November 29, 2014, 12:21:16 AM

Author Topic: Odds & Ends: 70D, 7D2, New Full Frame, D600 & Photoshop CS6  (Read 57984 times)

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Odds & Ends: 70D, 7D2, New Full Frame, D600 & Photoshop CS6
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »

I think PRO = xD regardless of sensor size.  From marketing point this makes more sense.

Prosumer & Consumer = mirrorless, xxxxD, xxxD or xxD.  Again regardless of sensor size. 

That is a fair way of doing it, however that would mean

- 7D would have to be renamed
- 5DII would have to be renamed
- 5DIII might have to be renamed

and I dont think that will happen

Traditionally the only pro cameras have been the 1 series

The single digits have been the semi pro

The double digits have been the 'enthusiasts'

The triple digits for the 'hobbyists'

The 4 digits the entry level

By Pro I mean anyone that earns a fair bit of money from their photography.  Be it full time (pro) or part time (semi-pro).  Also, Pro can also refer to ruggedness and overall ability.

From where I am sitting, the 5D is for sure a Pro camera.  I think it is safe to make an accurate (yet unsientific) conclusion that most Canon wedding shooters use that cam - thus it is Pro.  And from what I am reading, a lot of sport guys are using the 7D.

For me, there is a distinct difference between Pro and Flagship.  The Flagship cam will probably be Pro, but not all Pro cams will be flagship.
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2012, 01:13:19 AM »

I think PRO = xD regardless of sensor size.  From marketing point this makes more sense.

Prosumer & Consumer = mirrorless, xxxxD, xxxD or xxD.  Again regardless of sensor size. 

That is a fair way of doing it, however that would mean

- 7D would have to be renamed
- 5DII would have to be renamed
- 5DIII might have to be renamed

and I dont think that will happen

Traditionally the only pro cameras have been the 1 series

The single digits have been the semi pro

The double digits have been the 'enthusiasts'

The triple digits for the 'hobbyists'

The 4 digits the entry level

By Pro I mean anyone that earns a fair bit of money from their photography.  Be it full time (pro) or part time (semi-pro).  Also, Pro can also refer to ruggedness and overall ability.

From where I am sitting, the 5D is for sure a Pro camera.  I think it is safe to make an accurate (yet unsientific) conclusion that most Canon wedding shooters use that cam - thus it is Pro.  And from what I am reading, a lot of sport guys are using the 7D.

For me, there is a distinct difference between Pro and Flagship.  The Flagship cam will probably be Pro, but not all Pro cams will be flagship.

This is where people get tied up in definitions

- a pro photographer
- a pro camera

are not necessary linked

I know of a (good) pro wedding photographer that has a 400d as a backup body - does that make a 400d a pro camera? And a lot of second shooters have a G series as P&S for receptions.

To me a pro camera is one that will do all jobs, in all conditions, giving top IQ. That to me means 1 series as all the others fall down in weather proofing.

Yes a 5D is used by pro photographers - but how many wedding shoots are out in the rain?

jueming23

« Reply #272 on: July 17, 2012, 02:45:10 AM »
where is 70d?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #272 on: July 17, 2012, 02:45:10 AM »