September 17, 2014, 05:48:29 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Availability [CR3]  (Read 14219 times)

Joe J

Re: Canon EOS-1D X Availability [CR3]
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
I think you have to take into account we are nearing the physical limits of sensor performance in their current form.

From the 1Ds3 it's been 5 years to reach the 1Dx so there has to of been a reason for that. It won't of been for a lack of R&D funding, it would of been due to limits in technology. So what do they release as an upgrade to a 1Dx? Which for all intents and purposes is as perfect a camera with all the extras you could want.

How can they improve it? This will be what keeps an updated version from appearing so I stick by at least 4 years.

+1 What do people expect of the cycle of flagship camera improvements? These aren't minor tweaks to a Rebel.  While I think Canon severely dropped the ball with the 1D MKIII/ 1D MKIV (both were severely flawed and/or lacked significant improvements), and lagged with a successor to the 1DS MKIII, I don't think the camera technology has improved that significantly since even the 1D MKII/ 1DS MKII releases, until the 1DX. That camera looks to answer all the flaws in previous models, minus flash sync speed. It's finally a worthy upgrade from even the MKII series cameras, and those are over 8 years old.
   If someone can't use say a 1DS MKII satisfactorily, and feels need to buy every new release that hits the shelves, they may need to re-evaluate their photographic abilities.  A camera company's current technology shouldn't dictate the quality of one's photos, the person behind it should.   
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:12:01 PM by Joe J »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »

Joe J

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »

So 2 and a half years and 3 years respectively. If this is going to be Canon's one and only top Pro body I cant believe they will wait 4 years to refresh it, that's an age in product turnover particularly in the electronics industry.

In fact 9 months could be an age too! ;-)
So if they don't release the 1D X soon, they will need to release the next generation in a short time. Finally, the competitors will not wait to take the next step.

With all due respect, what are you talking about? Please refer to the timelines of both Canon's and Nikon's flagship camera releases for time period it takes for updating those cameras. It's getting more and more spaced out, not less.

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »
...Retailers have to prove the people buying the camera are CPS members, and have prepaid for the camera. If the camera is needed for the Olympics, it appears you’re moved to the front of the line...

I know this is still a rumour, but I was just wondering why Olympic photographers should be given a "higher" status than another pro who is working in rural Africa?? What makes the one's job more important than the other?

Publicity... Canon has lost a LOT of face value with the delay of the 1 DX and they want to make up for it with a presence at the Olympics. I feel strongly about this that if it does happen that people suddenly get preference because their job is more important than another job - Canon should be taken on about this.

mrcrsr

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »
I bet the 1DX MK II comes out before the 1DX...

(...a still waiting customer...)

Bombsight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
When Nikon has already come out with a software update for both the D4 & D800, I think Canon should discount the "witheld" 1DX.

Especially when Nikon owners have enough time to notify the manufacturers of faults & have that manufacturer respond with a solution. .... all the while Canon customers are still left in the dark as to their loyalty of 1DX pre-orders! >:(

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »

I know this is still a rumour, but I was just wondering why Olympic photographers should be given a "higher" status than another pro who is working in rural Africa?? What makes the one's job more important than the other?

Visibility.  Unfortunately, it comes down to visibility for them, not for us!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »

+1  In my case I was too quick to sale my 5D mkII so until the 1DX arrives to me I am actually shooting with the dark side ......... :-)
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »

+1  In my case I was too quick to sale my 5D mkII so until the 1DX arrives to me I am actually shooting with the dark side ......... :-)

are u using a Nik___????

:o :o :o :o :o :o
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

gary samples

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »
Dear Gary Samples:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding the EOS-1D X.  We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
I do understand your frustration in the delay of the camera coming to market.

To be clear, we have produced the camera in limited quantities. You can see a short video shot with it by Tyler Stableford, one of our Explorers of Light.

We have not been able to produce the camera in larger quantities as quickly as we had anticipated, but keep in mind that this is our flagship camera, and so it is a little more sophisticated than other cameras in our lineup.

We have not issued any specific explanations about the delay in the camera's mass distribution, but it is not unusual for initial projections of a new product to vary slightly from the actual delivery date. On behalf of Canon I would like to apologize about the delay.

I know that it is disappointing when a camera is not available as early as we had hoped, and I wish I had more information to provide, but all I can tell you at this point is that we are doing our best to make the camera widely available as soon as possible.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about the camera equipment that we offer. Thank you for contacting Canon.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »

are u using a Nik___????

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Yes I have a D4 actually.  Looking forward to comparing to my upcoming 1DX...

briansquibb

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
I think you have to take into account we are nearing the physical limits of sensor performance in their current form.

From the 1Ds3 it's been 5 years to reach the 1Dx so there has to of been a reason for that. It won't of been for a lack of R&D funding, it would of been due to limits in technology. So what do they release as an upgrade to a 1Dx? Which for all intents and purposes is as perfect a camera with all the extras you could want.

How can they improve it? This will be what keeps an updated version from appearing so I stick by at least 4 years.

Personally I dont buy the story that the 1D4 and 1DS3 lines have been merged into the 1DX.

1D4 ==> 1DX , yes
1DS3 ==> 1DX, no

If the 1DX had been 22mp then that would have been logical (and good)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 06:47:54 PM »

Personally I dont buy the story that the 1D4 and 1DS3 lines have been merged into the 1DX.

1D4 ==> 1DX , yes
1DS3 ==> 1DX, no

Given the recent success of Nikon with the D800 and after trying it myself, I think Canon will readjust its strategy.  I high  MP camera in a 1 series body seem more probable now...

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=10288"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=10288" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=10288"></a></div>
<strong>Coming in July…. sort of<br />

</strong>Canon Canada has started to confirm the preorder lists from retailers for the EOS-1D X. Retailers have to prove the people buying the camera are CPS members, and have prepaid for the camera. If the camera is needed for the Olympics, it appears you’re moved to the front of the line. I don’t know if any other countries are going to experience the same limitations with the initial shipment of cameras.</p>
<p>Canon Canada expects a very small number of cameras in July, and that should be the same across the globe.</p>
<p>It still looks like August, and more likely September, is when we’ll see larger quantities of the 1D X.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I was called by my Canadian dealer to ask me those questions.  does not look good for me since I am not a CPS member and I am not going to the Olympics! 

:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »

1D4 ==> 1DX , yes
1DS3 ==> 1DX, no

Given the recent success of Nikon with the D800 and after trying it myself, I think Canon will readjust its strategy.  I high  MP camera in a 1 series body seem more probable now...

I hope you are right  ;D ;D ;D

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »
Suppose the 1DX had been 22mp.  I bet the price would have been around $8000 like the 1Ds Mark III was back in 2007 when it came out.  However, if it were more of a cross between 1D4 and 1Ds III, you bet I'd be one of those suckers buying it.  As a disclaimer I don't think there is anything wrong with the 1D X specs.  I will likely buy one once I see how other people respond.  Right now I just feel my current two models are more than suiting my needs.  I am looking forward to the feedback once people start shooting with it.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »