July 25, 2014, 01:41:03 PM

Author Topic: Pentax to also use the 24MP Sony FF sensor?  (Read 12924 times)

intence01

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Pentax to also use the 24MP Sony FF sensor?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 03:09:37 AM »
I'm not surprised in the least.  Traditionally, Pentax, Nikon and Minolta would use Sony sensors.  In fact, Sony's highly regarded 6MP DSLR sensor was used by all three before Sony took-over Minolta. 

What will be interesting will be if Sony and Pentax can still provide in body image stabilization with a FF sensor.  Previously this was possible due to having room for the crop sensor to move in relation to a FF lens.  With a FF lens and FF sensor, i'm wondering how/if they'll achieve this.

Pentax has been struggling lately as they were purchased by Hoya, and then by Ricoh I believe.  We'll see how they continue to progress but it's not surprising that they've opted for a Sony sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 03:09:37 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 03:51:24 AM »
Pentax is dead, or rather undead.

Shame about Pentax - they used to be market leaders.

I had several Spotmatics of different sorts - got some beautifull pictures from them

A lesson for Nikon/Canon to learn from

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 10:04:50 PM »
Pentax is dead, or rather undead.

Shame about Pentax - they used to be market leaders.

I had several Spotmatics of different sorts - got some beautifull pictures from them

A lesson for Nikon/Canon to learn from

What is the lesson to learn though?  Its been proven over and over that making the best product does not keep you in business. 

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »
It's been proven over and over that making the best product does not keep you in business.

Neither can nostalgia be relied upon for sales.
I'd hate to think how many rolls of Kodak my mum passed through her Pentax Spotmatic...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 10:51:44 PM »
It's been proven over and over that making the best product does not keep you in business.

Neither can nostalgia be relied upon for sales.
I'd hate to think how many rolls of Kodak my mum passed through her Pentax Spotmatic...

Yes, its particularly sad with Kodak, they had a running start on digital technology, but really could not conceive of how fast photography would change.  They needed to literally bet the company on digital technology, but they just dabbled and kept believing film would not go away in the next 100 years.  Fujifilm ate into their once big profits on film, while digital took most of the sales away almost overnight.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »
Rumors are starting about Pentax also using Sony's 24MP FF sensor in a camera for March 2013.

If Canon can't bring out something with 24MP (or more) before March 2013 then every major camera manufacturer will have a 24MP FF camera except for Canon. Sony (ex Minolta), Nikon and Pentax.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

What wrong with 18MP & 22MP on FF??? too fast for you to handle???

Pentax FF + tamron or sigma lenses = kid toys.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 01:10:37 AM »

An opinion based on what?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 01:10:37 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 02:03:39 AM »

An opinion based on what?

Probably based on the same way that unreleased Nikons are praised - spec sheets

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 04:56:54 AM »

yap...it like to shoot panoramas with a 16-35L ii compared to a 14-24 nikon...but maybe the 16-35 is a portrait lens judging how soft borders are :D

sigma deliver great lenses

@dilbert

21mpix,22mpix,24mpix.... but who cares. sony got a 24mpix FF camera since 2008 and no-one cared
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 05:15:11 AM »
Or they simply pick whatever message Canon isn't pushing at that moment in time...  ;)

To be fair, most reviews warmly welcomed the updates on the 5d3 and mostly said it's a great all-around camera. But any review that takes relative price into account (vs. the 5d2 or the competition) might mention the price tag, just like many people in this forum.

But since the sensor is a major component of a digital camera, there's hardly any way to ignore the little improvement after so many years, even if you are very friendly towards Canon. DXO just emphasizes this by putting more weight into the sensor and giving a score to remember.
Most reviews of the 5D MkIII I've seen are showing a 1-2 stop improvement in noise control, it's a matter of opinion as to whether that is a large improvement, but it's certainly significant. What is definitely a large improvement though, is AF and while it is only two fps faster, that also represents a 50% improvement, so again, some would argue a large increase, while others wouldn't. Again though, it is certainly signficant, as it will now have some uses as a sports/action camera, something you could never say about the MkII. While it still isn't fast enough for many sports applications, it does extend its usefulness. Then you have the significant improvements to weather sealing, which wasn't very good on the MkII.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »

BTW Pentax is a smaller company than Canikon, it's hard for them to keep the pace in the R&D division.

Herein lies the rub, in Japan, honor/ corporate ego have high stakes. How can Canon use a Sony Sensor? Well Mighty Sony, the king of TV manufacturers for decades, began a pragmatic approach and used Samsung Panels. If Canon cannot get the DR of Exmor, then it needs to license it from Sony... Drop the ego dribble and give your consumers something to cheer about.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

paulc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »
Just because you're in second place for a product cycle or two does not mean you throw in the towel.  Years ago big iron computer manufacturers developed their own CPUs.  Then Intel convinced them to stop development of their own proprietary CPUs and switch to their new Itanium CPU.  Those that did are either extinct, a shadow of their former greatness or waning.  A couple of them didn't buy into it.  The one that charged ahead hard on R&D is still in the game.

Making CMOS sensors is what Canon does.  If everyone else is repackaging the same core then what's the competitive advantage?  If you switch from making your own product to trying to resell someone else's product then you're just another layer of retail, one that will eventually get circumvented.  In this case Sony only has to wait for Pentax and Nikon to eventually kill off their own sensor R&D operations, then next time that contract is up just sit back and laugh.  In the in-between years Sony's competitors are fueling R&D for Sony.

Pentax and Nikon would do far better to be acquired by bigger companies with deep pockets, R&D resources and patent portfolios than help their competitor slit their throats.

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »

BTW Pentax is a smaller company than Canikon, it's hard for them to keep the pace in the R&D division.

Herein lies the rub, in Japan, honor/ corporate ego have high stakes. How can Canon use a Sony Sensor? Well Mighty Sony, the king of TV manufacturers for decades, began a pragmatic approach and used Samsung Panels. If Canon cannot get the DR of Exmor, then it needs to license it from Sony... Drop the ego dribble and give your consumers something to cheer about.

I'm not sure if you've been following the news, but Sony is in dire straights currently.  It even had to resort to laying off people, which is something Japanese companies just don't do.  Sony also has taken a huge hit in the last 5 years in brand image while Canon has not. 
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »

markd61

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »

What will be interesting will be if Sony and Pentax can still provide in body image stabilization with a FF sensor.

If I am not mistaken Sony offered in camera IS in the Alpha 850,900, and 950.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:13 AM »
If everyone else is repackaging the same core then what's the competitive advantage? 

This is an interesting topic - Have a look at Thom Hogan's site (http://bythom.com/) where he provides a good explanation why a Sony sensored Nikon is still a Nikon and has differences / advantages over other brands. 

The latest rumors suggest the Pentax FF will be a mirrorless camera.  Now, that will be very controversial.   Pentax has a couple of good bodies at the entry level and the k-5 enthusiast body has been well received.  But many people eventually leave Pentax as they don't have a FF option (ignoring the 645D).  I doubt a mirrorless camera is what Pentax users have been clamouring for.  But then, Pentax's owners, Ricoh, have always favoured smaller cameras.  Interesting times for Pentax and Pentax users.

As a side issue, I'm always surprised that Pentax ranks so low in camera sales.  Their products and pricing seem ok.  They release new cameras and lenses regularly, so they are investing in some R & D.  Some of their lenses get great reviews.  And they must have some brand loyalty from being a key industry player for so long.  Its a bit of a mystery to me why they don't do better.  Will a Leica clone change their fortunes?
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:13 AM »