Gear Talk > Lenses

EF-S 18-135mm IS STM vs EF 28-135mm IS

(1/3) > >>

xtaski:
I use the Canon EF 28-135mm IS for my "everyday" lens and it's been fine for me. However, I see there's a new EF-S 18-135mm which would give me a wider shot and probably reduce my need for the Tokina ultra wide lens I often have to carry around with me. Any thoughts on this new EF-S lens relative to the older 28-135mm - I'm considering making a switch and would appreciate any input.

KreutzerPhotography:
I have owned a 28-135 (50d Kit) since Jan 2010 and it has been a faithful lens. If you are looking for a wider lens I would reccommend the 17-55mm... no use in buying two lenses that have the same focal range. I have shot with the 60d (18-135 kit) and found very sharp images (good light and little fringing) but saw nothing too impressive. I would still prefer my 28-135 over the 18-135...

xtaski:
My plan was to sell my 28-135mm and my Tokina 12-24 and just go with the one, 18-135mm instead. I have little need for the 12-18mm range anyway, but 28mm is too much indoors with the crop factor.

You'd keep your 28? What makes you say that - just curious about your thought process.

KreutzerPhotography:
I hardly use my 28-135 any longer it is a backup lens... (havnt had it mounted in a year probly) but was not entirely impressed by the 18-135...

Might be that it is EF-S and I have a lot of reservations about EF-S. (although I am getting FF VERY soon)

I didn't hate the lens so I wont reccommend away from it but the two lens setup seems better anyway. Just my opinion.

Try to find one to borrow or rent... Try it and make ur decision... the 28-135 doesnt sell for much anymore... just too many of them around...

xtaski:
BTW, I'm referring to the new EF-S 18-135mm IS STM Canon just recently announced with the T4i, which as I understand it has new, better optics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version