April 17, 2014, 05:53:04 PM

Author Topic: CANON 1Dx - Action images - UEFA EURO 2012™  (Read 12242 times)

Archangel72

• Canon AE-1
  • Amateur on horizon!!! Brace yourselves for impact!
    • View Profile
    • Dreamstime
CANON 1Dx - Action images - UEFA EURO 2012™
« on: June 14, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
This is link from Carl Recine's action Images blogs on shooting UEFA EURO 2012™ with the EOS-1D X

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/uefa_euro_2012_blog_1.do

Enjoy !  :)

Archangel72
Canon EOS 1Dx, 16-35 f2.8 L II, 70-200 f2.8 L II, Extender EF 2x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Gitzo 3541L, Ballhead 3780QR, B&W S03 F-PRO Serie E 77mm & 82mm circular polarizer, SANDISK EXTREME PRO 16 GBx2, RODE stereo microphone, TC-80N3 timer cable remote control, Manfrotto PRO VII LINO collection

canon rumors FORUM

CANON 1Dx - Action images - UEFA EURO 2012™
« on: June 14, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »

Zouk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: CANON 1Dx - Action images - UEFA EURO 2012™
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
If what he says about 1DX tracking compared to the Mk IV... wow.  Awesome.

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 05:07:29 AM »
If what he says about 1DX tracking compared to the Mk IV... wow.  Awesome.

Yeah I have never felt confident with the AF of the 1D MK IV. It is very jumpy and i tend to overshoot everything in AI servo just to make sure that i have something in perfect focus. I need a solid and dependable AF for sports and weddings. While the 5D3 is supposed to be good at tracking, it lacks the speed I want.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »
WOW!  Thanks for posting!  Love them...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

SuperCrazySamurai

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »
Great pics...thanks for the link!

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:44:33 AM »
I want one!!!!

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »
I know I am going to be pounced upon for saying this, but I cant help it:

I just do not understand what is so special about these photos!!!!!!!!!!
I have seen such pictures 20 years ago.

[Not saying anything against 1dx or the photographer, but these photos are NOT great for ME.]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »

[Not saying anything against 1dx or the photographer, but these photos are NOT great for ME.]

Then I guess you haven't need to upgrade in a two decades...

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »

When you read you'll find that he got the shot of the goal when many others did not. In fact be claimed it was so fast that he got several frames and they were mostly tack sharp. The ability of the AF to stay locked on your subject and get closer to 12 fps is important. The 1D MK IV is claimed to be 10 fps but the AF is so jumpy that it feels more like 7-8 at most times unless your in single shot mode.

Photogs are going to be limited as to what they can post with pre-production models but sure enough we should see lots of great samples when the production models start shipping.... Hopefully next week for Japan

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »
"The old EOS-1D Mark IIIs struggled with heat haze a little bit, but EOS-1D X had no problems at all."

How is that possible? New camera eliminates heat haze? Or is it just about the AF?

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
"The old EOS-1D Mark IIIs struggled with heat haze a little bit, but EOS-1D X had no problems at all."

How is that possible? New camera eliminates heat haze? Or is it just about the AF?

Its about being able to focus thru the haze... Similar situation to shooting thru dust or worse backlit dust...

I had shot the attached photo with 5d2 with lots of dust flying and it struggled BIG time to get focus and I was using only the center focus..

http://greypartridgefilms.com/blog/wai-for-photographers/

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »

I am a relatively new photographer, unlike a pro like you. I have been a motion picture cinematographer for 15 years and have done several major movies but not done much still photography. I bought a 5d2 three years ago now the 5d3 and have pre ordered the 1dx.

I will upgrade to the best available so it helps me create better photos easier.

BUT the posted photos fail to show me any super technology. Again, I am NOT saying that 1dx will not have super focus etc... Or that the photographer is no good. Just that these photos fail to impress me. Photographers have managed to take such photos for decades... IMHO.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:11:35 PM by sanj »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »

When you read you'll find that he got the shot of the goal when many others did not. In fact be claimed it was so fast that he got several frames and they were mostly tack sharp. The ability of the AF to stay locked on your subject and get closer to 12 fps is important. The 1D MK IV is claimed to be 10 fps but the AF is so jumpy that it feels more like 7-8 at most times unless your in single shot mode.

Photogs are going to be limited as to what they can post with pre-production models but sure enough we should see lots of great samples when the production models start shipping.... Hopefully next week for Japan

I see your point.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »

I am a relatively new photographer, unlike a pro like you. I have been a motion picture cinematographer for 15 years and have done several major movies but not done much still photography. I bought a 5d2 three years ago now the 5d3 and have pre ordered the 1dx.

I will upgrade to the best available so it helps me create better photos easier.

BUT the posted photos fail to show me any super technology. Again, I am NOT saying that 1dx will not have super focus etc... Or that the photographer is no good. Just that these photos fail to impress me. Photographers have managed to take such photos for decades... IMHO.

With all that equipment you own I guess I shouldn't even post...

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »

Sounds like you have great gear but I wouldn't say that buying a more expensive camera would be hitting the easy button, in fact you are probably going to make it harder on yourself by buying a 1DX. You might want to look at the modes as you will notice that there is no fully automatic mode, rather the 1DX is stripped down to the bare essentials: Program (PE), Aperture Priority (AV), Shutter priority (TV) and Manual (M). The modes I use on my 1D MK IV are Manual (75%), AV (20%), and TV (5%) for when I want to get some motion blur with action photos. The feedback from a top notch action photographer is all the proof I need that the technology is advanced from the previous models. I'd like to get my hands on one but there is not a store around me that would carry one if they could even get it in stock. If the specs of the camera don't impress you then stick with the 5D3 which should be good enough as a main camera for any semi-pro and a second body for most professionals. The 1DX is marketed primarily for journalists, sports photographers, and wedding photographers. Lots of nature guys are waiting for f/8 AF but I would trade f/8 for better low-light AF any day!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »