November 01, 2014, 07:15:12 AM

Author Topic: Looking for backup camera body  (Read 1461 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Looking for backup camera body
« on: June 14, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »
Well I would like to have a backup camera body, and I currently shoot with both the 5D Mark III and 1D Mark IV.  There is someone that has offered me his 1Ds Mark III that was his backup body (he pre-ordered the 1D X) for $4000.  It wasn't used much because his backup wasn't used much, maybe has 5-7k actuations.  He did send it to Canon to have it refurbished, which it is.  Well, I'm not sure it is worth it.  I can get a 5D Mark II for 2k that I wouldn't use as much as my current cameras, but I've never even used a 1Ds series camera.  Would it be woth it?  What can the 1Ds III do that say, the 5D Mark III and II can't?  Thanks for any input.

P.S.  I can afford it but the issue is whether it is worth it or necessary.  Ah maybe I should just sell my 1D Mark IV and get a 1D X :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

Looking for backup camera body
« on: June 14, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »

STEMI_RN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for backup camera body
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 02:54:41 AM »
What kind of stuff do you shoot?
60d, Digital Rebel XT, Mamiya 645, etch-a-sketch.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
In the summer and fall not too much sports, mostly landscape, buildings, and portraits.  We usually do a big trip in the fall somewhere, such as Pennsylvania or New York, and shoot for 5 days.  Winter and spring it's all sports, with minimal landscape and portraits.  Now, god forbid I have to do senior pictures, which could be this fall.  I really haven't enjoyed weddings too much either.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

STEMI_RN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:39:51 AM »
Certainly a decent price for the body, and I think it would work great as a backup. (specs seem to fit nicely between your two main bodies), but I don't know a lot of people who have 3 bodies (especially three of the top models) and use them regularly. I would go for it if the price really isn't an issue for you.  But I also agree with the thought of selling your current body and upgrading to the 1dx.  Tough call really.
60d, Digital Rebel XT, Mamiya 645, etch-a-sketch.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »
There is someone that has offered me his 1Ds Mark III that was his backup body for $4000. 

Rather than a 1Ds3 for $4000 I'd way prefer to see you with another 5D3 with BG-E11 for a couple of hundred dollars less. It's new and will have full warranty. The 1Ds3 does have the 1-Series handling advantages, but will lose out in a big way on IQ, AF and ISO. You know this already as you have a 5D3.

I've always liked working with two identical bodies. There is no mental shift required when you move from one to the other.

PW

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:08:43 AM »
There is someone that has offered me his 1Ds Mark III that was his backup body for $4000. 

Rather than a 1Ds3 for $4000 I'd way prefer to see you with another 5D3 with BG-E11 for a couple of hundred dollars less. It's new and will have full warranty. The 1Ds3 does have the 1-Series handling advantages, but will lose out in a big way on IQ, AF and ISO. You know this already as you have a 5D3.

I've always liked working with two identical bodies. There is no mental shift required when you move from one to the other.

PW

That makes way more sense.  I was thinking the 5D Mark III was actually better than the 1Ds Mk III in that it is 5 years newer, higher ISO, Digic 5, etc.  Thanks for the tip.  I suppose too I could wait for the 1DX to be out awhile, but if I got a 1DX I'd definitely sell the 1D4.  But a second 5D Mk III with grip sounds better really, because I really am pleased with the way the 5D Mk III is working out for me.  Thanks guys.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
I think I will go for second 5D Mk III body with the battery grip.  Instead of buying a 1D X then, because I'll have 2 Mk III's and still a 1D4, the money I saved for the 1DX will go towards a 200mm f/2L lens.  Oh so looking forward to this!  I think having two Mk III's will help immensely for weddings.  Thanks for the advice.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »