September 21, 2014, 06:31:46 AM

Author Topic: Is the 5DIII the New 50D?  (Read 10293 times)

TotoEC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Is the 5DIII the New 50D?
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 06:06:50 AM »

I was simply speculating on the sustainability, given what appear to be some pretty significant market pressures that may be just around the corner (Pressures, by the way, that are self-inflicted by these two companies if they really do elect to release low-cost full frame models.)

I don't seem to find any correlation of what you've stated vesus the title of your post:  "Is the 5DIII the New 50D?"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:13:00 AM by TotoEC »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 06:06:50 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2012, 06:10:38 AM »
Chuck Alaimo,

I was simply speculating on the sustainability, given what appear to be some pretty significant market pressures that may be just around the corner (Pressures, by the way, that are self-inflicted by these two companies if they really do elect to release low-cost full frame models.)

I don't seem to find any correlation of what you've stated vesus the title of your post:  "Is the 5DIII the New 50D?"

This is the start of a D600 vs 5DIII thread hijak where Canon are stated as money grabbing with inferor products  >:(

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2012, 07:27:41 AM »
Chuck Alaimo,

This is the start of a D600 vs 5DIII thread hijak where Canon are stated as money grabbing with inferor products  >:(
i'm really disappointed that you forgot to mention the substandard DR of canon and blah blah blah

yeah its all getting a bit old isn't it?
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »
Chuck Alaimo,

i'm really disappointed that you forgot to mention the substandard DR of canon and blah blah blah

yeah its all getting a bit old isn't it?

Indeed.

I am waiting for the naughty forty to arrive on Monday - then I should be able to use the 7D as a street camera.

I do agree about the 5DIII getting a bad name, but it seems mostly to be based on forums with a large North American group of users. UK based sites are all singing its praises, even with the odd hitch here and there - they dont seem to care about the light leak as it didn't impact their images

My 5DIII owning friend had to send his back to Canon for 'adjustment'. Took 4 days to do (from posting to return). He is now producing stunning pictures with it. His pictures with a large white show just how good it really is - I would say basic IQ is as good as the 1DS3 (although I still prefer the 1DS3 colour rendition and low noise at iso 50-200)

He upgraded from a 50D - and is blown away by it.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »
Chuck Alaimo,

Basically, I don't think we are in disagreement. Like you, I've been amazed at how well these two cameras (one at $3,000 and one at $3,500) have been selling when compared to much lower priced models. I just checked the Amazon list and both are in the top 50 for all cameras and photo, which includes point and shoots. And, this at a time when the economy is still struggling.

I enjoy watching the competitive market work, observing how companies react and trying to guess where the market and companies may go next.  Most product releases are pretty predictable. And, Canon and Nikon have traditionally released products that are remarkably similar at virtually identical price points. The 5DIII and D800 seemed to break that pattern. Did one of the companies make a mistake? Only time will tell. I just enjoy watching and trying to figure it all out.

Under this kind of logic, the d800 faces the same potential irrelevancy.  How will a brand new cheap FF affect the market?  Whether its nikon or canon, if the sub $2000 FF hits the market and the IQ isn't half bad, and that cam has a nikon name tag on it, then you should be more worried about the d800 becoming nikons 50D. 

Either way, my original statement stands --- too soon to tell.  If we ARE to judge this on a here and now level, the mkiii is currently ranked 4th in dslr sales at amazon - and that is far from being irrelevant.

Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »