April 17, 2014, 08:24:13 PM

Author Topic: 4 More DSLRs Coming in 2012? [CR2]  (Read 32820 times)

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 4 More DSLRs Coming in 2012? [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »
A direct replacement for the 5D Mark II???  So what is the Mark III suppose to be?  The only thing I can think of is that due to the wide price gap they always intended to have two full frame 5D and they are refreshing the Mark II to have an entry in the 2K range?  So maybe the new 5D Mark II will be the entry level full frame?  Canon's road map is bewildering to say the least!   :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »

sovietdoc

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
I'd much rather have any kind of crappy AF in video mode, than not have any AF at all.

I am hoping the max megapixels camera will be eos 3D.  If you think about it, the 1-series are always going to be the cream of the crop with the performance photographer in mind shooting sports and birds. 

Canon needs to split its camera tree into

1D - action pro photography / wildlife
3D - pro studio / landscapes
5D - midrange FF, can do what the big boys can but has lower resolution and lower fps, no 1d camera body style
*D - entry level full frame, kind of like a 7D except FF sensor with low resolution and "meh" fps
*D - high end APS-C with high fps (like current 7D)
**D - better rebel
***D - the rebel
****D - lowest end DSLR
M*(or V) - mirrorless
G* - high end PnS

I mean this is just out of my head, but they key point is, they definitely need to have 2 distinct bodies for high fps and high res.  Having a eos 3D that will be the standard for HR photography just makes more sense than vandalizing 1D name and having 2 different 1d cameras that do different things.

It would be very good if they had made 3d to have 1d-like body, but smaller and lighter overall.

Why did 5D jump up the price so much? I think it makes sense, there is exactly price range space in between it and 1dx now, hinting a 3d series, and at the low end there is price range space for an entry FF DSLR
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:11:22 PM by sovietdoc »

HeWhoShoots

• PowerShot G16
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 5D MK3 and I mostly shoot video, can someone please throw me a 'you're doing the right thing' bone. I'm worried that what Canon might do is make a video orientated entry level full frame borrow the AF technology from the new 650D/T4i.

Can you see where I'm coming from?

Personally, I'm waiting. In the same boat as you.
Hands Mk 2| Eyes V1 | Brain.0

sovietdoc

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 05:13:25 PM »
entry level FF with full AF focus in video mode is a killer.

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »
How about a FF entry with no Video, you know to keep the price down, something for the purist photographers for a change…. 650D is good enough for those wanting to do video

Let the fire and brimstone begin  :P ;D hehehe

thundermonkey

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 5D MK3 and I mostly shoot video, can someone please throw me a 'you're doing the right thing' bone. I'm worried that what Canon might do is make a video orientated entry level full frame borrow the AF technology from the new 650D/T4i.

Same boat as both of you. Thinking I will hold on to my 60D for now, invest in a 24-70 and other equipment (just got a Glidecam woohoo!) and wait til end of the year to make the Mark 3 jump.

BXL

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
If the mirrorless doesn’t count against the 4 purported camera bodies, I’m unsure what else Canon could have up their sleeves for the EOS line.
Maybe the 7D Mark II?

Regarding the entry level FF, what kind of AF can we expect: the old one of the 5D II with only one center cross-type AF point, one with 9 or maybe even 19 cross-type AF points?
450D | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 100 f/2 | 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »

Astro

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 05:30:47 PM »
i hope one is an answer to the rumored nikon D600.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 05:33:05 PM »
I'm not sure about 'entry level' full frame.  The first reason is a comment I read a Sony rep make in an interview, which appeared to suggest the A900/A850 were expensive to make and did not have high enough margins (although this could be Sony trying to justify SLT).  The second reason is that I think a lot of this speculation is simply a reaction to the D600 rumours emanating from the NR website.  Nikon certainly have more room to manoeuvre than Canon, especially with the existence of the 24MP Sony FF chip (and rumours of an updated version on the way).  What would an 'entry level' full frame Canon look like? Realistically, there's only two choices of sensor -the 5D MkIII's  22MP and the 1D X's 18MP; not much of a product differentiation.  I can't see them using the 18MP sensor, as I think this would devalue the 1D X psychologically by implying that it uses Canon's 'budget' FF sensor.  So how else to differentiate from the 5D MkIII: less weather sealing, <100% viewfinder, slower frame rate, smaller image buffer? They're all a given (I would think), but Sony's experience with the A900/A850 would suggest that this isn't enough -a major product feature would have to be omitted.  I'm guessing that would have to be the fancy AF system, which would leave the camera as little more than the 5D MkII with a slightly improved sensor.  Unless Canon can knock them out at a very low price point, which might disrupt their APS-C line-up (refer also to my first point about the A900/A850 margins). 

With regard to the 7D MkII / 70D - I don't think that there is room for both models and an 'entry level' full frame camera in the market; I feel that the 7D MkII and this '6D' (or whatever) would be a bit too close in price.  I could be wrong -there may still be a market for a 'screaming beast' 7D MkII (which I basically see as a 5D MkIII with an APS-C sensor and probably a faster frame rate), at a similar price point to a basic full frame 6D.   

Now the 'big if' -the high megapixel body... I know there's a lot of interest from 1Ds MkIII owners in a 1-series body that would truly be an upgrade.  After all, it is these people that choose to pay (extra) for a slower, but higher resolution camera than the 1D series.  Having said this, I think that it would be a mistake for Canon to choose to make their only high resolution body a 1-series camera.  Nikon did this with the D3X and proved that whilst this approach gets you the kudos, it doesn't generate the sales.   

Finally a quick word about mirrorless: I'm now convinced this will be a big part of Canon's Photokina plans.  All the technology that Canon needs to make the perfect mirrorless camera is now in place and prototyped on other models (large sensor in a small body - G1X, on-chip phase detect AF -650D [/Rebel Kiss XXX, or whatever] , STM lenses).  I call it the perfect mirrorless camera because all the models introduced so far have one flaw or other (though they are steadily improving).  Let's hope that Canon can use their two years of observing the mistakes of others and produce the definitive mirrorless body accompanied by a strong lens line-up at launch (and a good roadmap). 

Astro

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »
How about a FF entry with no Video, you know to keep the price down, something for the purist photographers for a change…. 650D is good enough for those wanting to do video

Let the fire and brimstone begin  :P ;D hehehe

well video R&D is already done.
the functions are in the digic 5 already ... so how will that work?
imo that would only work if they don´t invest in R&D for video at all (in the future).

and i would call that highly unlikely.

they can disable the features sure.. but that would not safe them a cent (*).
it would only make the video models more expensive but not the crippled ones cheaper.

(*) ok a few cents maybe, for the mics as an example.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:37:02 PM by Astro »

briansquibb

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
Sooo...my 5DmkII is being considered 'entry level' now?

5DII has always been the entry level ff

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 05:38:06 PM »
It was a bit silly of me to mention the AF because AF doesn't matter to me at all but I thought that perhaps the whole full frame/automatic stance might be something that would sell really well for Canon. Thinking about it you're right about the undercutting the C300 and I'm most probably just being paranoid.

I think you are being paranoid. Have you looked at the Gh2 hacks? That seems to be the best bang for your buck video right now.

Also, the c300 will always have better DR over any 5D variant, presuming it uses the same 5D3 sensor.

HeWhoShoots

• PowerShot G16
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »

Same boat as both of you. Thinking I will hold on to my 60D for now, invest in a 24-70 and other equipment (just got a Glidecam woohoo!) and wait til end of the year to make the Mark 3 jump.

Enjoy the Glidecam. I use a Merlin and love it quite a good bit. I'm waiting to see the entry levels specs, it looks like a better cam for me since any upgrade from a 550D will be great.
Hands Mk 2| Eyes V1 | Brain.0

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »

pakosouthpark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »
this news messes my mind a lot!! if was going to get a 5d mk II in the end of the month! im not travelling till end of august though so I guess I could wait! baaaah  :-\ wish I could get more about this!

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 05:43:07 PM »
What about a boring old replacement for the 1100D? Not very sexy, but certainly possible, especially if it's in Q4
Probably too soon for that, the T3 is only a little over a year old. The XS went for nearly 3 years before getting replaced.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 05:43:07 PM »