August 27, 2014, 07:02:13 PM

Author Topic: Post Your 5D Mark III Bird shots (cropped or uncropped) here  (Read 17202 times)

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
Re: Post Your 5D Mark III Bird shots (cropped or uncropped) here
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 11:18:58 PM »
One thing I have noticed though, is how important using the right AF scenario is, otherwise it is just as twitchy as the 7D. In short, the AF on the MkIII is a revelation, I even focused on a roosting treecreeper by torchlight, while juggling a flash on a cord in the other hand.

yes, I could not agree more.  Which AF settings are you choosing for birds?  I'm typically on AF Expansion or Zone AF.  Ai Servo of course but I've noted changing the Servo settings depending on the scenario may offer even a better hit rate such as for Hummingbirds.  There's one there that offers something like "objects that change speed".  if in flight, I like to do a +1 on the EV to separate the bird form the bright skyline and avoid shadow recovery needs as the 5D has a bit of lo DNR noise.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

Slashp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
A few others of humminbirds (these are crops) taken with the 5DIII and 135L at f2.8

John
5D Mark III, 24-105L, 135L, 85 1.8, Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6

JohnJ851

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
Here is one from my kayak with 5D III and 400 5.6.
JohnJ

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
Manasquan Reservoir Howell, NJ - Male Adult Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle - Manasquan Reservoir by Revup67, on Flickr
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 06:23:44 AM »
Hi, this is not as spectacular as most (or I should say all) of the images here. This hawk was in the tree and gave out a shriek when I was in the house. I took the camera and started looking for it. He was silent for about 10 minutes and then I saw a rustling in the leaves. It took me another ten minutes to find a possible shot as he kept moving around the branch. Eventually when I tried to shoot, AF was no good. Too many branches in the line of sight! :(. So I tried MF. That did not work too well. Eventually he climbed a bit higher on the branch and I could get a decentish shot. Again AF did not work too well so I had to do a number of attempts before I got 2 shots off. This is the better shot. There was no other angle that I could have taken it at.

So question to the Gurus:
When the bird is in the bush (so to speak) and there are some branches/twigs in the line of sight, is there any other technique that I should be employing?

The shot was done on manual mode with auto ISO. 1/400, f8, ISO 2500 spot metering.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9858/rpt6889.jpg

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Ruby Crowned Kinglet (Female) by Revup67, on Flickr
Thanks
Rev

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
Thanks
Rev

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »
One thing I have noticed though, is how important using the right AF scenario is, otherwise it is just as twitchy as the 7D. In short, the AF on the MkIII is a revelation, I even focused on a roosting treecreeper by torchlight, while juggling a flash on a cord in the other hand.

yes, I could not agree more.  Which AF settings are you choosing for birds?  I'm typically on AF Expansion or Zone AF.  Ai Servo of course but I've noted changing the Servo settings depending on the scenario may offer even a better hit rate such as for Hummingbirds.  There's one there that offers something like "objects that change speed".  if in flight, I like to do a +1 on the EV to separate the bird form the bright skyline and avoid shadow recovery needs as the 5D has a bit of lo DNR noise.
Sorry, I missed your reply Rev. It's something I'm still experimenting with, but depending on the bird, I'm leaning towards cases 4 and 5 (if I remember the order right). One of them is the changing speed and one is for erratic movement. In the past, I used spot a lot of the time, but the MkIII seems to be much more accurate than the 7D with the wider selections, so I use spot AF less often and for BiF, I am leaning towards points expansion and am finding that zone works well too. I tend to shoot to the right anyway, so tend towards slight overexposure.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Lnguyen1203

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
Reddish Egret, Galveston, TX, Canon 5D3, 70-300L, f8, ISO 1000, 1/1250 @ 300mm, cropped to 2256X1504 pixels
1DX, 5D3, T3i, 500f4 II, 70-300L, 16-35L, 1.4x II, 2x III TCs

mr few shots

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • fera visum photographic
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
first post on forum but an avid follower, have picked up some great tips and advice as well as some amusement. love the heron and squirrel shots very unusual.
I cannot rave enough about the 5d III it was a carefully considered upgrade from the 5D Classic which I felt was an amazing camera capable of producing superb images when I did my part. The biggest drawback of the 5DC camera for me was the AF for moving subjects such as BIF but then it was in truth a studio / landscape camera if I was honest. great macro capability with the DLA factor though.
I don't necessarily think the images I take with the 5d III are a massive step up from the 5DC (although I feel they are better) when I get it right but it certainly makes getting the images a lot easier with the AF and menu systems / functions. I got the 5d III fairly soon after it came out and as a result paid £500 more than what I could get it for now.  Regrets.....hell no I just think of the enjoyment I have had learning about it and using it in the last 6 months.
I will attempt to post a link to my flickr page of a Robin taken with it. The DOF is probably a bit shallow but you take the moments you get!! :) :) :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoye_robert/8180129723/#

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
RPT: 
When the bird is in the bush (so to speak) and there are some branches/twigs in the line of sight, is there any other technique that I should be employing?

I might take the camera off AI Servo (presuming this is where you had it) for one and put it on One Shot, then perhaps not Spot AF (see page 75 manual where it states focusing may be difficuclt during hand holding).  Sounds like you may have the camera on an AF setting that was not optimum for that moment in time and that the camera needed this additional direction.  I would suggest either Single Point AF then navigate the square to the point you want to focus or recompose (not recommended) or you can try AF Point Expansion
Thanks
Rev

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
Lnguyen - excellent portrait especially with the super nice bokeh effect.  Not sure if you are seeing this on your end but the pic seems a bit noisy possibly due to its size (pixels) or did you apply sharpening? May have too much perhaps.
Thanks
Rev

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »
Hi MrfewShots..the DOF on that bird pic works especially due to the size of the bird and also you nailed the focus on its eye.

I'm not convinced that is a robin however..seems more like a Thrush of some sort.  Check out this site http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/212/_/American_Robin.aspx.  You can use the Search wizard for a positive ID or post into the forum.  I've used that forum and the responses are usually very quick and spot on.

If it helps any and you want to post a photo here from Flickr, Choose Share then select BBCODE and try Large.  Copy and paste the entire set of code into a reply.  This may help you vs. a link..all the best !
Thanks
Rev

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »
RPT: 

I might take the camera off AI Servo (presuming this is where you had it) for one and put it on One Shot, then perhaps not Spot AF (see page 75 manual where it states focusing may be difficuclt during hand holding).  Sounds like you may have the camera on an AF setting that was not optimum for that moment in time and that the camera needed this additional direction.  I would suggest either Single Point AF then navigate the square to the point you want to focus or recompose (not recommended) or you can try AF Point Expansion
It was on One Shot. Notice the area near the eyes - where I wanted to focus has twigs and leaves close by. It was impossible to focus there. So I tried the belly near the lifted leg but even there, the surrounding leaves and twigs were confusing the camera :(
So finally in frustration, I went to MF. I remember neuro mentioning that the AF area is bigger than the black square shown in the viewfinder. There is a spot metering. I wish there was a spot focus :)

Thanks.

mr few shots

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • fera visum photographic
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »
Hi Rev

Thanks for the tips and your right about the eye helping with the DOF I always try and focus on the eye when possible
It is a British / European Robin which I guess differ from the American one
I will have to try that 'share' method thanks