October 21, 2014, 02:26:23 AM

Author Topic: 1D Mark IV and indoor basketball question  (Read 4915 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
1D Mark IV and indoor basketball question
« on: June 16, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
This winter I'm going to be shooting indoor basketball for a high school in Mansfield, OH.  I have a 1D Mark IV that I've used extensively for outdoor well-lit sports (track mainly).  To practice, I went to an open-gym just to get an idea on focal lengths and perspectives.  The trouble I had was metering.  There was a door open at one end of the gym letting massive amounts of outdoor light in, with a huge blown highlight area on the floor.  Ok, I can work around that.  However, I had trouble metering in the gym and got quite a few over and underexposed images.  What is the best way to meter for these situations, such as indoor gyms?  I haven't had any trouble outside because that's easier, and controlled portrait indoor light hasn't been a problem.  But there are no flashes allowed and I was wondering if there is a more robust way to meter action indoors.  I've never done this before.  Thanks!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

1D Mark IV and indoor basketball question
« on: June 16, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »

briansquibb

Re: 1D Mark IV and indoor basketball question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »
I would suggest spot metering and ignore the blown backgrounds if that was possible

Else this is time for M mode by taking a few sample shots before the action starts. This will give you opportunity to get the best compromise

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
I would suggest spot metering and ignore the blown backgrounds if that was possible

Else this is time for M mode by taking a few sample shots before the action starts. This will give you opportunity to get the best compromise

So trial and error type thing?  Maybe try something more white than gray let's say?  Then snap a few shots and check the meter and histogram?  Thanks.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »

So trial and error type thing?  Maybe try something more white than gray let's say?  Then snap a few shots and check the meter and histogram?  Thanks.

Thats about all you can do, cameras do not have enough DR at higher ISO's to properly expose both bright and dark areas.  Even at ISO 100, DR is not able to handle it perfectly, and you are likely to be cranking up the ISO.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »
Ok, thanks guys. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »
I have been shooting indoor high school basketball for a couple of years now.  I am curious when (what time of day) you took your practice shots.  I ask because, in my experience, in Jacksonville, Florida, the games are taking place after 6:00 in the evening, in the winter time. This means that, while you can get situations where you have sun coming in some windows in the gym, creating odd lighting conditions for short period of time near sunset, the bigger issue for me has been an overall lack of light. Some of these high school gyms are seriously dark.

I do find that using spot metering, tends to give me optimal results in those moments where there is residual daylight to worry about, so I recommend trying that and using either aperture priority or shutter priority. 

You will not have this problem because you're shooting with a 1D Mark IV, but because I shoot with a 40D (soon stepping up to the 1DX), I have had to shoot with shutter priority in order to stop the action. Aperture priority would result in too slow a shutter speed most of the time (for my camera).  I cannot shoot at ISOs higher than 6400 at all, and at 6400, I get some pretty bad noise.  So, with this old camera, I tend to get shots which stop the action but are under-exposed initially. Then I can boost the exposure and deal with the noise in post. As you might imagine, I am REALLY looking forward the the major improvements that will come with the 1DX.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
I have been shooting indoor high school basketball for a couple of years now.  I am curious when (what time of day) you took your practice shots.  I ask because, in my experience, in Jacksonville, Florida, the games are taking place after 6:00 in the evening, in the winter time. This means that, while you can get situations where you have sun coming in some windows in the gym, creating odd lighting conditions for short period of time near sunset, the bigger issue for me has been an overall lack of light. Some of these high school gyms are seriously dark.

I do find that using spot metering, tends to give me optimal results in those moments where there is residual daylight to worry about, so I recommend trying that and using either aperture priority or shutter priority. 

You will not have this problem because you're shooting with a 1D Mark IV, but because I shoot with a 40D (soon stepping up to the 1DX), I have had to shoot with shutter priority in order to stop the action. Aperture priority would result in too slow a shutter speed most of the time (for my camera).  I cannot shoot at ISOs higher than 6400 at all, and at 6400, I get some pretty bad noise.  So, with this old camera, I tend to get shots which stop the action but are under-exposed initially. Then I can boost the exposure and deal with the noise in post. As you might imagine, I am REALLY looking forward the the major improvements that will come with the 1DX.

I went to an OPEN GYM to practice.  It's June, and it was 6pm, so there was a lot of light.

Anyways, thanks for your advice.  When I go to the next one here in a few days, I am going to practice with spot metering.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »
1D4 is fine at iso 6400 just remember to meter to the right by using ec+1

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »

Ok Brian, so when I meter, I'll get a correct exposure.  THEN, go +1 EC after that?  Or, simply meter to +1 (either way I guess)?  Thanks.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »

Ok Brian, so when I meter, I'll get a correct exposure.  THEN, go +1 EC after that?  Or, simply meter to +1 (either way I guess)?  Thanks.

Just set ec to +1 and take pictures as normal

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »

Just set ec to +1 and take pictures as normal

Got ya.  Thanks!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 09:21:17 PM »
Why not just expose correctly at 3200? You'd get the same shutter speed and less noise.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:35:27 AM »
If you haven't already, try changing the custom functions.  Under CF IV, you have the ability to use the AF On button for focusing and the shutter button is just used for setting the exposure (and taking the photo!).  This way, you can maintain focus on the subject and the camera will continually adjust the exposure depending upon how bright or dark the section of the court is.  When its photo time, the camera calculates the exposure required at the time of taking the photo (and not when you first start focusing).  This works well when you are dealing with constantly changing lighting.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:12:00 AM by Hillsilly »
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:35:27 AM »

photophreek

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 12:37:01 AM »
Look at page 105 of the 1D IV manual.  I haven't tried or tested this with my 1D IV, but it would seem that it might help with your shooting situation.

briansquibb

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:50:03 AM »
Look at page 105 of the 1D IV manual.  I haven't tried or tested this with my 1D IV, but it would seem that it might help with your shooting situation.

That works well with weddings/landscapes etc - but not for fast moving sport

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:50:03 AM »