October 23, 2014, 10:53:43 AM

Author Topic: Apple Announces new MacBook Pro with retina display...  (Read 6746 times)

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
Apple Announces new MacBook Pro with retina display...
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »
No Optical Drive, modeled after the Air.

It's got a Retina display; 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch. (My 27" iMac only has 2560x1440)

Memory 8GB std, up to 16GB. (an upgrade from 8GB to 16GB is only $200) ;D cheap by apple standards.

Flash Drives, 256GB or 512GB std., 512GB model upgradeable to 768GB (for $500).  >:(

Base price $2199, a maxed out version will run you $3749 for 2.7GHz i7, 16GB memory and 768GB Flash Storage,

USB-3, Dual Thunderbolt, backlit keyboard.

CR won't let me link to the apple store link to the MacBook Pros. so you'll have to go to the apple site and find it on your own.

No announcement for an update to the Mac Pro  >:(
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:54:32 PM by Wrathwilde »

canon rumors FORUM

Apple Announces new MacBook Pro with retina display...
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Announces new MacBook Pro with retina display...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »
Minor point, but also announced was a new FW800 to Thunderbolt dongle - great as it will allow me to connect my FW800 external drives to my MBAir with something faster than USB2.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
I've been planning on updating this year around late summer/early fall.  My 2009 17" MBP will be three in August(and the warranty will be up).  As I had feared, they killed off the 17"(and in turn, since it was exclusive to it, the ExpressCard slot) and internal optical drive.  Collateral damage also included the FW800 port and Ethernet port, so dongles will be necessary.  At least most of my external drives are Seagate GoFlex so I can use the USB 3.0 adapter or shell out the $100 for the Thunderbolt adapter.  The FW and EC34 won't be too big of a deal.  USB 3.0 and ThunderBolt drives and card readers will be faster than what I've been used to.  I'm glad to see the high rez Retina Display, 16GB's of RAM and faster processors, but I've been hoping for 1TB of internal factory storage for a while.  One you may have missed: Apple has introduced a new "MagSafe 2" connector/power supply for the new laptop, but at least they have a cheap($9.99) adapter that will let you use your old MagSafe power supplies with it, which is good because between me and my GF, we have five around the house and in our backpacks for travel.  Maybe I'll ride over to one of the Apple Stores tomorrow(we have two within 15 mins of each other) and check out the new display and see if I want to go ahead and order since it says on-line it would take 3-5 weeks to build/receive a maxed out one anyway.

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
Minor point, but also announced was a new FW800 to Thunderbolt dongle - great as it will allow me to connect my FW800 external drives to my MBAir with something faster than USB2.

That's welcome, as I do have firewire 800 drives too and a firewire scanner (The scanner isn't used too often anymore). I can't wait until the Thunderbolt drives start dropping in price. There's really no reason a 12GB Thunderbolt RAID should cost twice as much as a 12GB Firewire 800/eSATA RAID solution using the same drives. $100-$300 more? That would be reasonable, but $1200 more is just insane.

There are also some cool Thunderbolt Docking stations coming out too. Sunix has a Thunderbolt Dock coming out hat has a blu-ray writer, a hot swappable 6Gbps 3.5 HDD bay, (4ea) USB 3 ports, Gigabit LAN port, SPDIF and a multiformat card reader (although it doesn't look like CF is one of the card types supported).  >:(

Sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:22:12 PM by Wrathwilde »

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
i am actually installing a new aperture update, and it has quite a few things listed, including better shadow/highlights.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

semmiecircle

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Haven't heard anyone mention the HDMI yet, but would that mean that you could run an uncompressed video stream into the new macbook for live streaming or recording large chunks of video?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »
Haven't heard anyone mention the HDMI yet, but would that mean that you could run an uncompressed video stream into the new macbook for live streaming or recording large chunks of video?

Not sure, but doubtful.  Historically, Apple's video ports have always been output only, not input.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
i am actually installing a new aperture update, and it has quite a few things listed, including better shadow/highlights.

Just attempted to update from 3.2.4 (that I DL'd about a month or so ago) to 3.3(todays update) and it's apparently not compatible with Snow Leopard.  Said it requires Lion(10.7.4 or higher).

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
sweet! i'll be getting one of those for sure!

that screen looks awesome
APS-H Fanboy

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »
sweet! i'll be getting one of those for sure!

that screen looks awesome

That makes two of us. 

I just wish they'd update the Mac Pro too... with a raid solution that runs off a dedicated, bootable, high-speed channel that can take full advantage of 4 internal SSD drives in RAID 0.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:30:07 PM by Wrathwilde »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »
Count me out.  I want a 17", please!  I like my 17" for a workhorse machine, and my 13" Air for travel.  The 15" is too small for desk use and to big to be really portable, IMO the worst of both worlds (despite the wonderful display)...

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »
Count me out.  I want a 17", please!  I like my 17" for a workhorse machine, and my 13" Air for travel.  The 15" is too small for desk use and to big to be really portable, IMO the worst of both worlds (despite the wonderful display)...

I'm with you, brother.  My last two laptops have both been 17"'s.  But as we all know too well, Apple has a bad habit of "take it or leave" when it comes to their products and software.  And when new products are announced, the previous generation "disappears".  So I can't even order the 17" that was still "current" Sunday afternoon before WWDC.  My 17" MBP is still working, but is showing it's age now on some programs like the last update of DPP and Aperture.  And DXO has never been super speedy on my machine, either.

I like a lot of the specs on the new Retina MBP, I can even live with having to use an external optical drive, but killing the 17" screen REALLY sucks.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
Amazon and other 3rd parties are still selling the 17" models.  Mine is early 2011, Core i5 and decently snappy (replaced a 2007 17", which were the very first gen 17" MBP), plus my Air is newer, after the 2011 refresh, so at least I'm not in a hurry to update.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 12:15:54 AM »
2 expensive for what it does for me.

Jettatore

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 07:00:49 AM »
Not to be a sharp stick in the mud (I usually just ignore new product hype) but is this, perhaps, too much resolution?  Should be fine (actually quite nice) if the OS and software can readily scale onscreen content back up to make up for the fact that everything otherwise will get smaller on the already somewhat small 15" screen.  Without re-scaling however, the windows, text and buttons and whatnot will be quite small on an already small 15" screen.  I'm sure Apple has something in mind other than just chosing a smaller resolution in the display options, because Apple is the bestest in the world at everything and really knows what they are doings.

I was worried when I switched to dual 22" wide-screens for my desktop that their seemingly small 1680x1050 resolutions would not be enough.  Far from it, it was the perfect resolution for working.  Before that I was used to very large, very heavy, CRT, Sony Trinitron displays.  I had 3 of them, one close to a 30", a 21" and a smaller one off to the side, 15" or so.  They all had higher resolution than the newer, smaller, flat panels, the largest one went a bit over 1920x1080, don't remember specifically what it was, but once I made the switch I couldn't have been happier.  It was much easier on my eyes and I was never craving for more space.  After that switch I never much concerned myself with super high resolutions, but I do prefer when possible to match exactly the HD 1920x1080P spec, something my current 12.5" machine doesn't and shouldn't do, but it still has the perfect working space size for imaging on such a small screen.

In all, this just seems like number pushing, which they already were doing before.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 07:00:49 AM »