Gear Talk > Lenses

Help picking lenses for vacation!

(1/6) > >>

photography:
Hey guys and gals! I was just wondering, my family is going on a vacation this summer to London, Paris and Venice. I would for sure bring my Canon 5D Mark II, but don't know what/how many lenses to bring. Seeing all the places are perfect photography spots. Should I carry around more than 1 lens? Also, I have currently, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM and lastly Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM. Which ones should I bring  :-[ Also, I saw the 8-15mm fisheye and quite liked it. Are there any owners here who would like to share their experiances with it? Would it be good to use on the trip? Thanks!  :)
Ryan

Albi86:
I would take the 24-105 and the 35.
I don't know about the 70-200, it's bulky and heavy. Have you considered buying a Tamron 70-300 VC USD?
Fair lens and cheap. Gives you extra reach and has an acceptable weight. Even if you just use it for travels, it may be a good purchase.
Although, given you're visiting cities, you could also do without a tele ;)

neuroanatomist:
Depends on how much you're willing to carry...  I'd probably take all of it.  ;)  On a trip to China last year, I brought your list (essentially - 16-35 II instead of 17-40, 70-200 II instead of MkI), and a TS-E 24mm II, 1.4x TC, and 430EX II, plus an S95 for times when taking a dSLR wouldn't be possible.  I used the 24-105mm the most, followed by the 70-200 II then the 35L.  Although I didn't use the UWA zoom or the TS-E that frequently, the shots I got with them would not have been possible with other lenses. 

For me, the key was the right way to carry all of that.  The gear all fit in a Lowepro Flipside 400AW, which I then packed into a Pelican Storm im2500 for the air travel (in case forced to check, also for a lockable case for the hotel room).  I packed a Lowepro Toploader Pro 65AW and a Lens Case 1W into the main luggage so I had an easy way to carry camera+lens and one extra lens on day outings.

The gear:

SteenerMe:
I think it depends if your going there for photography, or just to take pics while vacationing.  The 24-105 would be plenty for just walking around. If the former id bring the whole kit except the 35 which is covered by the 24-105.  And the fisheye is great but pretty niche. Super fun but def has a certain look. For architectural and lanscape photos theres a ton of distortion, somewhat correctable in post but not totally. Dont think youd regret buying it though...

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: SteenerMe on June 15, 2012, 12:57:05 PM ---If the former id bring the whole kit except the 35 which is covered by the 24-105. 

--- End quote ---

Well...except for the minor fact that the 35L lets in 8 times as much light as the 24-105L.  The 35L on a FF camera makes a truly excellent nighttime walkaround lens, especially in a in urban setting where people are possible subjects (the IS on the 24-105 lets you shoot at a much slower shutter speed, which means you get blurry people).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version