April 17, 2014, 12:26:50 PM

Author Topic: Canon Rebel T4i Review With Video Samples  (Read 5410 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Rebel T4i Review With Video Samples
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »
A good review of the new Canon Rebel T4i
The folks at Cinema 5D have posted a review of the new Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D.

From Cinema 5D about their test camera
“The beta firmware version had some limitations like I couldn’t adjust the white balance or had wrong exposure at times. This should be resolved in the final version.

The handling of the camera was nice, although I didn’t find the button layout perfect for video (having to reach with the wrong hand to the wrong side of the camera).”

Source: [C5D]

cr

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:27:39 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Rebel T4i Review With Video Samples
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
Re: Canon Rebel T4i Review With Video Samples
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 12:27:08 PM »
I was interested in this camera ...

... but obvious moire! No Go for me.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
That's about what I expected for the auto-focus. Maybe the STM lenses will be smoother, but, the sample in that video is just a slightly improved version of the Nikon auto-focus. It certainly doesn't replace or come close to video camera AF

AndrewReid

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »
The AF seemed to hunt - i.e. go beyond point of focus then backtrack. That wasn't very nice. AF is better with the STM lenses, and silent. I've seen it in action and it is pretty nice.

However the GH2, NEX 7 and E-M5 all offer better image quality and auto-focus in video mode than Canon's offering. I'd avoid the 650D unless you have a massive collection of Canon glass and are using it for stills with the odd video snapshot, which I suspect most people who buy this camera are going to do... For the rest of us, especially filmmakers, it is a disappointment and the 5D Mark III is not that much better apart from the fixed moire. $15,000 is a big step up from the 650D for Cinema EOS line, why can't we have more affordable large sensor video options from Canon?

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »
The AF seemed to hunt - i.e. go beyond point of focus then backtrack. That wasn't very nice. AF is better with the STM lenses, and silent. I've seen it in action and it is pretty nice.

However the GH2, NEX 7 and E-M5 all offer better image quality and auto-focus in video mode than Canon's offering. I'd avoid the 650D unless you have a massive collection of Canon glass and are using it for stills with the odd video snapshot, which I suspect most people who buy this camera are going to do... For the rest of us, especially filmmakers, it is a disappointment and the 5D Mark III is not that much better apart from the fixed moire. $15,000 is a big step up from the 650D for Cinema EOS line, why can't we have more affordable large sensor video options from Canon?

Eventually Canon will provide a compelling option, but affordable large sensor video is in it's infancy.

The best value right now is probably the Sony FS700 (or the FS100). Not cheap, but reviews are good. And you can use all of your Canon EF lenses with an adaptor.

BCMAR15

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »
Uh, he's testing a BETA version, hello?

Besides, why would ANYONE come on to Canon Rumors and recommend against investing in Canon?  What, they're never going to leap frog Nikon Sony's sensor tech again...they're going to declare Chapter 11 any day now?

"I don't like this camera, so unless you own $10,000 of Canon lenses, you should send your money to Panasonic, Sony, or Olympus."

A big fat, HUH?

robef

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »

He was using the EF-S 55-250 which is pretty slow AF anyway.  Would have been nice to see with something faster... doesn't necessarily have to be the STM lenses which AFAICT are all about noise rather than speed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »

gene_can_sing

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »
It's strange that they fixed the moire and aliasing in the 5D3, but not in this camera. It's the same video quality as 4 years ago. :(

I was hoping to pick one up as a cheap B-Cam to the Sony FS, but the Aliasing and Moire make it a no go. I'm still a bit baffled by all the crippling that Canon is doing to their products. I would have gladly bought a 5D3 and the new Rebel if it just had a few more basic, yet essential 2012 video features (true HD resolution, no moire/aliasing, 1080p 60fps)  :(

Well, these videos should make the stills people happy, as it just further drives us video folks away from Canon as there is no viable mid-level video option (btw $4K to $8K). Soon enough, Canon will be back to just being a Stills camera company.

tomsop

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
the reviewer is playing around with fixed objects.  The camera was built for people like me with kids - he could not find any kids or dogs to vide so we could see AF work with moving objects?  What a poorly executed review video in my opinion.

I am in the market - I had an old Rebel without video.  I want video but not this quality video.  I gues I'll have to juggle multiple equipment to get my video and stills shots.  This is why I just reach for my iphone 4s.

Since the camera is shipping I'll wait for people to post their videos to vimeo or youtube and give it one more chance.  Still want to see unedited video with STM lenses capturing real world scenarios.

robef

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
the reviewer is playing around with fixed objects.  The camera was built for people like me with kids - he could not find any kids or dogs to vide so we could see AF work with moving objects?  What a poorly executed review video in my opinion.

Exactly!  I wanna see someone 20ft away from the camera walk directly toward the lens!

rockychocbill

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 06:03:52 PM »
Since the camera is shipping I'll wait for people to post their videos to vimeo or youtube and give it one more chance.  Still want to see unedited video with STM lenses capturing real world scenarios.

Agreed. Although after watching that clip I'd have to say that jumping on a 60D or T3i at their super sale prices right now is tempting. Still too much new stuff coming down the pike, but my fear is that it's all going to be much higher priced than what we're "hoping" for. Might jump on a 60D anyway and then possibly upgrade after the dust has settled on all the new stuff.

crazyrunner33

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »
Very disappointing, I'm assuming this means that this is using line skipping which will mean the noise at high ISO will be almost as bad the noise on a 7D, 60D, T3i and T2i.  I'll wait for the next year to see what Canon has to offer for us video guys.  Panasonic has the best affordable DSLR for video, then for professional use the Black Magic and the Sony cams are looking like the ticket.

ed24

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 08:17:35 PM »
I pray that the new lenses don't suffer from that horrible recoil after the lens has finished hunting for focus.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 08:17:35 PM »