October 21, 2014, 12:51:43 AM

Author Topic: So Nikon D600 is real after all  (Read 14309 times)

weekendshooter

Re: So Nikon D600 is real after all
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 04:54:31 AM »
Looks pretty close to the specs of the 5DIII to me

i wonder what sensor? the D3x? that one had great dynamic range, much better than the 5D3, although the high ISO won't be as good as the 5D3 (from what I recall, vaguely, from DxO)

Brand-new 24mp Sony Exmor sensor, to be shared with the upcoming Sony A99 flagship. Expect D800-level performance at 24mp. This is definitely going to break new ground; can't wait to see what Canon has up its sleeve!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 04:54:31 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 04:59:35 AM »
Looks pretty close to the specs of the 5DIII to me

i wonder what sensor? the D3x? that one had great dynamic range, much better than the 5D3, although the high ISO won't be as good as the 5D3 (from what I recall, vaguely, from DxO)

Brand-new 24mp Sony Exmor sensor, to be shared with the upcoming Sony A99 flagship. Expect D800-level performance at 24mp. This is definitely going to break new ground; can't wait to see what Canon has up its sleeve!

Yup, Canon won't be able to keep the 5DII as an "entry level" DSLR for very much longer.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 05:06:46 AM »
If Canon had a better sensor we would already have seen it in the 5D3, I guess?

Astro

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 05:08:07 AM »

well lets hope it has something up it´s sleeve.
something that can compete in terms of price and sensor quality.

i wonder how hard it is to compete with nikons price.
canon does the R&D for sensors, nikon is buying sensors from sony.

question is.. is sony producing way more sensors then canon so the cost for single sensor is lower?

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 05:10:09 AM »

question is.. is sony producing way more sensors then canon so the cost for single sensor is lower?

Or they just have a better, more cost-efficient, technology :)

studio1972

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Sarah McDonnell Wedding Photography
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 05:22:02 AM »
Does look pretty sweet, its even got a top panel LCD. Reading the spec list, it's also meant to have weather sealing!? How are they pulling it off? obviously it won't be top notch weather sealing, maybe a bit behind or equal to a 7D but the whole package is looking very appealing to me as I'v wanted FF for ages and was going to settle on a 5Dmkii and put up with the AF. Hmmmmmm...... I could deal with shooting Nikon and Canon.

I doubt weather sealing costs more than a few pennies to add, unless it's 'drop it in the bath and it's ok' weather sealing.

And the rumoured prices always seem to be miles off, so I wouldn't pay much attention to that. If it's a new sensor it will put a lot of pressure on the 5D3 price, if it's the old D3x sensor, not so much!
Cheshire & Wirral Wedding Photographer

http://sarahmcdonnell.co.uk

Astro

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 05:30:21 AM »
I doubt weather sealing costs more than a few pennies to add, unless it's 'drop it in the bath and it's ok' weather sealing.

And the rumoured prices always seem to be miles off, so I wouldn't pay much attention to that. If it's a new sensor it will put a lot of pressure on the 5D3 price, if it's the old D3x sensor, not so much!

the rumored price for the D800 was spot on the last time.

the problem is canon prices seem to be way of these days because canon is always more expensive then expected (5D MK3, 24-70mm).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 05:30:21 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 05:51:53 AM »
only 9 cross points, who knows if AF works as well

But they didn't say up to what aperture these cross points work and how they're spread - the limitation of the 5d3/1dx af system is that pattern recognition gets worse when a slower lens is used, so maybe Nikon with a more prosumer-oriented model may have more love for f5.6 lenses.

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 05:58:37 AM »
Does look pretty sweet, its even got a top panel LCD. Reading the spec list, it's also meant to have weather sealing!? How are they pulling it off? obviously it won't be top notch weather sealing, maybe a bit behind or equal to a 7D but the whole package is looking very appealing to me as I'v wanted FF for ages and was going to settle on a 5Dmkii and put up with the AF. Hmmmmmm...... I could deal with shooting Nikon and Canon.

They could be losing money on it and recouping it with fx lenses sold. Just one hypothesis I guess. I mean, it would be a good way to get people to buy into their system. I am interested for one.

Yeah, it'll probably work out quite nicely for them. Once you've got the camera, you start reading up on lenses and become more familiar with them. Then you end up with a couple and get comfortable with the whole system. Before you know it, you're selling a bit of your old canon gear to pay for nikon stuff.

I originally bought canon because I perfered the erganomics and feel, the nikon I tried at the time [can't remember which model, 6 years ago] felt horrible in my hands. However, I tried a D7000 in a local store and it felt pretty good. The build was solid and button access and placement was nice too.

Think i'll wait until both 'entry FF's' are out, check out the reviews and buy the better camera regardless of brand.

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 06:12:06 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Any reports on this?
I was thinking they might use might use a cheaper sensor: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/30/rumor-aptina-developing-a-new-full-frame-cmos-sensor-for-nikon.aspx/

Seems odd that sony would give nikon their flagship sensor for a budget model, but then again if nikon are paying for it then its up to them how they use it I guess....

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 06:22:11 AM »
This sounds like a nice Camera, I don't have a lot invested in canon equipment, but it makes one scratch there head if they can give all their bodies 39PT AF and weather sealing etc, for a reasonable price compared to canon.  Makes me think the old days when Jaguar cars where more expensive than say a Mercedes but were still just a ford Taurus underneath.
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 06:25:26 AM »
Seems odd that sony would give nikon their flagship sensor for a budget model, but then again if nikon are paying for it then its up to them how they use it I guess....

It isn't if they're out to get Canon once they think they've found a weak spot in the capability of a main competitor. Nikon & Sony have different traditions and user bases thus they would be ok to go along for a while, but they would both profit from hurting Canon.

Jettatore

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 06:39:17 AM »
Interesting.  Nikon's strategy is starting to become clear.  They are listening to all users, and all users never agree.  Rather than go after the larger base, the majority, they are going after the portion of users that aren't getting their way so to speak with new product releases - that haven't been done yet by either side.  Smart move.  Canon should take notice, will make it pretty easy to figure out where Nikon will go. 

Most users say they don't care about high-MP but a vehement minority base insist on it.  Well, Canon went with the majority, Nikon fills the void for the minority.  Somewhat similar here about a minority asking for a cheaper, entry level DSLR, and somewhat wisely, Nikon was listening and went ahead and made it.  I could be on to something here or I could just need coffee....  I don't know..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 06:39:17 AM »

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 06:41:56 AM »
1) OP has to learn to post in the right forums. this is not EOS bodies rummors material.

2) off course it is real. nikonrumors.com had all but confirmed it. As a side note, Nikon's current (non discontinued) full frame line up is impressive
covering 12-36 MP and 6 models. No other camera maker in the world offers such vast full frame lineup.

this won't be a D3x sensor. you can't extrapolate anything. If it is the D800 technology at lower MP, then it will be really really good in low light and DR.

Interesting.  Nikon's strategy is starting to become clear.  They are listening to all users, and all users never agree.  Rather than go after the larger base, the majority, they are going after the portion of users that aren't getting their way so to speak with new product releases - that haven't been done yet by either side.  Smart move.  Canon should take notice, will make it pretty easy to figure out where Nikon will go. 

what are you talking about. the "larger" base wasn't asking for a 3500 dollar camera. the "larger" base wants cheaper bodies to spend the money on glass instead. the "larger" base wants choice, not choices made for them.
IMO the more nikon models they produce, the more "larger" audience they will get specially if it is as affordable as rumors say.

Most users say they don't care about high-MP but a vehement minority base insist on it.  Well, Canon went with the majority, Nikon fills the void for the minority
That's categorically untrue. Canon will have a high MP body and a low MP body. So will nikon. There isn't such "majority" tunning as you claim, just different needs and different time lines for both companies.

they both know they need both things or risk losing customers to the other. And if the majority doesn't want an affordable camera, then the majority just have turned into a minority  ::)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:51:18 AM by psolberg »

Astro

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 06:45:51 AM »
Most users say they don't care about high-MP but a vehement minority base insist on it.  Well, Canon went with the majority, Nikon fills the void for the minority.  Somewhat similar here about a minority asking for a cheaper, entry level DSLR, and somewhat wisely, Nikon was listening and went ahead and made it.  I could be on to something here or I could just need coffee....  I don't know..

a forum as this one gives no realistic view about the customers at all.
sure not a realistic view about the majority of customers.

on forums like this one are mostly professionells or ambitious amateurs.
there are millions of customers who never visit a forum like this one.

from my real life experience (outside the internet) a cheap (affordable) FF camera is what many photographers want.

and no.. a 4 year old 5D MK2 is not a real competition to a brand new nikon modell.
canon has to deliver or many new DSLR user will buy nikon this year.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:51:12 AM by Astro »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 06:45:51 AM »