."

Or am I too cynical?

::) ::) ::)   ;D ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »

NHUSA

« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »
Does this potential audio update mean that the Audio Gain Control will be eliminated/controlled...meaning that an external microphone would be much more usable/useful?

DB

« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
Nowhere on World Wide Web is there confirmation other than CR that firmware 2.0 for 7D is imminent, not on Canon USA/Europe, nor on CPS or their 'News' archives ??

bry

« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2012, 08:23:40 PM »
This is definitely a step in the right direction from Canon, and even if cynical, it's very welcome.

The Canon 7D is the only Canon DSLR with 2 processors, and still it doesn't do anything that the 550D doesn't do on video mode. There's definitely room for improvement even with just software updates. This an impressive camera hardware wise and if Canon wanted, it could do much more than it does at the moment.

Also, I think this should be the way to go with firmware updates and physical models that last longer, even if we have to pay for the updates, cause it's much more environmental friendly, and people these days spend all the time upgrading for a couple new useless features, and in most cases they don't even ever do anything with the cameras.

Regarding a 7DmkII, do you guys really think that Canon will replace their entire range of DSLRs in the same year? What then, not release anything for another 3 years?

Halocastle

« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
"Oh crap, we've got all these old 7D bodies lying around that aren't selling (because of the 5D2 getting cheaper, or the D3200, K5, NEX-7, or whatever), and we need to get rid of them before the 7D mk 2 is announced in a few months".
"I know, let's take the firmware from the new 7D2, it won't cost us anything much to port it to the 7D, demand for the 7D will pick back up again and help us clear stocks before we drop the 7D2."

Or am I too cynical?

Canon doesn't sell items on consignment and there is no stock.  They take orders from vendors, most of them pre-paid, then they produce the items and ship them off.  Canon doesn't have to get rid of anything.  That's on the vendor and the vendor orders want their customers want regardless of current stock.

Vendors get special pricing that they later mark-up.  This margin allows them to reduce prices when a new model--aah!  Do I actually have to explain this?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »
The Canon 7D is the only Canon DSLR with 2 processors, and still it doesn't do anything that the 550D doesn't do on video mode.

The 1D series has twin processors.  3, if like the 7D you count the AF processor as an independent processor (the lesser EOS cameras like the 5D2, x0D series have one processor for everything)

The 7D does intermediate ISO stops and full 1080 live output over HDMI.

In stills mode the 7D is quite a different beast altogether.

MCP

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2012, 04:33:38 AM »
Nowhere on World Wide Web is there confirmation other than CR that firmware 2.0 for 7D is imminent, not on Canon USA/Europe, nor on CPS or their 'News' archives ??

As stated at the begining of the article, this was briefly present on the cpn-europe website. The home page headline graphic displayed a 7D body and the link went to the firmware description. CR's article is a direct copy of the cpn article, which was displayed with a date of April 2012. How do I know, I saw it too!!! Thinking that a new body was announced and 2 new lenses, maybe there was a firmware update for the 7D with the GPS update and maybe a few extras so I checked the site.

It was only up for about an hour, but non the less, it was a Canon press release. If nothing else, it shows Canons intentions for the 7D. Why it was held back, posted and then removed will be a matter of much speculation! But it was there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2012, 04:33:38 AM »

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2012, 04:58:07 AM »
This is definitely a step in the right direction from Canon, and even if cynical, it's very welcome.

The Canon 7D is the only Canon DSLR with 2 processors, and still it doesn't do anything that the 550D doesn't do on video mode. There's definitely room for improvement even with just software updates. This an impressive camera hardware wise and if Canon wanted, it could do much more than it does at the moment.

Also, I think this should be the way to go with firmware updates and physical models that last longer, even if we have to pay for the updates, cause it's much more environmental friendly, and people these days spend all the time upgrading for a couple new useless features, and in most cases they don't even ever do anything with the cameras.

Regarding a 7DmkII, do you guys really think that Canon will replace their entire range of DSLRs in the same year? What then, not release anything for another 3 years?

I still believe the core reason for the up date is to keep current owners happy and prime them to eagerly await the 7D?? which apparently is still aways off.
Meaning don't go by a Nikon because your 7D is now even more awesome and just think how great the new 7D?? will be!
Its nice but its not ment to be nice - ultimately its an intelligent stall tactic.
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

prsw

« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2012, 05:56:38 AM »
As a new 7D owner and looking for a fast card, should I take this in to consideration and buy
a udma7 card to make full use of the higher burst capabilities?

Or will a cheaper card do?
Thinking about a Lexar Professional 600X 32GB.

surfing_geek

« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2012, 05:58:13 AM »

Or am I too cynical?

i like that kind of cynical.  let's hope it works!

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Thornmill Images
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2012, 07:58:33 AM »
Just wondering...
Is it possible that this firmware update will NOT be released for the 7D and that it was just shown as a teaser of what we can expect from a 7D MKII ?

I wonder, why put it up on a website and then take it off.

These firmware updates items seem to me valid upgrade items for a MKII. That may be announced later this year?

It confuses me as 7D user.
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2012, 08:18:38 AM »

Or am I too cynical?

Canon doesn't sell items on consignment and there is no stock.  They take orders from vendors, most of them pre-paid, then they produce the items and ship them off.  Canon doesn't have to get rid of anything.  That's on the vendor and the vendor orders want their customers want regardless of current stock.

Vendors get special pricing that they later mark-up.  This margin allows them to reduce prices when a new model--aah!  Do I actually have to explain this?

And how do you know this?

cnewley

« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but I have two questions. Has anybody seen rumors about the addition of a histogram during video record with the new firmware? And will this update give the Magic Lantern guys a key that they had been looking for to hack the 7D? Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »
Thank you Canon for the firmware upgrade!   I'm most excited about the auto ISO limits and the increased burst rate.

For me this has been one of the more interesting announcements and discussions.   I think Canon is taking a fair risk to release such a bold firmware upgrade to a body which has been around this long.  And most risky, it may (if not already) open a can of worms of "what else can be enabled."  This certainly proves what many of us have always believed and that is how features and technology are, (and can be) available yet held back for reasons we can only speculate--anyone who has rooted a cell phone can relate.

I must admit the increased burst rate does bug me.   Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the increase, but this is clearly a case of crippling a piece of hardware.   Whereas all the other features are new and required someone to sit down and write the code.

I have no idea how often Canon monitors sites like this but I can't help believe they will more closely watch customer's reaction to this new firmware upgrade.  Will it mostly be perceived as a positive "thank you Canon" upgrade or will it open a of storm of speculation and requests for other things to be enabled and turned on for all bodies?

I don't think anyone is going to forget this upgrade for a long time.

briansquibb

« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2012, 03:05:46 PM »

I must admit the increased burst rate does bug me.   Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the increase, but this is clearly a case of crippling a piece of hardware.   Whereas all the other features are new and required someone to sit down and write the code.

I think 'crippling' is rather strong. 'Conservative limitations' might be a better way of putting it. Just imagine 4 years ago if they had said it could write 20 RAW in a burst, and as the CF cards were too slow it only achieved 15 - that would have raised a class action and a long and loud reaction.

Canon have taken into account the latest CF card technology and updated the firmware to take advantage of it.

I say 'Well done Canon for designing a product that can move with the time'

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2012, 03:05:46 PM »