July 30, 2014, 09:23:59 AM

Author Topic: Examples of DR photos and why this is important to landscape shooters  (Read 17878 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Examples of DR photos and why this is important to landscape shooters
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2012, 07:03:02 PM »
I guess I still can't grasp what this thread is about.  Do you mean that the 5D Mark III's DR is worse than the D800, relatively speaking, OR, that in general, the DR with the 5D Mark III is bad?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2012, 07:03:02 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »
i think the OP wanted to see images indicating example of what all the drama is about relaing to DxO numbers

since this thread has hit 7 pages and no images have come forth it kind of proves what a non event the whole issue is :D
APS-H Fanboy

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
i think the OP wanted to see images indicating example of what all the drama is about relaing to DxO numbers

since this thread has hit 7 pages and no images have come forth it kind of proves what a non event the whole issue is :D

8)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »
Okay doke.  Here are two shots demonstrating decent dynamic range.  Both were shot with the 5D Mark II.  Both were shot in the morning.  The landscape shot was taken at 5am, and the monument shot was taken at 8am.  At 12pm, both shots would be near impossible without HDR and/or a 3-stop ND grad because the shots would be approximately 3 stops short of what the 5D Mark III could handle.  The Nikon has 2 stops (or more) of usable latitude, which would make the shots easier to handle (if shot later, when the latitude of the scene extends beyond what the camera can handle).

According to whom?

No electronic enhancements: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/19
Tom

briansquibb

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
Okay doke.  Here are two shots demonstrating decent dynamic range.  Both were shot with the 5D Mark II.  Both were shot in the morning.  The landscape shot was taken at 5am, and the monument shot was taken at 8am.  At 12pm, both shots would be near impossible without HDR and/or a 3-stop ND grad because the shots would be approximately 3 stops short of what the 5D Mark III could handle.  The Nikon has 2 stops (or more) of usable latitude, which would make the shots easier to handle (if shot later, when the latitude of the scene extends beyond what the camera can handle).

First image is perfect for HDR

Second image is perfect for flash

There a few occasions where there is too much light for iso50, f/16, 1/8000

briansquibb

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »
First image is perfect for HDR
Second image is perfect for flash
Neither is clipped.

HDR increases the DR o the image
Flash reduces the DR requirement by reducing the shadowss

This was taken on a sunny summer day using a lot of flash to overcome the sun
1DS3, iso 50, 1/2000, f/2.8

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »

I am OP (and posted one landscape shot)

You hit the nail on the head. I don't own any ND filters, just the 5d2, 17-40L, and some UVs and cir polarizers. I need to invest in some ND grad filters and practice, practice, practice.

I agree there are too many chiefs and not enough indians on these forums. No offense to Native Americans. I wanted to see examples of shots that could benefit from better DR, or that demonstrated what DR could do. I guess my strategy got thrown out the window. Or did it get vomited into 8 pages? You be the judge...
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
I agree there are too many chiefs and not enough indians on these forums. No offense to Native Americans. I wanted to see examples of shots that could benefit from better DR, or that demonstrated what DR could do. I guess my strategy got thrown out the window. Or did it get vomited into 8 pages? You be the judge...

I think you find that my last picture would have needed more DR due to the very bright contrast. My picture demonstrates how to avoid needing a much higher DR sensor

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »