December 20, 2014, 10:31:11 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Availability [CR3]  (Read 15129 times)

pzyber

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
    • Photographer Jimmy Nordström
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Availability [CR3]
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
Roel Lammers said in a Swedish interview that they will start to deliver 1D X in Sweden in the middle of this month but in small quantities compared to the backorder. The new 24-70 will start being delivered in the middle of July he said.

At the end of the video in this link: http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/webb-tv-canon-eos-650d.htm (Swedish)
5DMK3 | 7D | 2x40D | 400D | 16-35/2,8L II | 50/1,4 | 85/1,8 | 70-200/4L | 200/2,8L | 400/5,6L | 18-55 II | 55-200 II | S10-20/4-5,6 | S18-50/2,8 | S30/1,4
http://www.jimmynordstrom.se/
https://www.facebook.com/PhotographerJimmyNordstrom/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »

emilio_n

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 05:22:27 PM »
Totalmente de acuerdo, no le hagas caso, generalmente son puro bla bla y cuando se trata de hacer fotos no tienen idea. De donde sos Emilio?

Soy de Madrid, España. ;-)

I thought to wait also... The possible Canon 3D about talked on canon rumors last days sound great, but I think that will be impossible that is releases on July that is the date that I will be in Hong Kong. (Also I think that will be impossible find a 1D X on this time :-) )

Anyway.... Nico o other in the forum, could give me an advice about if is better invest on a Canon 5D Mark III and maybe the 70-200mm 2.8 L II or buy the Canon 1D X for my needs?
NOw I have only the 24-105L and to primes lens (50 and 85)

Thanks!

emilio_n

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
Back again to the topic, a lot of things are strange about the Canon 1D X...
Too much delay looks like Canon have a very big problem with this model. I see a unit of the 1D X two month ago in a a Canon Masterclass. I suppose that was a pre-production model, but in the workshop made incredible pictures. With the Eurocup started and the olympic games in the next month is strange that Canon didn't ship the camera with enough time. I think people with no too much Canon gear will think seriously to move to Nikon. Present a model in October and not release yet 9 months after is at least a little bit strange...

Don't think so?

DB

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
Agree, I get really hacked off by guys on forums who feel the need to answer a question with a real smart ass answer. If you can't answer respectfully don't answer at all. People come on forums looking for advice not to be belittled for lack of knowledge. That said this forum is normally pretty good, Mac forums on the other hand......

To be honest I'm in a similar position in that I can afford the 1Dx but have been waiting on the 5Diii for months and months like a lot of people. It wasn't until I held the 1Dx at Focus in the UK in March that I thought, I'll max out and get that instead. However I am now somewhat concerned that the camera is going to hit the streets almost a year after it was announced, that's a heck of along time in development terms and you have to wonder how long it will be before a mark ii of this camera is announced given the amount of delay there's been. No way will Canon say well we will add a year on because of the year it took us to get it to market. I could be wrong but I think Canon have shot themselves in the foot here. I'm now not sure I want to invest in a camera that may have a relatively short shelf life. Off to see if I can find a 5Diii now.....

First point well said, I come to CR to learn a few new things, not for glib replies.

Your main point about 1DX delays intrigues me, because it must be unique in the field of consumer electronics, can you image Apple announcing an iPad3 and have purchasers camped outside their stores for months? or Intel announcing a 6-core processor, but shipping quad-core with a promise to return & replace once the new chips were ready? It begs the question why would a major manufacturer (like Canon) announce a product that was not yet ready or fully tested, they don't do this with their Printers, or Photocopiers, so why do they do it with DSLRs?

The more I read on CR, the more I believe that Canon is just interested in mass-market volume products like the T4i and the flagship of the range is a burdensome nuisance around their neck that they have to (a) get it out the door but (b) not screw up so as to cause reputational damage. Canon could easily sell 1,000,000 Rebel T4i/650D/Kiss X6s worldwide, they will sell perhaps 10,000 1DX's (5,000 Pros + 5,000 Amateur enthusiasts). Let's say they make $300 profit on each T4i (about 30-40% margin) and they make $2,000 profit on each 1DX, that means they'll clear $20 million profit (I know this is crude, but it is to prove a point) on the flagship DSLR, but 15 times that or $300 million on the new Rebel. Therein lies your answer, unpalatable as it may seem.

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »
However I am now somewhat concerned that the camera is going to hit the streets almost a year after it was announced, that's a heck of along time in development terms and you have to wonder how long it will be before a mark ii of this camera is announced given the amount of delay there's been.

Another 4 years.

I'd like to think you are right but I really have my doubts given previous release dates/announcements of the 1Ds and 1D (dates taken from DP Review);

1D Mark III Feb 2007
1D Mark IV Oct 2009

1Ds Mark II Sept 2004
1Ds Mark III Aug 2007

So 2 and a half years and 3 years respectively. If this is going to be Canon's one and only top Pro body I cant believe they will wait 4 years to refresh it, that's an age in product turnover particularly in the electronics industry.

Anyway here is us having a difference of opinion on a camera that's maybe not even been thought of yet! I just wish Canon would treat their customers with some respect in so much as tell us when it will be available, I wrote to someone at Canon Europe over a week ago expressing disappointment, needless to say and as I expected I have not received a reply.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

emilio_n

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »

So 2 and a half years and 3 years respectively. If this is going to be Canon's one and only top Pro body I cant believe they will wait 4 years to refresh it, that's an age in product turnover particularly in the electronics industry.

In fact 9 months could be an age too! ;-)
So if they don't release the 1D X soon, they will need to release the next generation in a short time. Finally, the competitors will not wait to take the next step.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »
Let's just call it October and make it an even year since the original announcement of the camera.  One full trip around the sun.

Maybe that's their marketing gimmick?
Since announcement, they've had a 1DX sitting on a tripod pointing at the sun, with an AC adapter and TC80N3, tethered to an external drive (wifi, whatever). Take 1 photo every two minutes for a year, that's 262,800 photos. Merge it into a movie at 50fps, that's an 87-minute-long movie. Would make for an interesting advertisement, if nothing else. They can title it, "A year in the life of a camera that didn't exist yet"  ::)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »
Can someone please remind me - what was the hold up?

Same old story -- constipation!

Someone needs to get out the old enema bag.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

Virgil Quick

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »
I really believe that we all have been most patient but these delays are getting past the point of being frustrating.  To those of us who are loyal to Canon and spend thousands of dollars to buy their equipment I believe the Company owes an explanation, an apology and a definite delivery schedule.

Canon, if you are listening, you have a PR problem that can be addressed with some straight forward communication!

SuperCrazySamurai

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »

I wonder what "very small number of cameras" really means? are they saying single digits or double digits :) lol.   

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 01:56:09 AM »
I think you have to take into account we are nearing the physical limits of sensor performance in their current form.

From the 1Ds3 it's been 5 years to reach the 1Dx so there has to of been a reason for that. It won't of been for a lack of R&D funding, it would of been due to limits in technology. So what do they release as an upgrade to a 1Dx? Which for all intents and purposes is as perfect a camera with all the extras you could want.

How can they improve it? This will be what keeps an updated version from appearing so I stick by at least 4 years.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

emilio_n

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 05:34:52 AM »
So unless you have a really good reason to spend 3000$ more - like you really need that one extra stop of low light performance, the somewhat better metering or focusing system, or because you're a professional and you need the extra actuations is able to do in it's life time - if you need any of those and it's worth carrying all the extra weight around for and pay an extra 3000$ for, then it's pretty much obvious to you already that you need it.

If on the other hand you're not certain you need any of those & if 3000$ and extra weight is worth those features for you, then the Mark III is an *amazing* camera and a really great option.

Anyhow, thought that's what I said in the original reply as well - though admittedly perhaps with to much brevity
This is the key. I know that the 5D Mark III is a very good choice and for sure covers all my needs, but if the focusing and metering system are really improved on the 1D X and the high ISO really let me work with one or two stops less, then I really want to go to the 1D X. My question was because I am not sure that the improvements will be really big enough to pay 3000$ more.
In any case, I think that we will have an answer only when the 1D X arrive to the market and we can check both production models with a real and depth tests.
This is the reason because your first answer didn't help me too much. I know the differences in the paper, and don't let me decide which is the best choice for me.

You can check in any case the kind of work that I do in order to know my needs. www.emilionavas.com
Your answer was a little bit rush, but thank you in any case . I think all of us are here to learn a little bit more for the others.

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 06:35:16 AM »
I wonder what "very small number of cameras" really means? are they saying single digits or double digits :) lol.

I believe somewhere between 1000 and 2000 is a good number to start with, as they stated there'll be 7000 of them produced per month when the production cycle starts.
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 06:35:16 AM »

aldvan

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »
I'm just coming back from Japan. At Yodobashi Camera there were many 5D MkIII in live exposition and an empty space with a hand written note with 1Dx specs stating that it is expected for 2012_06. We are on June 10th, so they have just twenty days left... :-)
By the way, I was amazed to see that Canon prices in Japan are so expensive, also compared  to my awareness of it. They still had many 1Ds MkIII on exhibit at around 700,000 yen...
With my 1Ds MkIII + 100+400 hanging on my neck, I realized I was going around sporting a lot of money! Yodobashi was letting me not to feel too Jurassic... :-)

Joe J

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
I really believe that we all have been most patient but these delays are getting past the point of being frustrating.  To those of us who are loyal to Canon and spend thousands of dollars to buy their equipment I believe the Company owes an explanation, an apology and a definite delivery schedule.

Canon, if you are listening, you have a PR problem that can be addressed with some straight forward communication!

How about a nice 30% discount to all those who pre-booked one three months ago?  That would be the most rewarding "apology" Canon can give to all the Canon loyalists who haven't canceled their order yet.  ;D

Canon, are you listening?  There are a lot of unhappy 1DX pre-orderers out there. Man up to your mistake and give a little back to the people who stuck through your mess of announcing a camera too soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »