April 17, 2014, 09:00:21 PM

Author Topic: Recommendations for vacation lenses and gear  (Read 5458 times)

myone

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for vacation lenses and gear
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »
I was just at SD Zoo 2 days ago and here is what I observed.

1) It's hot and sunny. The animals will be sleeping or hiding under shades and not easily seen. Thus, they are not easy to be shot no matter what lens you have.
2) About 1/2 of the animals on display are behind thick glasses. With the amount of reflections and glare, it is impossible to get good shots. I even tried circular polarizer filter, doesn't help
3) For everything else behind wires and cages, you will need 70-200.

I was shooting 5D3 and the longest lens I have is 24-70, which doesn't do any good. My wife was shooting a T2i with 24-105. She was able to get some good shots, but for some, it is still not quite long enough.

After a while shooting animals, you will get bored because they do not move much. The best bet is to put the focus on your kids, and only shoot animals that are interesting to see. After all, your kids will give you expressions. The animals will be just laying on the floors or branches, sleeping.
5D3 | EOS M | 24-70L | 24-105L | 35L | 17-40L | 60,2.8 | 430EXII | EF-M 22 pancake | EF-M 18-55

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
After reading this I can honestly say I would never go on vacation with the OP.  I understand and sympathize with his wife.  My simple rule of thumb, if the camera takes up more space than a extra pair of shoes it's too much.  The reasoning here is no one should go on a vacation that requires more than one extra pair of shoes, otherwise it's not really a vacation.  All that is needed for a family vacation is one camera and one lens.  It definitely does not require multiple posts/threads on an internet forum.  It shouldn't be this hard.  My $0.02: there is so much to do and see in Southern California you shouldn't waste it setting f stops and shutter speeds. 

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »
+1
My wife has a method to curb excessive photography on my part while on vacation; when I start over shooting..she starts shopping :)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »
+1
My wife has a method to curb excessive photography on my part while on vacation; when I start over shooting..she starts shopping :)

Those shots better be the best of our life for that price!   :o

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 07:20:36 PM »
All that is needed for a family vacation is one camera and one lens.

Ok.  I choose a 1D X and 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS.   :D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 07:52:03 PM »
All that is needed for a family vacation is one camera and one lens.

Ok.  I choose a 1D X and 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS.   :D

I see you chose a cheap and light combination ;D

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 08:02:40 AM »
After reading this I can honestly say I would never go on vacation with the OP.  I understand and sympathize with his wife.  My simple rule of thumb, if the camera takes up more space than a extra pair of shoes it's too much.  The reasoning here is no one should go on a vacation that requires more than one extra pair of shoes, otherwise it's not really a vacation.  All that is needed for a family vacation is one camera and one lens.  It definitely does not require multiple posts/threads on an internet forum.  It shouldn't be this hard.  My $0.02: there is so much to do and see in Southern California you shouldn't waste it setting f stops and shutter speeds.

That's why I posted on this thread. I have never been to CA and have never traveled with ff yet. Otherwise I would have went with my old 60d and 15-85 and have been good but I have this gear and want to have the great shots it takes of memories that are worth it rather than kids hanging around the couch or the cats. That's also why we bought a little Sony nex to be lightweight some days. So I should comeback with crappy shots with a power shot ? Am I supposed to put those on my walls?
2 x 5d iii, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 08:02:40 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »
So I should comeback with crappy shots with a power shot ?

Heck, don't bring a camera with you at all.  I'm sure they still sell those little disposable 35mm film cameras at se
Sea World and the zoo.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 08:28:47 AM »

That's why I posted on this thread. I have never been to CA and have never traveled with ff yet. Otherwise I would have went with my old 60d and 15-85 and have been good but I have this gear and want to have the great shots it takes of memories that are worth it rather than kids hanging around the couch or the cats. That's also why we bought a little Sony nex to be lightweight some days. So I should comeback with crappy shots with a power shot ? Am I supposed to put those on my walls?

I hope that we keep to answering your questions and refrain from pontificating or trying to manage your vacation for you.  You have goals --  and there are a great many of us interested in helping you fulfil them.  I can fit more than a pair of extra shoes in my camera bag, for example -- my wife and I are still together, and we love the photos I get.  my feedback is that I applaud you for planing ahead and there's no reason why you can't expose some of your thinking here to benefit from the experience of others.   

I travel with a 17-55, a 28-135,  and a 70-200.  Every vacation day has its goals, both personally and photographically and I bring that portion of my equipment that suits the needs of the day while balancing the security risk of leaving a lens in the hotel safe, for example,  if I don't want to carry it with me that day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 08:28:47 AM »