August 27, 2014, 09:26:37 PM

Poll

How many of you have the 1DX on preorder?

I preordered since announcement/preorders were being taken.
31 (75.6%)
I preordered after comparing with 5D3.
5 (12.2%)
I cancelled after 5D3 announcement.
2 (4.9%)
I cancelled because of the delay (or other misc. reasons)
3 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: 1DX on preorder  (Read 5935 times)

MarkWebbPhoto

Re: 1DX on preorder
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »
Most of those who would order a 1D X are pros, and are busy earning a living.  I'm retired and can't afford one.  Unless there is a specific need for the features, or a person is able to afford it for a hobby, you can do very well with a 5D MK III series.

Yeah I make my living on photography so I'm going to pass on the 5D3 for the 1DX. The 1DX has many advantages over the 5D3 such as weather proofing, durability, two CF card slots (the SD card in my 1D MK IV slows things down for me), the higher speed will be appreciated for sports (I will even use 14 fps for golf and baseball when I want the ball moving in the frame), useable images at ISO 25k, slightly better x-sync speed, and most of all the amazing AF. A friend of mine used a 1DX and said the AF was much better than the 5D3 which is already pretty darn good.

People keep yapping about how long the camera is taking to come out but you gotta realize that they have lots of new tech in the new body including the change to a carbon fiber shutter which they want to ensure is durable enough for folks like me who shoot thousands of photos in a single weekend.

I want this camera to be perfect and I don't want to have to send it back in for repair like many have done with their 5D3. Professional quality products take more time to make and quality control is going to be much tighter on a 1DX than a rebel or even the 5D3 which is why they were able to hit the market so early. It is frustrating and I tell myself all the time that I really could have used a 1DX on this shoot or that shoot.

Canon is unleashing a lot of new tech this year and it makes me glad to be a Canon shooter. The 1DX paired with 3-4 600EX-RT's is going to be an amazing setup for weddings and photojournalism.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 08:39:41 PM »
Most of those who would order a 1D X are pros, and are busy earning a living.  I'm retired and can't afford one.  Unless there is a specific need for the features, or a person is able to afford it for a hobby, you can do very well with a 5D MK III series.

Yeah I make my living on photography so I'm going to pass on the 5D3 for the 1DX. The 1DX has many advantages over the 5D3 such as weather proofing, durability, two CF card slots (the SD card in my 1D MK IV slows things down for me), the higher speed will be appreciated for sports (I will even use 14 fps for golf and baseball when I want the ball moving in the frame), useable images at ISO 25k, slightly better x-sync speed, and most of all the amazing AF. A friend of mine used a 1DX and said the AF was much better than the 5D3 which is already pretty darn good.

People keep yapping about how long the camera is taking to come out but you gotta realize that they have lots of new tech in the new body including the change to a carbon fiber shutter which they want to ensure is durable enough for folks like me who shoot thousands of photos in a single weekend.

I want this camera to be perfect and I don't want to have to send it back in for repair like many have done with their 5D3. Professional quality products take more time to make and quality control is going to be much tighter on a 1DX than a rebel or even the 5D3 which is why they were able to hit the market so early. It is frustrating and I tell myself all the time that I really could have used a 1DX on this shoot or that shoot.

Canon is unleashing a lot of new tech this year and it makes me glad to be a Canon shooter. The 1DX paired with 3-4 600EX-RT's is going to be an amazing setup for weddings and photojournalism.

If I buy the 1DX, already having the 5D Mark III, would you sell your 1D Mark IV, or keep all 3?  I'll be shooting a heck of a lot more sports, only in winter and spring though.  Summer and fall probably no sports.  Too bad Canon didn't already have a 1Ds Mark IV (22mp with dual digic 4's) that was newer than the 2007 tech of the Ds Mark III, or I'd have a 1Ds Mark IV, 1DX, and a 5D Mark III in my bag :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 08:54:06 PM »

If I buy the 1DX, already having the 5D Mark III, would you sell your 1D Mark IV, or keep all 3?  I'll be shooting a heck of a lot more sports, only in winter and spring though.  Summer and fall probably no sports.  Too bad Canon didn't already have a 1Ds Mark IV (22mp with dual digic 4's) that was newer than the 2007 tech of the Ds Mark III, or I'd have a 1Ds Mark IV, 1DX, and a 5D Mark III in my bag :)

When my 1DX arrives I have a tough call to make, keep the 5D MK II or the 1D MK IV as a second body? I have definitely exceeded the rated 150k shutter durability but never had any problems with my 5D MK II. Ideally I would like two 1DX bodies but it will be a long time before I can afford that. The 1D MK IV works great but I don't care for the color or the crop sensor since I shoot with primes mostly. What would you keep as a second body between the two? 1DX will be the workhorse but when you have a bride coming down the isle and need to switch to a wide angle lens....

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
When my 1DX arrives I have a tough call to make, keep the 5D MK II or the 1D MK IV as a second body? I have definitely exceeded the rated 150k shutter durability but never had any problems with my 5D MK II. Ideally I would like two 1DX bodies but it will be a long time before I can afford that. The 1D MK IV works great but I don't care for the color or the crop sensor since I shoot with primes mostly. What would you keep as a second body between the two? 1DX will be the workhorse but when you have a bride coming down the isle and need to switch to a wide angle lens....

As you will have three excellent cameras I hope that before you sell anything you will so some kind or "user" (rather than technical) review of all three in different real life situations. If I were in your shoes I would sell the 5D Mark II :-)
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

briansquibb

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 11:16:21 PM »
Are people so disatisfied with their existing kit that they would switch just because they cant wait? I can see with some pros that might be the case - or is it mostly because they want the latest and greatest?

Speed

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 01:36:21 AM »
Are people so disatisfied with their existing kit that they would switch just because they cant wait? I can see with some pros that might be the case - or is it mostly because they want the latest and greatest?

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I shoot indoor sports 99% of the time & I find the 5DII & the 1DIV just don't cut it.  I have to underexpose at 6,400 iso & f2.8 & still don't get a high enough shutter speed....not even mentioning the focus issues or the shots that I don't even attempt because I know that they'll be blurry.

briansquibb

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 02:32:13 AM »

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I shoot indoor sports 99% of the time & I find the 5DII & the 1DIV just don't cut it.  I have to underexpose at 6,400 iso & f2.8 & still don't get a high enough shutter speed....not even mentioning the focus issues or the shots that I don't even attempt because I know that they'll be blurry.

Get a faster lens?

The 1D4 gives reasonable photos at iso12800.

If the 5DII is not focussing then you must be shooting in near dark with low contrast

Speed

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 03:27:14 AM »
I need a zoom & the 70 - 200 2.8 is pretty perfect.

I'm pretty disappointed in the 1D4 at 6400 so I wouldn't go any higher with it.

Black leotards in at EV5 is probably not a good mix.

My photography will pay for the 1DX so I figure I'll get one the second they're available.  I ordered two in October last year & paid deposits in January so I reckon I've waited long enough and I have faith that Canon have the bugs sorted.  My 5D is also over its rated shutter actuations so I've had my use from it.  :)