November 27, 2014, 11:42:35 PM

Author Topic: 4 More DSLRs Coming in 2012? [CR2]  (Read 38895 times)

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 4 More DSLRs Coming in 2012? [CR2]
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »
What ever Canon decides to do will be huge,  for a 450D user who is slowly saving money,  I've been thinking a 70D or 7D2 depending on pricing would be my next cam,  at around $1500    Now if canon stays close to Nikon rumors in specs and pricing on an entry FF lets say $1600   I think I'd be game.... I wanted high FPS from a 7D but if I could get 5d2 level image quality, with 19pt AF and other tweeks at say 5fps I think I would buy it.

Yes I'm ready for everyone to say 1500-1600 for those camera's are impossible canon would never.     But why jump from $850 for 650D to $1800 for a 70D and then $2300 for a FF??   Just seems stupid. 

As long as I'm talking, entry FF would be fine by me with a plastic 60D body.  I've never dropped my 450D or banged it hard to cause a mark....so not sure why metal is even needed by most.
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »

Alumina

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2012, 07:47:48 AM »
What ever Canon decides to do will be huge,  for a 450D user who is slowly saving money,  I've been thinking a 70D or 7D2 depending on pricing would be my next cam,  at around $1500    Now if canon stays close to Nikon rumors in specs and pricing on an entry FF lets say $1600   I think I'd be game.... I wanted high FPS from a 7D but if I could get 5d2 level image quality, with 19pt AF and other tweeks at say 5fps I think I would buy it.

Yes I'm ready for everyone to say 1500-1600 for those camera's are impossible canon would never.     But why jump from $850 for 650D to $1800 for a 70D and then $2300 for a FF??   Just seems stupid. 

As long as I'm talking, entry FF would be fine by me with a plastic 60D body.  I've never dropped my 450D or banged it hard to cause a mark....so not sure why metal is even needed by most.

Well it's not just for the dropping of the camera, it's also for weather sealing. Personally when I upgrade (it'll take a while if I hear all these rumors! :D ) I will go for a weather-sealed body. I lay upside down in the bushes one time too many not too want it. Dust, water etc etc are bound to get to my T3i sometime, although I'm very careful. That's personal though! :D

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »
I lay upside down in the bushes one time too many not too want it. Dust, water etc etc are bound to get to my T3i sometime, although I'm very careful. That's personal though! :D

I took my 450D to Niagara Falls,it stayed dry ish,  (lots of spray)  and while in mexico this year, was taking picture of my 5 month old son in the pool and these stupid kids do a canon ball right next to me and soaked the camera.  Used a towel to wipe it down and it still all works... maybe I was just lucky  (sorta had hoped it took a crap so I had a real reason to upgrade)
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

Ayelike

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2012, 08:10:55 AM »
A few things people are talking about confuse me.

Firstly, if Canon produce a higher MP 5D then it'll have to be more expensive than the 5D3 (as not to annoy people like me who have just bought one). Then they'll have their own version of the Nikon D800 that costs twice as much so nobody will buy it.

Secondly, if Canon produces a FF camera that is cheaper than the 5D3 then it'll have to be a lower spec. Say that of the 5D2. But Canon already have a camera the same spec as the 5D2... the 5D2. So why spend millions in development of a new product that replaces one they already have when they're going to sell it at the same price?

I'm no expert but I can imagine Canon releasing a higher MP version of the 1DX with a lower FPS. So you have one for the sports togs and one for the studio togs. They could then keep production of the 5D2 going a little longer to bridge the gap between the 7D and the 5D3. When the 5D3 drops in price or a newer and more expensive 7D comes out then the 5D2 will be squeezed out of the picture.

Just my thoughts.

Oh and following on the subject of weather sealing, my old 450D got rained on, splashed by swimmers, soaked by a waterfall and kept on taking shots. Nice to know my new 5D3 will take all that and a lot more though. Less stress about your equipment leads to better photos!

Alumina

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2012, 08:13:01 AM »
I lay upside down in the bushes one time too many not too want it. Dust, water etc etc are bound to get to my T3i sometime, although I'm very careful. That's personal though! :D

I took my 450D to Niagara Falls,it stayed dry ish,  (lots of spray)  and while in mexico this year, was taking picture of my 5 month old son in the pool and these stupid kids do a canon ball right next to me and soaked the camera.  Used a towel to wipe it down and it still all works... maybe I was just lucky  (sorta had hoped it took a crap so I had a real reason to upgrade)

Hahaha I know that feeling all too well! And Wow sounds like you were lucky! (I can imagine water getting somewhere and ruining your camera) I was in a forest a while back for some macro's, and at the end of the 2 day trip my camera was covered with dust, pollen and other stuff that floats around there. Took me a while to get everything off, luckily nothing got into the camera but It made me a bit anxious.
but different people have different views on things, haha. I mean if there comes a killer camera that I really want that doesn't have a weather-proof sealing so be it, but if there's a choice i'd go for the sealed one.

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »
I have it on good authority *drum roll please*  that Canon are preparing a medium format camera.

Don't be so shocked.

Apparently they feel threatened by the Pentax 645D, the new Pentax 645D Mark II (coming out soon) and the massive recent price reductions in the Hasselblad HD40, not to mention the Nikon D800. It all makes perfect sense.

It's rumored to be around the 45MP mark to compete head-on with (and beat) the Pentax 645D. Canon will have a new range of glass for landscape and product usage, and they'll also sell an adapter for EF lenses.  The full frame will drop megapixels down to the 18MP range so you'll have something similar to a 1DX with regular full-frame L glass (albeit in a much bigger and slower body). The focal lengths with the adapter won't be directly comparable, as the lens needs to sit further away from the body due to the bigger mirror, and the adapter shim.

The good thing about the adapter is you'll still have AF. Canon are also looking at having a manual-focus-only adapter for Schneider-Kreuznach lenses, to woo customers with existing medium-format lens investments.

This will knock Nikon out of the park, as the depth compression (that medium format and Brenizer look), dynamic range, low light performance and skin tones will be so much better.

It's why Canon were confident about combining the 1D and 1Ds lines at reduced megapixels (for the 1Ds) - they know what's coming down the pipeline for high-art landscape and studio/product shooters to fill that void.

It's just a bugger that I'll have to buy some new glass! I'll only need a couple of wide-angle primes though. Can't wait! It'll be the perfect addition to my 5DIII. Price rumored to be in the 14K range for the body.

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »
I have it on good authority *drum roll please*  that Canon are preparing a medium format camera.

I have also heard the megapixel camera from Canon will be a departure from their current EF stuff. Not sure if it's mirrorless or medium format or something else. Those folks who know more are pretty excited about this upcoming camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »

lola

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »

Firstly, if Canon produce a higher MP 5D then it'll have to be more expensive than the 5D3 (as not to annoy people like me who have just bought one). Then they'll have their own version of the Nikon D800 that costs twice as much so nobody will buy it.

Secondly, if Canon produces a FF camera that is cheaper than the 5D3 then it'll have to be a lower spec. Say that of the 5D2. But Canon already have a camera the same spec as the 5D2... the 5D2. So why spend millions in development of a new product that replaces one they already have when they're going to sell it at the same price?

I'm no expert but I can imagine Canon releasing a higher MP version of the 1DX with a lower FPS. So you have one for the sports togs and one for the studio togs. They could then keep production of the 5D2 going a little longer to bridge the gap between the 7D and the 5D3. When the 5D3 drops in price or a newer and more expensive 7D comes out then the 5D2 will be squeezed out of the picture.

Just my thoughts.

Oh and following on the subject of weather sealing, my old 450D got rained on, splashed by swimmers, soaked by a waterfall and kept on taking shots. Nice to know my new 5D3 will take all that and a lot more though. Less stress about your equipment leads to better photos!

Well said...

I'll have a good laugh if they announce a 1D series big-MP camera. What an amalgamation of the 1D series that would be...
20D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 1DX, D800 EF 17-40mm. f/4.0 L USM, EF 70-200mm. f/2.8 L USM, EF 24-105mm. f/4 L IS USM, EF 100mm. f/2.8 L IS USM Macro, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm. f/2.8 G ED VR II, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »
Well let's see, I currently own a 450D and a gripped 7D and I've even got a few shots over in the gallery section of this forum with a 1DIV.

I'll more than likely pick up a 5DIII early next month so I guess the answer to your question would be yes, I've used more than a rebel.  Having said that, I still enjoy using my rebel when I want a lightweight kit, which is why I didn't sell it when I bought the 7D last year. 

Believe it or not, some people actually like the smaller form factor and yes the cheaper price of the rebel bodies and since you're so experienced, you know the IQ is pretty much identical between the 2 ranges.

And yes I think you were trying to be a dick..lol!!  Unfortunately, that's not something that phases me. ;)

•    
    • the 70D is coming because the T4i now has virtually the same specs as the 60D, no reason whatsoever to buy a 60D anymore and Canon knows it.  It will probably get the 7D 19pt AF, 8 FPS and the new 18MP sensor from the T4i.  I'm guessing $1200 - $1500

I'd rather have a 60D over a T4i/650D. Have you used anything other than a Rebel before? Serious question and I'm not trying to be a d*ck. The size, build quality and lack of function is just terrible compared to everything else above it. The dentist excites me more than the new 650D.
    [/l][/l][/l][/l]
[/q][/q]

I read it that what D_Rochat was trying to say was that in his opinion that although on paper the 650D looks good, he would buy the 60D

No need to get rude about it just because he has a different opinion than you

He asked a question, I answered it.  Not sure how my comment could be interpreted as rude.  Maybe I should have prefaced it with "I'm not trying to be a dick or anything"..lol[/list]
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
Personally, I am hoping for mirrorless FF camera though.
Many are, and many will be disappointed when they see that Canon's mirrorless is just a slightly improved G1X with interchangeable lens system.

ABSOLUTELY BANG ON!

hutjeflut

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2012, 10:11:07 AM »
2) Prosumer APS-C, possibly the 70D and not a direct replacement of the 7D.

its practicly impossible to make a 70d without being better then a 7D....

the 7d is old and needs a upgrade the 60d already took some features from the 7D a 70D cant take much more so will end up being a better camera.

and why no 1200d the 1100d can do with some tweaking also.

ah well with lens prices going up 25 to 40% and hard drive prices staying 60% to expencive i cant afford a new body anyway nore the hard drive spae to store video so ill stick to my 450d.

to bad as im really really interested in macro video but it will have to wait another 5 years or so...

on top of that the 650d is also about 270 euro more expencive at release then the 600d was so canon is going the wrong way with its pricing...
they should be ging down a bit but they go up 30+% on average instead...
its about time the chinese start copying more then just lens hoods and filters so the prices of camera gear starts dropping this stuff is way way overprised.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:16:39 AM by hutjeflut »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »

Because the 5D Mark 2 is a 3.5 year old camera. It isn't new and it isn't compatible with Canon's newer accessories.

For example, the 5D mark 2 does not hook up to the new GPS adapter.

Secondly, the sensor is old. A newer sensor would allow PDAF with (for example) the 40/2.8 IS STM in live view.

Need I continue?

D_Rochat

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
Stone, I prefaced my comment because you can't detect tone over the Internet and I thought that my comment might come across rude if I didn't try to explain. If I truly wnted to be a d*ck about it, I wouldn't have bothered. I don't know you or your experience with this equipment and I think it's a legit question. Until I used something other than a Rebel myself, I don't think I fully understood the benefits the xxD since they used the same sensor. No need to get bent out of shape over it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2012, 10:45:26 AM »
Stone, I prefaced my comment because you can't detect tone over the Internet and I thought that my comment might come across rude if I didn't try to explain. If I truly wnted to be a d*ck about it, I wouldn't have bothered. I don't know you or your experience with this equipment and I think it's a legit question. Until I used something other than a Rebel myself, I don't think I fully understood the benefits the xxD since they used the same sensor. No need to get bent out of shape over it.

I get where you're coming from - when I bought the 400D in january 2007, the salesman tried to upsell me to the 40D but I didn't see the point.  I saw it as being more money for much the same thing.  It was a good way of starting though, and by May I had the original 5D.  It wasn't until I started to really use different functions and experiment that I started to get to know the differences between cameras was more than just about mp.

Ayelike

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »

Because the 5D Mark 2 is a 3.5 year old camera. It isn't new and it isn't compatible with Canon's newer accessories.

For example, the 5D mark 2 does not hook up to the new GPS adapter.

Secondly, the sensor is old. A newer sensor would allow PDAF with (for example) the 40/2.8 IS STM in live view.

Need I continue?

Interesting points, Dilbert but it still feels to me like a lot of work and cost to Canon to fill an awkward gap in the line up that perhaps doesn't really need filling... or at least may disappear in a year or so when the 5D3 price starts to drop or the 7D2 comes up from the rear.

Although the 5D2 is getting on a bit the IQ does still fits between the 7D and 5D3. Just my thoughts anyway and you're of course entitled to your own. I do however think compatibility with the latest accessories is a valid reason to end the line... or at least push out a firmware update.

Out of interest, if I ask you to go on do you really have anything else to add or were you just attempting to put me down? I'm genuinely interested in what people expect from a new FF camera that sits below the 5D3. If I was Canon I'd worry about releasing a purposefully lackluster FF camera that would be compared to the Nikon D800 as the price wouldn't be too far off.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:05:22 AM by Ayelike »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »