August 01, 2014, 10:19:47 AM

Author Topic: Is the 5DIII the New 50D?  (Read 10058 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Is the 5DIII the New 50D?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
I want to buy a 50D anyone got one they are selling? :D

Oh shut up and just get a 7D :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »
I want to buy a 50D anyone got one they are selling? :D

Oh shut up and just get a 7D :)

people are still asking retarded prices for used 7D's ::)

I want it for some specific timelapse project stuff coming up I dont want to burn through the shutters of my good gear so I'm chasing a decent used 50D to just punch these out,

maybe a 40D but again I think the used market here are on crack with the prices they are chasing

maybe i should just get a new 550D i'm just worried about the buffer on a rebel not keeping up :-\
APS-H Fanboy

jeffabbyben

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »
Wickedwombat-Actually I have an excellent condition low use 50D.  I was going  to trade it in to B&H but they only offered $300.  I figured I would just keep it.  I am now owner of a 5D mark ii and Mark iii (and an old rebel) so don't need the 50D.  Just sayin if you are interested

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »
I think Canon knows exactly what they are doing in Regards to the 5D3's high price point.

At this price level, they aren't really competing with Nikon. The real competition between those brands is with point & shoots and entry level DSLRs.

What they are succeeding in doing is keeping the 5D2 relevant. A $3,000 5D3 would have seriously killed 5D2 sales at a < 1K difference. Wasn't the D700 discontinued?

When the 5D2 is discontinued and sold through, the 5D3 has the potential to come down a bit.

Then Canon can slot in another DSLR below the 5D3.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 02:31:46 AM »
I find the debate between 5DIII Vs D800 pretty funny. Mostly because they're direct competitors and yet they're not. I agree, the have the same position in Canons and nikons lineup, but they're not really the same cameras. Funny thing is that the D800 are the true successor of the 5DII whare the 5DIII are the true successor of the D700, that is very general, but I think for most part it's true.

If you really struggle to decide which camera you want (economic consideration aside), then I'd say you don't know your needs well enough. If you do a lot of landscape, portrait and studio work or you really need to print big (Or if you're just a MP whore, which I guess most of us are to some extent), then go with the D800. If you want a faster AF, burst rate etc. you go with the 5DIII.

I chose the 5DIII, my combo was a 5DII and 7D. I hated the 7D, but it's speed was very welcome when the main body was a 5DII. The 5DIII really does bring the best from those two cameras together and the choice was clear to me. Between the 5DII and 5DIII I got my first kid and the speed suddenly meant a lot more to me than when I bought my 5DII.

So basically I bought the camera I needed, others are better off with a D800, but I actively chose and decided that not only ws the 5DIII the better camera for me, but it was also worth the extra money.

I don't really care if it will go over in history or it will be forgotten in 5 years, the photos I will get with it is what matters to me. Whatever I will be able to sell it for when it needs an upgrade, will show when that time comes, but so far the 5D series have held their resale value pretty well.

This is the smartest thing I've heard in a while.  Totally true...  The 5DMIII is the real successor to the D700!

I have a 50D and love it. I know the 40D is a good camera, but the 50D really isn't enough for a true upgrade. I think that's where the 5DIII is at. If you have a 5DII, wait for the 5DIII to come down in price or wait for the next model.

My question is: now that the 5DMKII street price is about $1800, why come out with an Entry-Level FF?  Give the II the III body shape and slightly improved internals at $2000, I buy that...  If that happens before August. Great. Otherwise, I'll happily be clicking away on the III.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 02:34:23 AM »
I have a 50D and love it. I know the 40D is a good camera, but the 50D really isn't enough for a true upgrade. I think that's where the 5DIII is at. If you have a 5DII, wait for the 5DIII to come down in price or wait for the next model.

50% increase in MP wasnt enough of an upgrade?
AFMA plus the other stuff it got
many might say not getting video wasnt a bad thing either
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 03:13:45 AM »
The 50D was my first DSLR in late 2008, to which I added a used 40D as backup.

I then got a 5Dc as well for weddings

Then upgraded the 5Dc with a 5DII (2010) and the 50D with two 7DII(2010). Wasn't happy with the IQ of the 7D so replaced one with the 1D4 (2011)

I upgraded the 5DII with the 1DS3(2011)

I have found that good L lens meant really good photos. The 40D with the 400 f/2.8 was a real eye opener and started my move to top lens as a priority.

I have had the 24-105 since 2006 and the 135 since 2007

I gave my 40D to a friend earlier this year who is still using it to produce beatifull urban landscapes in Cornwall, UK

Having run the 40D and 50D alongside each other I found that there was little difference in prints to A4 and I would have found it difficult to upgrade to the 50D - I would have waited and then gone to the 7D

The 5Dc to the 5DII upgrade was a no brainer and exactly the right thing to do. However looking at the 5DIII specs there was little that grabbed me to say 'upgrade'. If I hadn't had a 7D/1D4 I might have upgraded for the extra fps - the AF wasn't an issue - I also had a lot of f/2.8 or faster lens which rather benefited the 5DII AF

I have to confess that if I see a good value 5DII with grips I might get it as a backup to the 1DS3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 03:13:45 AM »

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 03:15:50 AM »

50% increase in MP wasnt enough of an upgrade?
AFMA plus the other stuff it got
many might say not getting video wasnt a bad thing either

Nope. I know many 40D owners and they love 'em. For the stuff they shot, it was great.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 04:11:04 AM »
with 300€ i can buy cigarettes for 40 days ;)

Why do you think I've given up smoking? It's a great incentive -just put the money you would have spent into your gear fund!  :)

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
with 300€ i can buy cigarettes for 40 days ;)

Why do you think I've given up smoking? It's a great incentive -just put the money you would have spent into your gear fund!  :)

yes you are right, but i am too weak ;)
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 08:33:15 AM »
If the translucent mirror gives the A99 a frame rate approaching 10fps with 24mp at the rumored price of around $2500 - $2800, then the 5D Mark III becomes even harder to justify at $3499.
Well, the whole EVF v optical viewfinder is still kind of a big deal. I still haven't seen an EVF that makes the camera worth it...both between killing the battery life and making it hard to see in less than ideal conditions (things that matter to full frame users).

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 08:58:15 AM »
If the translucent mirror gives the A99 a frame rate approaching 10fps with 24mp at the rumored price of around $2500 - $2800, then the 5D Mark III becomes even harder to justify at $3499.
Well, the whole EVF v optical viewfinder is still kind of a big deal. I still haven't seen an EVF that makes the camera worth it...both between killing the battery life and making it hard to see in less than ideal conditions (things that matter to full frame users).

Not to meantion the pellicle mirror blocking 1/3 of the light reaching the sensor, so the camera is always going to be at a disadvantage.

Here's a news flash Canon isn't behind in sensor technology. DXOMark is not a reliable source, time and time again, their data doesn't jive with real world output, and often contradicts itself. Case in point, the Canon 5D Mk III matches or outscores the Nikon D800 on the screen scores for ISO Sensitivity, SNR 18%, Tonal Range, and Color Sensitivity, yet for some reason the Nikon D800 has a massive Dynamic Range advantage? My understanding that all of those other scores are necessary components that would give the camera its dynamic range. It just doesn't add up!

Tom

chimpmitten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
As a 50D owner, I would say that yes, for me the 5DIII is (hopefully soon) the new 50D.

The 50D was my introduction to DSLRs and I purchased it along with a 28mm 1.8 and a 85mm 1.8 with the goal of shooting indoor sports (mainly roller derby) and concerts (cramped bars and classical).  It was at the right price point for me and I felt that the frame rate would work well for sports and the silent shooting mode when using live view would work well for the classical concerts.  The fast lenses worked well in the dim lighting, but after about a year I purchased some flashes and soon after the stars aligned and I was able to acquire a 70-200mm 2.8 ii.

When I purchased it the Nikon D90 was another option for me, but after handling both cameras the 50D just felt better.  I could see myself shooting all day with it in my hands, while the Nikon felt cramped.  I had no interest in video at that time so the 50d was a perfect fit.  The new features it had worked great for me and I didn't feel that I was missing out on much at the amount that I was spending.

I've been bumping up against the limitations of the 50D and the 5Diii looks to be a good upgrade for me.  The silent shooting mode through the view finder looks to be a big improvement over using the live view of the 50D.  It has a similar frame rate, but with a much improved auto focus and I can use all of my lenses on full frame.  Plus after just having the weather sealing on the 50D fail on me in the middle of a schutzhund trial the 5D will also be a big improvement in this regard (or I could just learn not to stand in the rain).

The only downside is the cost and that I would want more lenses and the battery grip to go with it.  At the moment probably the new 40mm 2.8 and the 2x iii extender; so that I could have field of views similar to the 28mm and 70-200mm on the 50d.

My 50D did recover from its jaunt in the rain and attached is a 100% crop from one of the photos that almost led to its demise.
50D, 28mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8 II, 430 EX II, 580 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »
Okay, I know this is sure to be controversial, but what the heck.

The differences between the 5DIII and the D800 have been the subject of endless debate on this forum. Now, Nikon seems poised to release a well-equipped D600 at a remarkably low price point if the rumors are true.

The 5DIII reminds me a bit of the 50D. The 50D was a great camera, but kind of a sales flop. It came out just as video was being introduced into DSLRs, but it had no video. Most 40D owners did not choose to update (instead waiting for a 60D that turned out to be the 7D...well I won't get into all that again).

Anyway the point being that there was nothing wrong with the 50D, but that a series of missteps, bad luck and poor timing combined to hurt the camera's sales.

I wonder if something similar is happening with the 5DIII. By all accounts, it is a great camera and seems to be very popular among its target audience: wedding and event photographers. But, will Canon be able to sustain 5DIII sales over the next three to four years? Is it $500 better than the D800? Or, is the D800 actually a slightly better camera at a lower price point? And, will sales fall if Nikon releases an entry-level full frame camera and Canon is forced to respond.

Now, before the Canon lovers and the Canon haters all go ballistic, keep in mind I'm not suggesting this means Canon is stupid or getting any part of its anatomy kicked or anything of the sort. In fact, making mistakes and learning from those mistakes are what makes a great company great. I'm just talking about one model in an entire lineup and suggesting that when we look back four or five years from now, I wonder if the 5DIII will be viewed as great camera that suffered from a series of unfortunate events.

I see your point, but, I really think this topic will need way more time and data to tell the story in full.  For a while, those that were complaining about DR in the mk3 vs the d800 kept bringing the amazon top sellers list, highlighting the fact that the d800 was ahead of the mk3 in sales.

Well, the tables have turned - http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Camera-Photo-Digital-SLR-Cameras/zgbs/photo/3017941

mk3 at the 7 and d800 at 8.  Which is pretty incredible considering that the top six DSLR's in sales at amazon are all under $1100.  The fact that either are putting up these kind of numbers against lower priced consumer grade bodies is quite outstanding.

So while this could be a 'maybe,' we need to see what happens after a full year of these new bodies on the market. 

Remember this too - its not all about the specs.  Think of the free marketing both canon and nikon have - if the world at large see all of our images - us, the people shooting on the gear, and the difference is neglible in terms of IQ to the viewer (sad fact is, a whole lot of our hard work goes right out the window unless your clients are very IQ sensitive.  The standard wedding or portrait client won't be as discerning.  But we won't let that stop us from doing our best to make people say WOW!!!!)....   If the world see's tons of WOW images, and the world see's taken on a mkiii, or d800, or the more generic, canon, nikon...if the world sees great images, the world will think I want a new cam...if the bulk of WOW is nikon, they buy nikon and nikon wins, same for canon.

Sum it up though...I just don't think any of us can make this call this early in the game.  Give it a year, then revisit...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »
Chuck Alaimo,

Basically, I don't think we are in disagreement. Like you, I've been amazed at how well these two cameras (one at $3,000 and one at $3,500) have been selling when compared to much lower priced models. I just checked the Amazon list and both are in the top 50 for all cameras and photo, which includes point and shoots. And, this at a time when the economy is still struggling.

I was simply speculating on the sustainability, given what appear to be some pretty significant market pressures that may be just around the corner (Pressures, by the way, that are self-inflicted by these two companies if they really do elect to release low-cost full frame models.)

I enjoy watching the competitive market work, observing how companies react and trying to guess where the market and companies may go next.  Most product releases are pretty predictable. And, Canon and Nikon have traditionally released products that are remarkably similar at virtually identical price points. The 5DIII and D800 seemed to break that pattern. Did one of the companies make a mistake? Only time will tell. I just enjoy watching and trying to figure it all out.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »