November 27, 2014, 05:21:53 PM

Author Topic: Should I wait?  (Read 8549 times)

fernando

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Should I wait?
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:27:32 AM »
Hello, new guy here!

I've been waiting so long to buy my first canon DSLR but sadly I didn't have the money. After months of working on commercials as an "actor" (I don't consider myself good at it, but I got lucky...I guess), I got my first paycheck of $2,500 .

My house got robbed today *bummer* so things are not going very good lately, so I really need to spend the money wisely. I wanted to ask for some honest opinions on when do you guys think the new Canons will be announced (5D,7D follow ups).

I don't want to go running to the store and buy a 60D or 7D and then find out that there's a new 5D Mark III or 8D two or three months later. At least I would like to see if there's any significant improvement in the video features (I only want it for video), so I can decide if the jump is big enough to justify buying it or if they are roughly the same.

I don't know if I should wait, I think I should. Any of you in a similar position? When do you guys honestly expect to see this new cameras announced?

Thanks!

(sorry if this post is in the wrong section)

canon rumors FORUM

Should I wait?
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:27:32 AM »

LuCoOc

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Should I wait?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:33:30 AM »
if you only want it for video you better get a camcorder. a dslr is a stilcam with die ability to capture video. autofucus hardly works. however it depends on what you want to use it for. anything thaat moves faster than a slow walking human won't work i think
7D - BG
3 Ls - 1 EF - 2 EF-s - 2 M42s
430EX II - YN560-III

knoxman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »
If you're in for a pro-level camera (5D-range), then wait.  Keep in mind that an announcement 3 months from now means about 6 months until general avaibility... 

Canon's update cycle is so spread out, it's virtually guaranteed that people will want to upgrade.  3 years on a digital body is a long time, assuming your pushing the limits of ISO performance (I am), auto-focus (which sucks on the 5DM2), or virtually anything related to video.  Most people who have been regularly using the 5DM2 will want to upgrade, be it to the 5DM3, 1D4, or even a Nikon D4.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
I would personally wait, especially because I use the Canons for video. And am really want the 5D3.

For stills, the new 5d3 probably won't be a gigantic jump, but for video it probably will be huge.

I guess if I were a still photographer, I would still wait just to have the latest tech in a few months.

fernando

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 04:06:37 PM »
Thanks for the answers.

Why does it takes 6 months for the camera to be available since the announcement? If I remember correctly, the T21,60D,T3I were available soon after the announcement. Is it because it's a new generation of Canons with new tech?

Also, I've seen some camcorders and even though they are specifically made for video, I prefer the way DSLR video looks, even if there's more complications.

I was expecting the new Canons to jump big in the photography department and not in video. These are photo cameras for a reason and that's what most people buy them for. If they start adding lots of video features the price will hike and I don't think they want to alienate their photography fan base.

So I don't expect a huge improvement in video, they know that video DSLR is not profitable enough to change their priorities. That's just what I think. I really want to wait and see if the new cameras are worth it for video. I wish we knew when these could be announced.

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »
Canon have a large enough range that theres always going to be one camera or another about to be updated. I take the view that if the camera does what I need, then why worry about more bells and whistles.

I still use a 30D, which will do me until the 1Ds mk4 appears. It was my introduction to digital and was bought only about 3 months before the 40D appeared, but that did not bother me at all. I have seen newer bodies come and go but made the concious decision not to upgrade until I can get at least 4 times the 30D's 8 (and a bit) MP. If the 1Ds4 is anything like its rumoured to be, I expect to still be using it in 10 years time.

So you see my mindset. Based on that,  my advise would be to be very honest with yourself about what you need a camera to do. As others have said, video is the newest gimmick, but do you want it? Do you want to print at A2 or bigger, or will A4 do? Do you expect to shoot available light images in a coal hole or at midnight or could you cope with less than stratospheric ISO's? Answer these questions and many others and you might find that you are focussing in on an existing camera rather than hoping that an as yet unannounced one will be the answer to your prayers. On the other hand should you decide that your analysis has shown you that you do need the 5D3 or 8D (or indeed like me the 1Ds4), then so be it.   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:34:32 PM by motorhead »

Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »
Hello Fernando !

What i sugest to you, is to get an entry level canon dslr such as a 550d (body only) and put in front of it L glass or at least FF compatible USM glass (for silent focusing during videos).

Then you'll progress and improve your skills quicker than waiting for an hypothetical 5dIII or 7dII release within 6months. 

I can suggest this lens combo:
* 17-40mm f/4 L
* 50mm f/1.4 usm
* 100mm 2.8 Macro (for APS-c cropped sensor, a long tele zoom is not very convenient and not very versatile unless you want to shoot wild animals)

If you want a unique, bright, top quality zoom :
* 24-70mm f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »
Canons factory is closed, and even if they open in a month or two, it will take a long time before things are back to normal.  Nikon is said to be looking off shore to be able to shift production.

If you wait very long, Cameras and lenses may be out of stock, or in short supply.  So its anybodies guess as to what to do.

Jonathan

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »
You're right, that's why Fernando has to choose a canon dslr right now if he wants to do good photographs during the upcoming summer.

If he wants the best camera, he can also wait ten years for the release of a 5d mark5 with the ultimate eye tracking AF and the ultimate 40Mp foveon alike sensor!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:00:20 PM by Jonathan »

fernando

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »
I get what you guys are saying, I didn't knew Canon was closed and that announcements were postponed.

If it wasn't for the poor compression that makes most of the footage look so soft, I would go and buy a 60D or 7D now. Looking at the GH2 footage, really makes you want to hold that purchase. Knowing that a $999 camera looks as good if not better than a 5D Mark II really makes you want to wait and see what's next.  Btw. I'm talking strictly about video here.

As for the GH2 as an alternative, I love the image quality but there's something about the Canon look that is more to my liking. If it wasn't for that I would be using a GH2.

I know NAB will probably not bring any announcements, but I'll hold till then at least.

In what other upcoming events could this cameras be announced?

iPrevailed

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
i just finished up saving up $2,500 for the 5D MkII. i am just gonna wait for the replacement. i am coming from the xti so it should be an excellent change.

armando

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 12:14:37 AM »
I went ahead and bought the 5d mkii, and holy heck is the image quality is really noticeable; even from the 7d -60d-t2i I own.

Honestly the 5d mkiii is something that is going to be pushed back even further after next year due to what is occurring in japan, but honestly what this camera is an insane image quality jump from the aps-c which it produces I don't really even think about wanting the mkiii this is everything i need and more.

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
I own both the 7D and the 5DmkII.  While I took notice of your desire to take video, I feel that my experience with the two may be helpful.  While I love the feel of the 7D and the better AF control and the speed of the 7D, I still don't use it as often as I do the 5DMKII. 
The reason is the lower noise at all resolutions and just higher resolutions on all my lenses.  I only shoot raw and I do much of my photoshop work in camera raw and less and less in photoshop itself.  The resulting images coming in from the 5DMKII just seem to always be better.  My final output are somewhat large prints in the 17x25 inch size normally and I do enjoy the fine detail in the 5DMKII and the L lenses.
To be trueful, I have not seen an EF-S lens that I like for large prints from aps-c sensors.  After all, in square mm, the aps size is about 50% the size of FF. 
Therefore my 2 cents is that the majority of a person's lifetime investment will be in lenes and not camera bodies which change quite often.  Bodies come and go but quality lenses can last.  Once a person has chosen to go FF, then their lens choices are better defined to match the characteristics of that FF format and not the smaller one.
Before I get too many negative comments about this postm, I do use my 7D and a 500mm on a Wimberly to get lightning quick shots of birds in flight with that 1.6 mag factor giving me an 800mm lens for about 50% of the cost of a true FF 800 as well as that magnificant flash control function that is in the 7D coupled with the better AF.  The combination of both camera bodies makes me a happy camper most of the time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
Hi,
I had the same problem as you. Didn't know whether to wait or go for it. After getting some advice from this forum and other places I decided the best time to buy was now. I got the 7D and couldn't be happier.
For video perfomance you might want to check out this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Hcv73N7kA

Filmed using the 7D and a Sigma lens. the quality is excellent given the somewhat challenging lighting conditions.
Go for it, you won't be disappointed. As your skills improved, you can then move on to the super-pro 5Ds etc. At least, that's my plan. But I figure the 7D will keep me happy and occupied for atleast another two years before I'm ready to go all out.
BTW, I have now had my 7D for two weeks.

Hope this helps.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »
That looks great.

I've never tried video, but I think shooting stills at a bowling ally is much more technically challenging than even the worst lit wedding.  The difference in light levels between on the lane, and off the lane (or even just on the approach/skirt) is HUGE.  If you could use a flash it would be easy, but without, it's nearly impossible to keep the background from being severely (or at least distractingly) overexposed, and have the bowler properly exposed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »