September 20, 2014, 08:29:44 AM

Author Topic: 5DMk3 at wedding receptions  (Read 6312 times)

mccallew

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Site
5DMk3 at wedding receptions
« on: June 10, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
So, I get that that Mk3 AF is very advanced vs. the Mk2, etc... what I am finding, however, is that during low light wedding receptions (dancing) the AF takes a second or so longer to lock on that the Mk2 or Mk1 did. I've changed the settings to release priority vs. focus priority so I can at least get the shot even if focus is not locked, but I am somewhat stunned that this advanced AF takes so long to lock in these reception situations. First, I am wondering if there is a setting I am missing, and also is anyone else seeing this? My second shooter and I are both having the "problem", so I thought I would ask. Thanks all!

canon rumors FORUM

5DMk3 at wedding receptions
« on: June 10, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5DMk3 at wedding receptions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »
So, I get that that Mk3 AF is very advanced vs. the Mk2, etc... what I am finding, however, is that during low light wedding receptions (dancing) the AF takes a second or so longer to lock on that the Mk2 or Mk1 did. I've changed the settings to release priority vs. focus priority so I can at least get the shot even if focus is not locked, but I am somewhat stunned that this advanced AF takes so long to lock in these reception situations. First, I am wondering if there is a setting I am missing, and also is anyone else seeing this? My second shooter and I are both having the "problem", so I thought I would ask. Thanks all!

Yes i have found while it will actually achieve lock in lower light than the mk2 it struggles and takes too long in really low light

so far the best solution i have found is using my yongnuo ST-E2 copy for AF assist
withsome slight movement of the head you can align the beams to the AF points, i have tested
and found the following AF points benefit from this
the main problem is that it wont fire the flash :(
 well the flash will fire but its out of sync

APS-H Fanboy

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »
I've noticed a slight delay in the 5D3 AF in low light, but I - for one - appreciate it.  Why?  It seems that the AF lock on the 5D3 is actually real, and my percentage of tack-sharp photos has increased as a result.  On the flip side, the 5D2 would indicate a "lock" in similar low-light settings, but the results would be all over the place - with many missed-focus junk shots that got deleted anyway.

So what would you rather have -- a captured moment that's a foot or two outside the plane of focus?  or a tack sharp image a split second too late?

I'll take tack sharp over a fuzzy mess any day.

That's just my $0.02.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:24:44 AM »
I've noticed a slight delay in the 5D3 AF in low light, but I - for one - appreciate it.  Why?  It seems that the AF lock on the 5D3 is actually real, and my percentage of tack-sharp photos has increased as a result.  On the flip side, the 5D2 would indicate a "lock" in similar low-light settings, but the results would be all over the place - with many missed-focus junk shots that got deleted anyway.

So what would you rather have -- a captured moment that's a foot or two outside the plane of focus?  or a tack sharp image a split second too late?

I'll take tack sharp over a fuzzy mess any day.

That's just my $0.02.

with AF assist you can have both :D
APS-H Fanboy

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:02 AM »
Yes i have found while it will actually achieve lock in lower light than the mk2 it struggles and takes too long in really low light

Is this due to the fact that the 1dx's af works slower on the 5d3 with its lower voltage and/or computing power, so the af might be somewhat overpowered for the 5d3's design? I've read about the slower af a couple of times and am curious about this, because I'm really not sure if I should save for a 5d3 because of the better af or rather get a 5d2.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:46:27 AM »

Is this due to the fact that the 1dx's af works slower on the 5d3 with its lower voltage and/or computing power, so the af might be somewhat overpowered for the 5d3's design? I've read about the slower af a couple of times and am curious about this, because I'm really not sure if I should save for a 5d3 because of the better af or rather get a 5d2.

if you can afford it i would say the mk3, it has soo many other awesome benefits the 100% VF just for a start
thats worth alot to me, i also think the raws are pretty close to 2 stops better than the mk 2 maybe 1.5
not because of less noise entirely but because the noise itself has a much cleaner film like grain to it
8000 iso is no problem and 12800 is usable i try to  limit my mk 2 to 3200 and 6400 at a pinch. not to mention dual cards better build nicer ergonomics better bracketing finer AF micro adjust, the list goes on...

pretty hard to say without having a 1Dx to test side by side i'd be happy to test it if canon want to send me a 1Dx to compare against :D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:54:01 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:22:42 AM »
does it focus just as slowly when there is good light? IIRC the mkIII lacks an AF assist lamp (ridiculous for such an expensive body). If the problem remains regardless of light levels, then there isn't much you can do except wait for the camera to work it out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:22:42 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:28:45 AM »
no in good light it focuses pretty much instantly with the AF assist its almost instant but fractionally slower than with good light
APS-H Fanboy

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:37:43 AM »
I've noticed a slight delay in the 5D3 AF in low light, but I - for one - appreciate it. 

Does this delay depend on the max open aperture of the lens? I noticed that the af system of the 5d3 depends more on as much light as possible from the lens than earlier models, or parts of the af degrade/are disabled.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »
I've noticed a slight delay in the 5D3 AF in low light, but I - for one - appreciate it. 

Does this delay depend on the max open aperture of the lens? I noticed that the af system of the 5d3 depends more on as much light as possible from the lens than earlier models, or parts of the af degrade/are disabled.

no its just ambient light and potential contrast of object for it to grab onto, like i said it will actually lock on in light levels that the mk2 will never even lock in even though the mk2 will lock faster in slightly better light relatively speaking
APS-H Fanboy

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 08:21:47 AM »
no its just ambient light and potential contrast of object for it to grab onto, like i said it will actually lock on in light levels that the mk2 will never even lock in even though the mk2 will lock faster in slightly better light relatively speaking

Ok, thanks for the information. Are you comparing single point af on the 5d2 and 5d3, or are you saying multi-point af on the 5d3 works slower, but more reliable?

However, as I understand it the max. open lens aperture at which the af works does make a difference for *phase* af, no matter how high the light level or contrast is? The latter is the decisive factor for live view contast af - hence the name.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 08:23:55 AM »
single point spot focus on both, also the mk3's other points other than the center point will actually lock on in low light
forget the outer 8 points on the mk2 even in a studio shooting low key under modelling lamps its center point only
APS-H Fanboy

jointdoc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »

Which lens are you using?  Is it f/2.8 or f/4.0?  Is the focusing motor a USM?  Have you tried different lenses?
Canon 5D MkII; Canon T2i; EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 40 f/2.8; EF-S 18-135; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon 2x Mk. III T.C.; EF 100 f/2.8 macro; EF 16-35 f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »

TW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
single point spot focus on both, also the mk3's other points other than the center point will actually lock on in low light
forget the outer 8 points on the mk2 even in a studio shooting low key under modelling lamps its center point only

Single point SPOT focus? That's your problem. The manual clearly states Spot AF is not recommended for tracking action or for use in very low light scenarios.

RTFM.
35+ years of Canon gear...good grief! Still have 2 FTb cameras in working order, too!

mccallew

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »

Which lens are you using?  Is it f/2.8 or f/4.0?  Is the focusing motor a USM?  Have you tried different lenses?

My rig during receptions is generally the 70-200 f/2.8 II, 24-70 f/2.8 and 16-35 f/2.8, mixing in an 85 1.2 occassionaly. I am now shooting 600EX-RT flashes on my Mk3 and Mk2 bodies with a 3rd off camera (these flashes rock, though can't wait for the 1DX to come out so that I have two "now" bodies to capitalize on all the flash functions on both bodies). I generally shoot at 2.8-3.5, sticking at 3.2 mostly, and not that it matters for AF at iso 2000 on the mk3. I have the slow AF lock on pretty much all lenses in low light. I shoot one shot most of the time. Next weekend I'll roll AI servo some, but then won't even know if it's locked. I just don't trust it in light of its slow lock. In good light... AMAZING!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »