September 17, 2014, 01:28:55 AM

Author Topic: So Nikon D600 is real after all  (Read 13927 times)

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: So Nikon D600 is real after all
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 06:54:28 AM »
from my real life experience (outside the internet) a cheap (affordable) FF camera is what many photographers want.

EXACTLY. Who wakes up in the morning and says "...if I could only buy a more expensive DSLR today than yesterday!"

camera bodies are like a car. they devaluate instantly and become obsolete shortly. they come with ridiculous capabilities few need and demand killer prices.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 06:54:28 AM »

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 06:58:39 AM »
Seems odd that sony would give nikon their flagship sensor for a budget model, but then again if nikon are paying for it then its up to them how they use it I guess....

It isn't if they're out to get Canon once they think they've found a weak spot in the capability of a main competitor. Nikon & Sony have different traditions and user bases thus they would be ok to go along for a while, but they would both profit from hurting Canon.

I guess so but if thats the strategy then sony had better be careful because once/if nikon gained some market share from canon with this camera, then there's nothing to stop them from getting sensors for the next one elsewhere, leaving sony high and dry.
It does seem a partnership like this [sony making money on sensors and having a small market share, being no threat to nikon / nikon having the bigger market share] is beneficial to both parties tho. I wonder how long it will last?

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 07:15:15 AM »
I wonder how long it will last?

As long as both are profiting from it.

If Sony can afford to sell so many sensors to Nikon, it means they have the production capabilities to do so. If they stop selling sensors to Nikon, their factories will have to diminish production, and it costs a lot to mantain a production plant which is not working at full potential. They would turn profits into losses, which is something they hardly will do. Differently from Canon and Nikon, Sony is not a photography-based company. They don't have so much a problem as Canikon to be market leader in the photography environment. They have their share, plus, they enjoy easy incomes from selling sensors to Nikon.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 07:17:08 AM »
so i have all that nice canon glas.
but when i want to buy a FF camera i have to spend 3500 euro or buy 4 year old technology for 1800 euro.

mhm..... don´t get me wrong but the nikon lineup looks better from day to day when the rumored specs and price is correct.

if i would buy my first DSLR today... im not sure it would be a canon.

i will wait for photokina and what canon will do.
i am not buying more glas right now as im not sure if i will stick to canon.
and that´s sad.... im a canon user since the 1980s.

the 5D MK3 offers me (your mileage may vary) nothing that would let me justify the price.

i really hope canon will come up with something that excites me.
and what excites me more then video or AF improvements is.... IMAGE QUALITY.

i prefer low ISO performance over high ISO performance.
i rarely shoot above ISO 1600 and i use a tripod whenever possible.

to be honest the D800 would be better for me then the 5D MK3. 
i don´t need such a high MP count.. but if you get such quality from the D800 sensor (something i did not believe) why not?
still i would prefer around 28MP and a bit more speed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:39:26 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 07:45:18 AM »
by the way:

Got two new, hot rumors. From reliable sources (can’t name them, can just confirm they are indeed reliable) is told that the EOS 70D (expected in September for Photokina) will move upmarket regarding features (note: I got a similar rumor at the end of May, but it was about the 7D2). Following the rumor, the EOS 70D should replace both the EOS 7D and the EOS 60D, becoming the top model of Canon’s APS-C line-up. An EOS 70D with more pro features, better construction and increased performance. That would mean that Canon is putting the x0D line-up under a new light, after having split the line with the 60D (which wasn’t really the follower of the EOS 50D) and the 7D (which, in some sense, took the X0D heritage).

But it’s getting even hotter. The EOS 7D Mark II (also expected for Photokina) is said (by my source) to be Canon’s rumoured entry-level full-frame camera!! It may sound somewhat strange that the next iteration of the 7D line will change the sensor type (bigger), but it is not entirely in the domain of absurdities. On the other hand, the 5D series has always been Canon’s full-frame line. If the 7D Mark II will be a FF camera, that would mean that Canon is introducing a new FF line-up, or that the 7D2 will be aggregated to the 5D line (sounds a little weird). Whatever, we only can wait, and conjecture.

Have a nice day (or night), wherever you are.

http://www.canonwatch.com/

a 7D as entry level FF camera would make sense.
i always wondered why canon used "7D" as name for an APS-C camera.

it would avoid a "3D" modell name for the new entry level FF and split the lineup in APS-C (xxxxD, xxxD xxD) and FF models (xD)

3D would not fit because of the usual meaning of "3D" and you would think it sits between the 1D and 5D.
9D for the entry level FF would put it behind the 7D... and im not sure that is what canon wants.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:07:49 AM by Canon-F1 »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
If it's true... why not just call it 6D?

It's puzzling to turn a top APS-C into an entry-level FF while retaining the name. They're so different cameras.

Anyway, Canon's problem are sensors and pricing. Until they catch up in this regard, they can release even 12 cameras per year, it will make no difference. It's impossible to face competitor cameras if they are both better and cheaper.

Canon used to have the best glass and this could make a difference in the choice, but Nikon and 3rd-parties are catching up a lot lately.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »
If it's true... why not just call it 6D?

It's puzzling to turn a top APS-C into an entry-level FF while retaining the name. They're so different cameras.

because it is better to fix an error then repeat it. :)

they could just drop the 7D and call the new FF 6D, sure, but i was talking about this specific rumor.

as is wrote... for me it was an error from the beginning to call the camera 7D.

sure it could be a bit confusing first for those who know the original 7D was an APS-C camera....  but in the end the lineup would be straight and clear.

APS-C = xxxxD, xxxD xxD
Fullframe= xD

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:56:45 AM by Canon-F1 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 08:56:26 AM »

and no.. a 4 year old 5D MK2 is not a real competition to a brand new nikon modell.
canon has to deliver or many new DSLR user will buy nikon this year.

Thank you Astro, someone else who agree's with me, I feel like everyone else sometimes is Idiots, because they spent 2+ grand in the past 6 months on a 5D2 that there is no way canon would release something better for less money.      I don't care who you are or what business your in.... once your competitor starts putting out a better or similar product for less money your are screwed if you don't do the same.     Look at Sony, King of the LCD TV market for about a decade, made the best quality TV's but other brands caught up in terms of features and prices came down now to the point where Sony lost so much market share they are leaving the TV business. 

Canon WAKE UP
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

DArora

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
1) OP has to learn to post in the right forums. this is not EOS bodies rummors material.

I'm really sorry about that. I made the post in hurry and didn't realize that I'm posting it in wrong section. I request mods to please move this thread to appropriate section.

And about camera, I can't wait later than August so if this Nikon D600 comes out by that time and canon doesn't show anything, I might just buy Nikon.

7D as new entry level make sense and it will be great.

Regards,
Deepanshu
My Flickr Photostream
My Indiegogo Fundraising Campaign
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:50:22 AM by DArora »

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »

and no.. a 4 year old 5D MK2 is not a real competition to a brand new nikon modell.
canon has to deliver or many new DSLR user will buy nikon this year.

Thank you Astro, someone else who agree's with me, I feel like everyone else sometimes is Idiots, because they spent 2+ grand in the past 6 months on a 5D2 that there is no way canon would release something better for less money.      I don't care who you are or what business your in.... once your competitor starts putting out a better or similar product for less money your are screwed if you don't do the same.     Look at Sony, King of the LCD TV market for about a decade, made the best quality TV's but other brands caught up in terms of features and prices came down now to the point where Sony lost so much market share they are leaving the TV business. 

Canon WAKE UP

LOL, Apple says hi and makes your opinion null. Canon will do just fine.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

Orion

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »
I need help understanding something:

IF the rumored D400 specs are true, and the camera sells for $1800, WTF is the point of spending 3500 on a 5DmkIII??????

D400/D600 specs (same question with rumored 7DmkII FF)

Sensor: 24.2 MP DX CMOS, 3.82µ pixel pitch (same as on the D3200)
 Sensor Size: 23.2 x 15.4mm
 Resolution: 6,016 × 4,000
 Native ISO Sensitivity: 100-6,400
 Boost Low ISO Sensitivity: 50
 Boost High ISO Sensitivity: 12,800-25,600
 Processor: EXPEED 3
 Metering System: 3D Color Matrix Meter III with face recognition and a database of 30,000 images
 Dust Reduction: Yes
 Weather Sealing/Protection: Yes
 Body Build: Full Magnesium Alloy
 White Balance: New White Balance System
 Shutter: Up to 1/8000 and 30 sec exposure
 Shutter Durability: 200,000 cycles, self-diagnostic shutter
 Camera Lag: 0.012 seconds
 Storage: 1x CF slot and 1x SD slot
 Viewfinder Coverage: 100%
 Viewfinder Magnification: 0.94x Approx.
 Speed: 8 FPS, 9 FPS with optional battery pack and Nikon D4 or alkaline batteries
 Exposure Meter: 91,000 pixel RGB sensor
 Built-in Flash: Yes, with Commander Mode, full CLS compatibility
 Autofocus System: Advanced Multi-CAM 3500DX with 51 focus points and 15 cross-type sensors
 AF Detection: Up to f/8 with 9 focus points (5 in the center, 2 on the left and right)
 LCD Screen: 3.2 inch diagonal with 921,000 dots
 Movie Modes: Full 1080p HD @ 30 fps max
 Movie Exposure Control: Full
 Movie Recording Limit: 30 minutes @ 30p, 20 minutes @ 24p
 Movie Output: MOV, Compressed and Uncompressed
 In-Camera HDR Capability: Yes
 Two Live View Modes: One for photography and one for videography
 Camera Editing: Lots of in-camera editing options with HDR capabilities
 GPS: Not built-in, requires GP-1 GPS unit
 Battery Type: EN-EL15
 Battery Life: ~900 shots
 USB Standard: 3.0
 Weight: 800g (body only)
 Price: $1,799 MSRP

D600
– 24.7MP Full-Frame Sensor — Could it be more perfect?
 – 5fps, 2 SD card slots– ISO 100-6400 (Lo 50 – Hi 25,600)
 – Built-in AF motor (so AF-S lenses won’t be mandatory)– 1080p at 30, 35, 24 — 720p at 60, 50, 30, 25
 – HDMI output
 – 100% viewfinder coverage for FX, 97% DX
 – Just slightly lighter than the D800 (about 800g v. 900g)
 – Will likely be weather sealed
 – 39 AF Points
 – Could be as cheap as $1500!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:13:49 AM by Orion »

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »
    Look at Sony, King of the LCD TV market for about a decade, made the best quality TV's but other brands caught up in terms of features and prices came down now to the point where Sony lost so much market share they are leaving the TV business. 

Canon WAKE UP

in which planet? Sony is losing money from TV business since 8 straight years, even when they got the largest chunk of the market (2 years of so ago)
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »
I need help understanding something:

IF the rumored D400 specs are true, and the camera sells for $1800, WTF is the point of spending 3500 on a 5DmkIII??????

Eeeerrr... the D400 is an APS-C :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 11:20:17 AM »
    Look at Sony, King of the LCD TV market for about a decade, made the best quality TV's but other brands caught up in terms of features and prices came down now to the point where Sony lost so much market share they are leaving the TV business. 

Canon WAKE UP

in which planet? Sony is losing money from TV business since 8 straight years, even when they got the largest chunk of the market (2 years of so ago)

Take the example of NOKIA. Marketleader for many years and now under pressure because of Apple and Samsung. Things can go fast in the world of technology and the popularity of technology demands of customers. Not good to ignore them....as Nokia by now knows.
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
maybe just maybe if a bunch of canon shooters jump to the dark side, maybe we will see a huge flux of gear up for sale...  =)  sweet. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »