August 28, 2014, 07:13:48 PM

Author Topic: 4 More DSLRs Coming in 2012? [CR2]  (Read 36183 times)

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 4 More DSLRs Coming in 2012? [CR2]
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »
Why would Low Budget full frame buyers buy High-Dollar L-glass? Seems likely they would buy a 5D3 if they had L-glass money.

Not necessarily. I own a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II and a Rebel T3i. Bought the 70-200mm practically new on CL for $1700 with intent to sell it for more, but decided not to after seeing how FREAKING AWESOME it is.

The 5D3 is waaay too expensive but a sub-$2000 full frame is of great interest to me, whether it's a new body or a price-dropped MK2. Anything I can use to take advantage of my L glass without hitting my wallet too hard.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »
that would be the "entry level FF".  If Canon doesn't release a competitor to the D600 (if it meets the rumored specs), they are going to get crushed in the DSLR market for most enthusiasts and many pros, I think.

Pros will get the 5d3 or 1dx anyway, and enthusiasts are enthusiasts because they don't exactly care about the price tag. Another poster correctly pointed out that even the 5d3 price tag is tiny in comparison to what people shell out to get L lenses & Canon flashes.

We still have to see what the d600 is really like and how it performs in real world situations - if it's severely limited except for the sensor, Canon might be better off releasing a very good 70d, just phase out the 5d2 and then let the 5d3 price drop during the next year. Then the d600 will meet a proven, firmware-debugged 5d3 with magic lantern @$2500.

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »
Using a 1D-class body for the big megapixel camera would be insanely stupid, an open invitation for Canon studio and landscape photographers to buy a Nikon D800. The only thing worse than selling a low end camera that cannibalizes your high end camera sales is to have the damage done by a competitor's low end camera.

So, the D800 is 'low end' becasue it doesn't have integrated grip? Fascinating.
There is also the difference in price between the D800 and 1Dx, but you already knew that, didn't you? Does the phrase "willfully misunderstand" mean anything to you?

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2012, 10:52:16 PM »
I totally agree with you and wishing for this. Give me a 5D Mark III without video and I'd be SUPER happy. It might even have better FPS too...

How about a FF entry with no Video, you know to keep the price down, something for the purist photographers for a changeā€¦. 650D is good enough for those wanting to do video

Let the fire and brimstone begin  :P ;D hehehe
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2012, 12:15:51 AM »
Four new DSLRs ??? !

Am I the only one who thinks that this is nuts?
(Sorry, haven't gone through all posts in this thread.)

It's very likely that the mirrorless models will come as a pair - a basic one and a premium one (like Nikon's V1 and J1).
There's is also a (slight) chance for a 60D replacement at Photokina. But that's about it.

The 7D is getting a firmware update. So, certainly no 7DII this year. Maybe next year - or never.
The 5DII is Canon's entry level FF right now. So, no new 'entry level' FF this year either.

The 1DX is not even on sale yet, nine months after announcement. And yet, people are talking about a 1DsX.
Not happening this year, that's for sure.

So, for the remaining year, we'll get two mirrorless models and possibly a 70D.
This makes a total of one DSLR, not four.
And this DSLR, the 70D, is more likely to be announced early next year, not this year.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:59:12 AM by x-vision »

D_Rochat

« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2012, 01:09:50 AM »
The only certainty is that none of us no what the hell we are talking about. If 1+ year ago someone had mentioned that the 1DsIII and 1DIV would merge into a 1DX, that person would have been called an idiot and flamed beyond belief. The armchair Canon executives can speculate all they want on what Canon will or won't do, but no one really knows. We can hope and dream, but that's it.

I would like to see a Canon mirrorless similar to the Olympus OM-D. That thing and a 17mm (34mm equivalent) would make a great little street camera

briansquibb

« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2012, 01:22:42 AM »
I have interest ,but would be fine with an optional grip, even with the (lack of) weather sealing that is implied.  The option to go either way would be attractive.
This.

Why do they even have to make the 1D size cameras? This makes them completely unattractive for me and others who NEVER want to have the extra size and bulk of a griped body.

A 1 series is LIGHTER than the 5DIII with a grip

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2012, 01:22:42 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »
The only certainty is that none of us no what the hell we are talking about. If 1+ year ago someone had mentioned that the 1DsIII and 1DIV would merge into a 1DX, that person would have been called an idiot and flamed beyond belief. The armchair Canon executives can speculate all they want on what Canon will or won't do, but no one really knows. We can hope and dream, but that's it.

No, Canon publicly announced a long time ago that the 1Ds and 1D lines would merge.

I at least have been expecting it and I'm not surprised. The only thing that I wasn't expecting was the name change, but really that's nothing.

p.s no != know.

briansquibb

« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2012, 02:23:01 AM »

No, Canon publicly announced a long time ago that the 1Ds and 1D lines would merge.

October 2011 was the first time I remember seeing a press release about the merge

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2012, 02:45:44 AM »

October 2011 was the first time I remember seeing a press release about the merge

The merging of the 1Ds/1D lines has been expected since the 1Ds Mark II when a Canon executive in Europe commented that it was planned.

See here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/Canon-1ds-mkii-p1.shtml
Scroll down to "A Merger".

So yes, a lot of people have been expecting it for a long time.

briansquibb

« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2012, 02:56:37 AM »

The merging of the 1Ds/1D lines has been expected since the 1Ds Mark II when a Canon executive in Europe commented that it was planned.

See here:

So it was rumour/speculation then.

Personally I have never believed that the 1DX was a sucessor to the 1DS. It doesn't come even close, good camera though it might be.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2012, 03:05:43 AM »

See here:

Personally I have never believed that the 1DX was a sucessor to the 1DS. It doesn't come even close, good camera though it might be.

Last I checked, what comes out of the mouths of executives is generally pretty reliable and well above the rank of "rumor".

briansquibb

« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:27 AM »

See here:

Last I checked, what comes out of the mouths of executives is generally pretty reliable and well above the rank of "rumor".

I had 40 years of listening to executives and most of the time all I heard was personal opinion (useless unless from the CEO), words without real meaning, words with a personal agenda, bs or 'facts without foundation'. Off the record comments from an executive to a tester should be taken with a pinch of salt.

How long from the rumour to 'fact' - 8 years?

The 1DX is IMO a replacement for the 1D4 - the 1DS3 was just dumped with the usual executive words around it to avoid upsetting the studio shooters

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:27 AM »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2012, 04:12:21 AM »

I had 40 years of listening to executives and most of the time all I heard was personal opinion (useless unless from the CEO), words without real meaning, words with a personal agenda, bs or 'facts without foundation'. Off the record comments from an executive to a tester should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The 1DX is IMO a replacement for the 1D4 - the 1DS3 was just dumped with the usual executive words around it to avoid upsetting the studio shooters

Alternatively, you could even view the 5DIII as the replacement for the 1DsIII.  That is assuming that a studio camera doesn't need top of the line weather sealing, and considering how the 5DII cannibalised sales of the 1DsIII.  Of course, that does not suit everybody...
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

briansquibb

« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2012, 04:17:33 AM »

Alternatively, you could even view the 5DIII as the replacement for the 1DsIII.  That is assuming that a studio camera doesn't need top of the line weather sealing, and considering how the 5DII cannibalised sales of the 1DsIII.  Of course, that does not suit everybody...

A 5DIII with grips could be used in the studio in the same way a 5DII would be.

However the IQ of the 5DII is not as good as the 1DS3 .....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2012, 04:17:33 AM »