May 22, 2018, 09:56:07 PM

Author Topic: Camera Gear Costs More Right Now  (Read 13025 times)

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Camera Gear Costs More Right Now
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 04:38:20 AM »
In the UK, I haven't noticed prices rising, but then they started a whole lot more expensive than in the USA (taxes!).  Then again, the Camera Price Buster website definitely has fewer price drops in recent weeks, so it looks like retailers aren't discounting nearly as much. 

Somewhat off topic, by comparing the prices in the Canon Camera Museum to today's using a website like http://www.measuringworth.com, you can get some interesting results (I would give figures, but I can't get this site to load at the moment!).  You might want to be careful if inputting the Yen price and using the average earnings metric, as the average Japanese person was relatively far less wealthy than the average American or even British person back in the early 1960s (something we often forget).  Does anyone know the release price for this model in GBP or USD?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 04:38:20 AM »

KBX500

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 05:53:53 AM »
Financially, the photographic divisions of Canon, Nikon and Sony should withstand the disaster in Japan without excessive difficulty. The loss of some of their production lines for one to two months is a major blow to quarterly projections, but for the most part, sales deferred for now will be largely made up by the end of the summer. By this time next year they'll be back to normal, at least let's hope so. As corporations, operating world-wide and with many divisions, each is sufficiently diversified that the impact on their bottom line is lessened even more.     

However, the situation for photographic equipment retailers is dramatically different. Canon, Nikon and Sony likely comprise the majority of their regular, high dollar sales and with their stock not being replenished, those retailers are faced with the loss of the cash flow that is their business. They now have to extract the same gross profit they would normally generate in March, April, May and June (?) on cameras, lenses, flashes, etc., from the stock they have on hand, or what little is left in the pipeline. If they don't they'll have to start laying off employees, or cutting wages or benefits, or hours, or...

So what are they supposed to do ? How many of those shop owners have had a good nights sleep lately. None, I'd say. How many of those employees are sleeping well ? Keep in mind that the employees that these camera shops are about to lay off typically make a pretty good living. They have kids, car payments, mortgages and an endless number of bills to pay just like we do. If their employer doesn't have stock for them to sell how long will they be employed ? What are they going to do.

So before you complain of price gouging, or the naturally occuring price increases, consider the whole range of issues that have arisen due to the Earthquake and Tsunami. Show a little consideration. Be kind.

stark-arts

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 08:17:59 AM »
The price of gas/fuel has gone up dramatically in that time frame. So besides delivery the cost of flying, driving, and boating have gone up as well. Since that is what UPS and FedEx use to deliver things I think you can figure that out if you take a second.

Hillsilly

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
I agree that fuel is expensive, but its not like these companies are filling up their jets and ocean liners at the local gas station.  Current international fuel prices are significantly lower now than compared with three years ago.
Camera Obscura

hutjeflut

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »
dont be surprised its bin happening for the past year and a half  ! !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »