October 23, 2014, 04:47:51 PM

Author Topic: Pancakes in the UK  (Read 2523 times)

untitled10

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Pancakes in the UK
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:54:55 AM »
The 40mm 2.8 stm seems to be costing £220 in the uk, thats $300!

Anyone know why this is?

canon rumors FORUM

Pancakes in the UK
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:54:55 AM »

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Pancakes in the UK
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 06:22:55 AM »
Same reason that Jeans are cheaper in the US than the UK.

Nassen0f

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:49:06 AM »
Yeah i just got confirmation from my local store that MSRP for the Netherlands is 279 euro. Thats insane!

Even with shipping and tax and import i can still get one from the US for 228 euro! Who smoked something at Canon EU?!

paul13walnut5

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
Because we keep on paying it.

My last 3 bodies have been grey, my last expensive canon lens was grey, anything else I've bought off brand or used.

Canon are taking the mickey.

The 40mm may well have been worth £229 to me, but it rankles a bit that it's worth only £129 to an american.

As much as I hoped for such a lens, I won't be buying it.   Unless I get it grey.

If the retailers won't stick up for you (jacobs on sticky wicket, jessops indebited to tune of £10m to Canon) then stick up for yourself.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:33:06 AM »
Why did I expect to see stacks of flapjacks with fried mars bars on them? :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

kalmiya

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
Yeah i just got confirmation from my local store that MSRP for the Netherlands is 279 euro. Thats insane!

Even with shipping and tax and import i can still get one from the US for 228 euro! Who smoked something at Canon EU?!

Maybe germany is an alternative, you can check with www.idealo.de (price meta-search engine) and it gives the cheapest price...

Comes to 235 excl shipping

AdamJ

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »
Because we keep on paying it.

My last 3 bodies have been grey, my last expensive canon lens was grey, anything else I've bought off brand or used.

Canon are taking the mickey.

The 40mm may well have been worth £229 to me, but it rankles a bit that it's worth only £129 to an american.

As much as I hoped for such a lens, I won't be buying it.   Unless I get it grey.

If the retailers won't stick up for you (jacobs on sticky wicket, jessops indebited to tune of £10m to Canon) then stick up for yourself.

+1.

The only things I prefer not to buy grey are products with a relatively high failure rate like third party lenses (Sigma UK's three year warranty is worth having, though still inferior to the warranty period in other countries) and any flashgun.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »

FarQinell

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »
The 40mm 2.8 stm seems to be costing £220 in the uk, thats $300!

Anyone know why this is?

Partly due to much lower sales tax in the US.

UK VAT (ie Sales Tax) is 20%.

Also if Canon overseas sales are priced in USD they may require further cushion if GBP falls vs USD - significant falls could happen in the current financial climate.

Anyway price differential still looks excessive!

Try say New York shop to see whether they will sell you one without local sales tax (because its an export).

Airmail would cost very little for such a tiny lens. Then add import duty and customs charges on the UK side - then VAT on everything so far. Could save a bit! Only worth it if lens has an international warranty.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:17:27 PM by FarQinell »

articulatedjunction

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
My guess is there is another factor: the high yen.

The yen is so high that Japanese mfrs are not making much money in the States.  They need to keep prices near where they used to be, but margins are cut.  That leaves them trying to make money anywhere else they can.

Anyway, I live in the UK and you can't just do the exchange rate to figure out how much things cost.  Things are more expensive here - that's how it is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »