October 01, 2014, 07:28:48 PM

Author Topic: Odds & Ends: 70D, 7D2, New Full Frame, D600 & Photoshop CS6  (Read 55076 times)

benhar

Re: Odds & Ends: 70D, 7D2, New Full Frame, D600 & Photoshop CS6
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2012, 01:13:54 AM »
Stepping back slightly from what has been discussed, Canon urgently needs to provide an viable upgrade path for its current users.  The Rebel DSLRs provided an affordable way for people such as myself to get interested in and then thoroughly addicted to digital photography.  I have had my 550D for near on two years and while I still enjoy using it I am itching to upgrade.  I am sure I am not alone.

The most frustrating aspects of my 550D are the poor low light performance, weak AF, low FPS and small buffer.  Neither the 7D nor the 5Dmkii provide a complete solution to my needs.  The 5Dmkiii does to an extent, but it is hard for me to justify spending that much money.  A 7D with better lowlight would be perfect and if they released it tomorrow I would buy it tomorrow. 

Right now everything between the 650D and the 5Dmkiii is just a bit tired and old.  Whatever it does (7Dmkii, 70D, 6D...whatever) Canon needs to do something quickly because right now it just seems to be floundering.         

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2012, 01:13:54 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2012, 01:22:24 AM »
Right now everything between the 650D and the 5Dmkiii is just a bit tired and old.  Whatever it does (7Dmkii, 70D, 6D...whatever) Canon needs to do something quickly because right now it just seems to be floundering.         

Very true however I think for your particular situation is that its unfortunate for you that the segment of the line where you are most interested in are in the trough of the wave cycle.

what strikes me as strange is how the 5Dmk3 and 650D released very close to each other so there must have been alot of concurrency in the design have ended up with new features in the 650D that are not in the 5Dmk3, or 1Dx.

Would AF in video in the 5Dmk3 made video people happier? perhaps some
quite likely it would have drawn more fire. touchscreen? personally i'm glad the 5Dmk3 didnt get one
but i'm sure many people would like it.

When looking at some of this stuff it makes the planning/ roadmap/ product range design seem quite hap hazard

so while I can see your frustration I guess you can console yourself that whatever gets announced in your area of interest it most likely will inherit some features that much higher end bodies dont have

this happened with the 7D too it got heaps of goodies that the 1D and 5D lines missed out on
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2012, 01:23:12 AM »
Stepping back slightly from what has been discussed, Canon urgently needs to provide an viable upgrade path for its current users.  The Rebel DSLRs provided an affordable way for people such as myself to get interested in and then thoroughly addicted to digital photography.  I have had my 550D for near on two years and while I still enjoy using it I am itching to upgrade.  I am sure I am not alone.

The most frustrating aspects of my 550D are the poor low light performance, weak AF, low FPS and small buffer.  Neither the 7D nor the 5Dmkii provide a complete solution to my needs.  The 5Dmkiii does to an extent, but it is hard for me to justify spending that much money.  A 7D with better lowlight would be perfect and if they released it tomorrow I would buy it tomorrow. 

They announced the 650D recently and there is a CR2 for 4 more cameras this year.

A used 1D3 might be a good option - has everything except large mps - and are going for the price of a 650D

briansquibb

« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2012, 01:28:10 AM »

this happened with the 7D too it got heaps of goodies that the 1D and 5D lines missed out on

What the 1D missed out on cannot have been important as I haven't noticed it. The 1D4 was announced just after the 7D so I suspect it got everything

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2012, 01:34:38 AM »

What the 1D missed out on cannot have been important as I haven't noticed it. The 1D4 was announced just after the 7D so I suspect it got everything

it didnt get a Mfn button :o or the snazy elctro VF thingo where you can turn on grid line and have the elctronic level, no built in flash commander. no IR trigger reciever
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2012, 01:40:56 AM »

it didnt get a Mfn button :o or the snazy elctro VF thingo where you can turn on grid line and have the elctronic level, no built in flash commander. no IR trigger reciever

I have never used those on the 7D  ::) ::) ::)

I can see the benefit of the electronic level

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2012, 01:43:48 AM »
just sayin :P
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2012, 01:43:48 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2012, 01:49:46 AM »

I tend to use the same controls on all the bodies so this little differences get ignored

My brain cant cope with the 'which camera am I using today' analysis  ;D ;D ;D

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2012, 02:12:55 AM »

I tend to use the same controls on all the bodies so this little differences get ignored

yeah try the image review and zooming on any other camera and then swapping to the 5Dmk3 and back

drives one absolutely nuts i tell ya :P
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2012, 02:16:55 AM »

yeah try the image review and zooming on any other camera and then swapping to the 5Dmk3 and back

drives one absolutely nuts i tell ya :P

... and changing iso in flight.

1D4 is set for auto iso, my others aren't

IIRC the 5DIII is different again  ???

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »
I think the logical conclusion to what you are saying is that if you buy APS-C then you are locked into it for life?
Only if you buy EF-S lenses. However, many of us buy EF (L) lenses and those work on FF as well. The advantage of APS-C (and the prosumer/pro 7D) is that you can get a much longer reach.

The "reach" APS-C argument doesn't really belong in the same room with the EF-S lens compatibility argument.  with the possible exception of the bargin zoom, 55-250 or whatever it is, the folks who want "reach" don't buy EF-S long lenses -- they buy long "L" glass,  and after market FF compatible long lenses.

The only practical value to  the EF-S compatibility argument is for the WA and UWAs -- the 10-22s and the 17-55s and the 15-85s  -- where a significant investment has been already made, both in $ and in IQ, that cannot be utilized in FF.  These folks have to either sell their EF-S lenses and re-invest, or keep the old APS-C body.  If one has invested in long EF-S glass, that investment is not very sizable.

Tell that to Canon, they keep making EF-s glass and some of it is expensive! I own some EF-s glass that I wouldn't trade for anything!

D

aside from the three mentioned, what is your total investment in EF-S long glass? what long glass do you reach for when needed?

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »
aside from the three mentioned, what is your total investment in EF-S long glass? what long glass do you reach for when needed?

Who said my EF-s lenses were long reach? They make other EF-s lenses. If I choose to spend any amount of $$$ on ANY lens, regardless of EF or EF-s, you better believe I thought it out first and will use it until it dies!

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »
Who said my EF-s lenses were long reach? They make other EF-s lenses. If I choose to spend any amount of $$$ on ANY lens, regardless of EF or EF-s, you better believe I thought it out first and will use it until it dies!

Which, of course, precludes a shift to exclusive use of a FF camera...

Personally, I had two high-end EF-S lenses - the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS - which I used on my 7D.  After getting a 5DII and 16-35mm f/2.8L II, I sold the 10-22mm.  I use the 7D almost exclusively for birds/wildlife - I think I've mounted the 17-55mm all of twice in the past year.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »

D

sure, not very many of us invest in glass without thinking it through.  For example, I have invested in the 10-22 and the 17-55 and this is not a trivial investment, but necessasy to optimize IQ across all conditions with one camera body. So let me re-frame the background of my question -- I was just calling out that there are three major EF-S lenses which form the biggest case for an investment in EF-S glass that would give one pause in a migration to FF, and that an investment in LONG EF-S glass is not sizable.   I did think, initially, that your response implied an investment in long EF-S but I see your comment is a more general statement that one  one should account for examples other than what I mentioned.     

Not to trivialize anyones choices or investments I was just highlighting the biggest case representing the most likely IQ fanatics that have a sizable EF-S investment that would be most impacted by a move to FF and that Canon would be the most concerned about in their branding and upgrade paths.  What are the EF-S lenses you have?   

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
After getting a 5DII and 16-35mm f/2.8L II, I sold the 10-22mm.

FWIW, after about a year of use I sold my 10-22mm for only $50 less than I paid when I bought it new from Amazon.  Pretty low barrier to moving to FF, IMO. 

A bigger barrier that some people cite is the cost to replace those lenses with their FF counterparts.  But I disagree - for the 10-22mm, even though I got the expensive 16-35 II, the 17-40mm is only 1mm less wide.  Likewise, there are a whole bunch of people who claim that there is no EF 'replacement' for the 17-55mm since the 24-105mm is a stop slower and the 24-70 does not have IS.  To that, I say false!!  The 'FF equivalent' of the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS would be a hypothetical 27-88mm f/4.5 IS lens - therefore, the 24-105mm on FF is wider, longer, and faster than the 17-55mm on APS-C (note: faster in terms of DoF for the same framing, but the 1.3-stop ISO advantage of FF more than makes up for the 1-stop loss of shutter speed, so really the only thing you lose is activation of the f/2.8 AF points).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »