July 30, 2014, 10:20:08 PM

Author Topic: Focus screen for 1dx.  (Read 3378 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Focus screen for 1dx.
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »
Canon website lists EC_CV as the focusing screen for 1dx which will help for macro work.

Will it be also the screen to buy for manuel focusing lenses like Zeiss etc? Also do these focusing screens make photography with auto focus lenses any tougher than the default screen?

Any help is appreciated.

Sanjay

canon rumors FORUM

Focus screen for 1dx.
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »

Erik S. Klein

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Focus screen for 1dx.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
I'd bet no, but I haven't used one so I don't know for sure.

For my 5D2 I use the Eg-D precision focus screen for wider aperature lenses like the 85L and I suspect that a version of that will be available for the 1Dx in time, if not immediately.

The screens don't impact autofocus at all, but they do change the visuals you'll see.  The Eg-D appears at least one stop darker when looking through the viewfinder, for instance.

hollybush

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 03:21:20 AM »
The screen which most preferred for Zeiss on earlier 1 series cameras was the Ec-S. That's the one I use with Zeiss.

While you can still fit it to the 1DX, it is no longer supported in firmware. This means the camera will not meter correctly with it.

See page 327 of the (leaked) manual.

You will have to wait to find out whether it is possible to manually focus an f/2 lens with the 1DX's stock screen, other than using the electronic focus confirmation. It was not with the 1DS Mark III's stock screen. Electronic focus confirmation worked but many found that ergonomically less convenient than the Ec-S.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:18:17 AM »
While you can still fit it to the 1DX, it [the Ec-S] is no longer supported in firmware. This means the camera will not meter correctly with it.

Honestly, this sucks.  Interchangeable focus screens is a pretty big differentiator for the 1D X from the 5DIII for those who manually focus with fast primes, and that advantage is gone with the loss of support for the Ec-S.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
The best manual focus screen is the Ec-B.
Is it supported by the 1DX?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:30:09 PM by TTMartin »
Tom

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »
The best manual focus screen is the Ec-B.
Is it supported by the 1DX?

Yes, the Ec-B is supported (although IIRC it precludes center spot metering and evaluative metering with the center point selected).  But I disagree that it's 'the best manual focus screen'.  It only provides focus assistance in the center of the frame. With an f/4 or f/5.6 lens, focus-recompose is fine, but with a fast prime (my usual choice when wanting to MF), focus-recompose means a back-focused shot, due to basic geometry.  The -S super precision screens show the true DoF across the frame and give a 'snap into focus' effect with fast lenses like my 85L II and 135L - that makes it better, IMO, because I rarely want the focal point dead-center in the frame.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »
Yes, the Ec-B is supported (although IIRC it precludes center spot metering and evaluative metering with the center point selected).  But I disagree that it's 'the best manual focus screen'.  It only provides focus assistance in the center of the frame. With an f/4 or f/5.6 lens, focus-recompose is fine, but with a fast prime (my usual choice when wanting to MF), focus-recompose means a back-focused shot, due to basic geometry.  The -S super precision screens show the true DoF across the frame and give a 'snap into focus' effect with fast lenses like my 85L II and 135L - that makes it better, IMO, because I rarely want the focal point dead-center in the frame.

Very good points. I had -S screen on my 50D and a -B screen on my 1N. I didn't manual focus much with the 50D. My 7D doesn't have interchangeable screens, so good thing the autofocus system is good on it. Except for that occasional loose nut on the shutter button.
Tom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »
While you can still fit it to the 1DX, it is no longer supported in firmware. This means the camera will not meter correctly with it.

I wonder why Canon has chosen to do this.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »
While you can still fit it to the 1DX, it [the Ec-S] is no longer supported in firmware. This means the camera will not meter correctly with it.

Honestly, this sucks.  Interchangeable focus screens is a pretty big differentiator for the 1D X from the 5DIII for those who manually focus with fast primes, and that advantage is gone with the loss of support for the Ec-S.
I have to say that brightscreen you recomended for the 5Dmk2 is pretty awesome, It kills the EG-S screen :D

I wonder if katzeyes will do one for the 5D3 and 1Dx like they do for the 7D?
APS-H Fanboy

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 04:17:14 AM »
Has anyone used a brightscreen on his/her 5D3?
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

hollybush

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 04:19:28 AM »
I wonder why Canon has chosen to do this.

I don't see it as an attempt to shut out Zeiss. They go so far as to point out in the manual that you can selectively disable the peripheral illumination and chromatic aberration corrections per lens, quoting the usefulness with third party lenses.

Maybe it's cluelessness.

Maybe there is an Ec-S II in preparation, with the correct AF area marked or no AF area marked, and better than the old one.

I wonder if katzeyes will do one for the 5D3 and 1Dx like they do for the 7D?

I can't see the point. I don't want to lose spot metering and walk around with a table of exposure corrections for centre-weighted:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Canon-7D-Focusing-Screen--prod_7D.html

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
my bright screen has the prism and i havent noticed any adverse problems relating to exposure all i use on the 5Dmk2 is centerpoint and spot metering
APS-H Fanboy

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »
Thank you guys for the help

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »