Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

T2i vs T4i for sports

(1/3) > >>

brianftpc:
I have a friend that wants to buy my T2i bc I am upgrading to a 1D-X when it finally comes out. I see that the T4i has just been released and I dont want to sell her my camera if the T4i will actually b better for low light in an area such as a basketball gym. I also see that the T4i has continuous auto focus for video which would b a plus for her as well. Is the T4i worth getting over the T2i for image quality in a low light sports environment? The camera will b for personal use for family members that are playing and does not have to b of professional quality.

TheFarmer:
The T4i high ISO images that have been posted around the web looks promising. So it could be better in low light, but who knows until the units are actually reviewed and compared.

neuroanatomist:
Image quality seems unlikely to be significantly different between the two. The AF system of the T4i is a step up, but in low light, performance will only be slightly better.  AF during video may be the deciding factor.

DB:
There is a huge price differential between the T2i and the T3i, so presumably there will be a big step up again (probably +$150 more) for the T4i. Sounds silly, but is price a factor, just thinking of saving cash to pay for better lenses.

Here's my thinking, the improved continuous AF works best with the new STM lenses, now the 40mm pancake is inexpensive, however the 18-135 will be around $600 (more than a new T2i costs). Really what I'm saying is the following:

Old T2i + new lens  Vs T4i body

imkev:

--- Quote from: DB on June 08, 2012, 10:40:15 PM ---
Here's my thinking, the improved continuous AF works best with the new STM lenses

I think for video it actually ONLY works with the STM lenses. If that is the case then no thanks. I agree, you have to pick between the T2i with a lens or 2 or just get the T4i body only for about the same cost. T2i is less than $500.00 refurb for the body or $560.00 with the kit lens from Canon.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version